Meaning of Physical Exercises for Type-1 Diabetes ??

Selim Melen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello friends,

We know that, physical exercises are extremely important for both PRE_DIABETES and TYPE-2 DIABETES.

What about TYPE-1 ??

On the other hand ; we know that TYPE-1 IS NOT REVERSIBLE. And there is nothing to do to turn body normal glucose processes.

If YES ; Then my question is ;

Is there any meaning of physical exercises for TYPE-1 DIABETES ??

Thanks......

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Any exercise is good, as long as your moving it will benefit your diabetes and cardiovascular health.

I don't do much more than walking and the occasional bike ride.

Reactions: 2 people

Selim Melen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any exercise is good, as long as your moving it will benefit your diabetes and cardiovascular health.

I don't do much more than walking and the occasional bike ride.

I understand that physical exercises is useful for cardiovasculer system.
But, why is physical exercises useful for diabetes if you are TYPE-1. ??
Especially if it is not possible to re-gain pancreas .........

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Exercise increases insulin sensitivity, helps to maintain weight, lowers bp and cholesterol levels, gives you more energy to cope with life's stresses and strains, all important when it comes to controlling diabetes (no matter what type you have).

Reactions: 9 people

Selim Melen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise increases insulin sensitivity, helps to maintain weight, lowers bp and cholesterol levels, gives you more energy to cope with life's stresses and strains, all important when it comes to controlling diabetes (no matter what type you have).

OK.

Maybe we shoud say that ;
Exercises does not have direct effect on glucose process .
But it has indirect positive effects on other parameters which can increase life quality .

Right ?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, glucose can get into skeletal and muscle cells without insulin when the person is moving. This will lower glucose levels .

Selim Melen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, glucose can get into skeletal and muscle cells without insulin when the person is moving. This will lower glucose levels .

Thank you.

One of my relatives is TYPE-1 DIABETES.
And she takes 4 times insulin a day.
According to you ;
For example, IF SHE RUNS HALF AN HOUR A DAY , SHE MAY NEED 3 TIMES INSULIN INSTEAD OF 4 TIMES.

Is that what you mean ?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, you can't say that, she may need less insulin for the time she is exercising.
People with T1 may have to reduce the meal time insulin before exercise but they still need some.(insulin is needed for several other things)
If they exercise frequently they will most probably need a lower total daily dose than if they didn't.

Selim Melen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, you can't say that, she may need less insulin for the time she is exercising.
People with T1 may have to reduce the meal time insulin before exercise but they still need some.(insulin is needed for several other things)
If they exercise frequently they will most probably need a lower total daily dose than if they didn't.

OK.
Now it is clearer.

Thank you very much for the answers.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But, why is physical exercises useful for diabetes if you are TYPE-1. ??
Lack of physical activity or exercise is a risk factor in a number of conditions such as heart disease.

Thus, exercise is good for diabetics even if it doesn't specifically help with diabetes because diabetics still have to worry about other medical conditions.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I firmly believe that my low HbA1C at 40 and my low average insulin dose of less than 20 units per day is entirely down to a healthy diet and regular exercise.

I aim to exercise 5-6 times a week.

Reactions: 3 people

diabeticdancer

I firmly believe that my low HbA1C at 40 and my low average insulin dose of less than 20 units per day is entirely down to a healthy diet and regular exercise.

I feel the same. Although to don't know what my current hba1c is cos it hasn't been checked since diagnosis. Are you still in your honeymoon period? I am. (All thought I secretly hope I'm being cured ;) I had less than 10 units today and ate about 40 carbs with no bolus because I was fairly low around testing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Selim Melen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Good news for you.
But you are still TYPE-1.
Only difference is that ;
Due to HEALTY DIET AND REGULAR EXERCISE you dont need insulin as in the past .
Right ?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the same. Although to don't know what my current hba1c is cos it hasn't been checked since diagnosis. Are you still in your honeymoon period? I am. (All thought I secretly hope I'm being cured ;) I had less than 10 units today and ate about 40 carbs with no bolus because I was fairly low around testing.

I had a three hour 25min run today / 35km.

I had one unit basal and 0.5 unit bolus at breakfast time for 50 g carbs, and my level only went up to 10.0

In total today I've had over 300g carbs and only 4.5 units bolus insulin.

Honeymoon period? Who knows, one of the DSNs at Addenbrookes tells me she works with an endurance athlete who's been in honeymoon for about 5 years

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good news for you.
But you are still TYPE-1.
Only difference is that ;
Due to HEALTY DIET AND REGULAR EXERCISE you dont need insulin as in the past .
Right ?

Wrong.

I was diagnosed 50 weeks ago, ager 39, already a pretty decent endurance athlete. I made a firm choice that T1 would not limit me in that and I have not let it do so. I have never had higher external insulin needs.

diabeticdancer

I had a three hour 25min run today / 35km.

I had one unit basal and 0.5 unit bolus at breakfast time for 50 g carbs, and my level only went up to 10.0

In total today I've had over 300g carbs and only 4.5 units bolus insulin.

Honeymoon period? Who knows, one of the DSNs at Addenbrookes tells me she works with an endurance athlete who's been in honeymoon for about 5 years
Amazing job :) here's hoping to more than 5 years

Selim Melen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Did you decrease your insulin dose a day ??

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello friends,

We know that, physical exercises are extremely important for both PRE_DIABETES and TYPE-2 DIABETES.

What about TYPE-1 ??

On the other hand ; we know that TYPE-1 IS NOT REVERSIBLE. And there is nothing to do to turn body normal glucose processes.

If YES ; Then my question is ;

Is there any meaning of physical exercises for TYPE-1 DIABETES ??

Thanks......

I think you've had your question answered here already - exercise has many benefits but in relation to diabetes T1 specifically, it improves insulin sensitivity.
For more information and advice on how to manage blood glucose levels whilst exercising take a look at
http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Type_1_Basics.html :)