scared

furryboots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people,cyber bullying,broccoli,cabbage,onion,garlic,avocado,any prepared food
hi,i put up a post a few weeks ago after being diagnosed with possible type 2 diabetes,i am atypical,i have always been slim and follow a low fat diet because of gallstones,i have gone from 8 and 1/2 stone to just over 7,i was put on cyclazide and given a meter,they have done pancreatic blood tests and my pancreas has shut down so basically my body is eating what body fat i have,at first i was put on a low fat diet but now i am on 'weigh up',i am trying really hard to eat more but it doesnt seem to be working,for last 3 days my readings for glucose have been hi,i havent seen my gp since i first consulted him and he recommended blood tests and its mostly phone consults with nurse practitioner,i dont have initial meet with diabetic nurse till wednesday,the hi readings are worrying me so any advice would be helpful,thanks

K

Kat100

Hello, afraid I can't give you much feedback, except that I do low fat, problems before and after gallstone operation , with a malabsorption problem..
You might like to see a professional who is an expert in diets ....you have the right to ask to be referred via your gp, sounds like you need some guidance and support .....:)

You will have so much information to take on board over the next few months to in put some changes which suit you in place ...
Don't be scared there is help available out there and support here....and in other places....get as much support as you can
talk about your feelings as much as you want to ...these are early days and everything must feel like a shock...
Let us know how you get on with your appointment .....stay in touch with us , the safer thing is you have been diagnosed so you can start to,understand what you are dealing with....take care ....best wishes ...Kat.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With readings of 'hi' you need to go back to your gp tomorrow. You will never gain any weight whilst you have 'hi' readings.

Your gp needs to sort out meds to get your levels down asap.

Please get an appt to see GP or go to a&e with a packed overnight bag.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You do need to reduce the carbs but obviously raising the fats is difficult with gallstones. Do increase the proteins anyway. I suspect you should go onto insulin soon if you can't increase fats as this may the only way you can put weight back on by having some carbs which the insulin will allow. Do pressure the nurse for this to be considered urgently. BTW I suspect you are not T2 but Late onset T1. This is often mis-diagnosed as T2 and your weight loss and low insulin implies you are a T1 with insulin following Gliclazide. The latter drug won't work if your islet cells are knackered like mine.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If your pancreas has shut down, them that would indicate that you need insulin from injections.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Furryboots

How do you feel? I wouldn't hang about until Wednesday. Phone the doc first thing in the morning and get sorted.

As you are lucky enough to live in Scotland, be sure to sign up for http://www.mydiabetesmyway.scot.nhs.uk where you can access your medical records online. Might come in handy.

Reactions: 2 people

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with donnellysdogs, you need to go back to your doctor first thing tomorrow, you are losing weight because of your high blood sugars. These need sorting out first, the weight loss is only a secondary problem.

fig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your blood sugars are high your body isn't able to covert the sugar into energy like it should be doing. You need energy so your body starts breaking down fat instead (this is why you lose weight). when fat is broken down you get ketones which will make you feel really poorly so you need to get back to the doctors tomorrow and tell them that your blood sugars are really high and get them to do something to help you

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
hi,i put up a post a few weeks ago after being diagnosed with possible type 2 diabetes,i am atypical,i have always been slim and follow a low fat diet because of gallstones,i have gone from 8 and 1/2 stone to just over 7,i was put on cyclazide and given a meter,they have done pancreatic blood tests and my pancreas has shut down so basically my body is eating what body fat i have,at first i was put on a low fat diet but now i am on 'weigh up',i am trying really hard to eat more but it doesnt seem to be working,for last 3 days my readings for glucose have been hi,i havent seen my gp since i first consulted him and he recommended blood tests and its mostly phone consults with nurse practitioner,i dont have initial meet with diabetic nurse till wednesday,the hi readings are worrying me so any advice would be helpful,thanks
I would ring the NHS health line. Immediately. With a bit of luck you'll be asked to go up to the hospital and be given the care you need! Good luck.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If that is actually "HI" on the blood sugar meter display, which means "off the chart", and it's being going on for days then you actually need an ambulance. You could be at risk of ketoacidosis which is very serious. If you just mean 'high numbers' then it's still serious. You probably need insulin, even if just temporarily, and it's possible that you are late onset Type 1 diabetic and that your own insulin production has failed. You should get GAD tests and C-peptide tests right away to determine this. However, credit to your doctor for getting you a blood glucose meter.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OK sorry if it was posted in good faith but it's a video that starts in a loud cheesy American voice and it's a hard sell for a miracle cure.

And you signed up today, this was about your first post, and in any event this thread is not an appropriate place to be making posts like that when we have an upset person who is very bewildered.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's not a miracle cure I reversed diabetes in 3 weeks and wanted to share with you guys..
I was scared to death!
Ok well maybe start your own thread, tell us about yourself, tell your experience, rather than just posting a link to a commercial site.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
<shameless marketing BS>

Mate, this is SPAM. You are linking to a commercial site. End of.

[update]
Two Advertising Standards Agency adjudications sustained against the author.
The link contains an affiliate tracking code (to give the poster commission money)
This is odious and you need to be IP blocked as a persistent spammer.

Last edited by a moderator:

furryboots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people,cyber bullying,broccoli,cabbage,onion,garlic,avocado,any prepared food
hi guys,wow,thanks for responses,as for eejit spammer,i havent figured out how to blast him from here yet so thanks for reporting him,well i have been on insulin for a couple of weeks now,kwikpen slow release twice a day,gettin a few hypos as we try to regulate dose,eyesight has really gone to pot sp excuse any mistakes,retinal screening is still 3 weeks awa so reading and crafting are oot the window alomg wi what sanity i had left ;),was spendin a lot of time goin backward and forward to 'big' hospital but thankfully one more trip to dietician and then local team take over,i still get disbelief that i have type 1 'at my age' that was from a pharmacist,i'm still scared witless,not a huge leap but from what i could read i'm not alone,thank you,