Another 1lb bites the dust!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Progress has slowed down now and down to losing a 1lb a week. Bit frustrating but a loss is a loss! Now lost 2 stone 3lbs! Had hoped to have lost more as have diabetes education course next Tuesday. Spoke to the dn who disapproves of my LCHF diet. Even when I explained that bread, rice and pasta spike me and send me into double figures for 2 hours! Not sure about the logic behind this !

Reactions: 18 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay! Well done Scandi! 31lbs is awesome! I don't understand the logic behind all that 'must eat more carbs' message either, maybe they just like being able to moan at us when it all goes wrong and our BG's soar?

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Found this.....
image.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And this......
image.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And this......
image.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Great progress Scandichic ! 1lb a week is still 3stone 10lbs a year !!!!!! Keep up the great work :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Progress has slowed down now and down to losing a 1lb a week. Bit frustrating but a loss is a loss! Now lost 2 stone 3lbs! Had hoped to have lost more as have diabetes education course next Tuesday. Spoke to the dn who disapproves of my LCHF diet. Even when I explained that bread, rice and pasta spike me and send me into double figures for 2 hours! Not sure about the logic behind this !
As your weight loss, and therefore impact on your body is slower, it could be argued it's likely to be mores sustainable - unless you are feeling deprived in any way. If you are content in your new eating regime, and achieving your goal (albeit slowly), you can probably just get on with it.

On another front, your skin will have a chance to recover as you go. Extreme, fast weight loss can leave excess flesh nobody wants. You also probably have age on your side in that regard.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Scandichic. I agree with AndBreathe, and nothing worse than saggy skin!

Mothership

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
dog mess anywhere

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done :) Saggy skin - reminds me of what someone said to me when I said I was trying to lose weight - "With what you've got to lose your skin with just hang floppy." Nothing like putting you down!

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My next door neighbour was elderly, and very overweight and she used to say if she ever lost weight she'd just sew a frill on her belly and call it a pinny. I do worry about it, but not as much as I worry about going blind or losing a foot and a big roll of gaffer tape can do wonders!

Reactions: 9 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done :) Saggy skin - reminds me of what someone said to me when I said I was trying to lose weight - "With what you've got to lose your skin with just hang floppy." Nothing like putting you down!

I hope you shot them.

Mind you, the slower the better.

I never understand why people want to scrape the weight off ASAP.
It is almost as if they can't wait to get off the diet and go back to eating the things that made them need to diet in the first place!

The slower you lose it, the more likely it is to stay off. And your skin has time to shrink (when I was in my 30s I lost 5 stone in about 4 months. It took 2 years for my bingo wings to shrink to fit my arms - how long would it take now I am nudging 50?!?). It horrified me how long it took, even eating a healthy diet of skin friendly foods.

Besides, this is a diet for life, isn't it? One that minimises D complications and symptoms, or will prevent them returning... Believe me SLOW but SURE is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I hope you shot them.

Mind you, the slower the better.

I never understand why people want to scrape the weight off ASAP.
It is almost as if they can't wait to get off the diet and go back to eating the things that made them need to diet in the first place!

The slower you lose it, the more likely it is to stay off. And your skin has time to shrink (when I was in my 30s I lost 5 stone in about 4 months. It took 2 years for my bingo wings to shrink to fit my arms - how long would it take now I am nudging 50?!?). It horrified me how long it took, even eating a healthy diet of skin friendly foods.

Besides, this is a diet for life, isn't it? One that minimises D complications and symptoms, or will prevent them returning... Believe me SLOW but SURE is the way to go.
Hi Brunneria,
My hubbie and i have just being discussing your post and we agree. People are so focused on the weight loss that they forget that they mustn't go back to their old ways. However, that said I am one of those people who want to lose the weight ASAP.
There are several reasons for this. The first being that now I've started losing the weight, it's made me realise that I can do something about it and actually I was bloody fat. However kind we are to ourselves and others, there's no escaping that it doesn't look great. I had stopped looking in the mirror so was probably in denial. I now look a lot better and feel a lot better.
There is of course the obvious reason of health. If I don't get rid of this weight I'm going to become a lot sicker and the thought of glaucoma and amputation makes me face this reality. I am convinced, and so is the one good doc at our practice, that the food we eat and the weight are interlinked. If I eat the right things for me, my bs comes down and I lose weight. When my bs is down, I need less meds and when I lose weight I feel better. Bp down. Less risk of stroke or heart attack. It's weird that the stroke stuff didn't motivate me but amputation and blindness on the other hand...
The other thing that motivates me, is the fact that my diet is great and enabling me to bring about these changes but only one doc is prepared to listen. I cannot comprehend this at all. I am a walking example of the benefits of LCHF. It beggars belief that I can still be told to eat more carbs even though I've explained what happens to my bs when I do. I want to have lost a significant amount by the time I attend this stupid course. Just so I can go nah, nah, nah, nah! How grown up.
Finally, my aunt relied on meds and followed the NHS healthy plate. She became fatter and fatter and ended up on insulin too. I want to hold off this for as long as possible!
I have just weighed myself and have lost another pound! Total weight loss 2 stone 4lbs!

Reactions: 8 people

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done :). I always follow your posts and they often make me smile. I am sure it is you I owe a big thank you to!! Having struggled to lose weight for the last 2 years and generally feeling awful, I read a post where you mentioned getting your vitamin d checked. I did this and my Dr said "If we compare your vit d level to a bucket yours is completely empty". I have been on 10,000 mg vit d for 3 weeks now, rejoined weight watchers and have lost 5lb in 2 weeks. I have much more energy and just feel so much better-I actually wake up with a healthy pink colour to my face and no longer washed out white. So once again thank you :):):)

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done you must feel so pleased the weight is shifting so well . I have had 2 strokes and suffer from glaucoma and have neuropathy in my left leg all diabetic complications even though I have never been overweight ! In fact after a spell on opioid pain killers which turned me into a zombie and killed my appetite I am now underweight. I think what I am trying to say is diabetes has no set of rules it attacks us all in different ways I control my bg never over 5.5 last ha1bc 6.2 but still it gets some of us and some others seem to get away with no complications seems like the luck of the draw !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done :). I always follow your posts and they often make me smile. I am sure it is you I owe a big thank you to!! Having struggled to lose weight for the last 2 years and generally feeling awful, I read a post where you mentioned getting your vitamin d checked. I did this and my Dr said "If we compare your vit d level to a bucket yours is completely empty". I have been on 10,000 mg vit d for 3 weeks now, rejoined weight watchers and have lost 5lb in 2 weeks. I have much more energy and just feel so much better-I actually wake up with a healthy pink colour to my face and no longer washed out white. So once again thank you :):):)
I am really glad that things are back on track for you! When I came on this forum on 28th of Jan, I was not in a good place. I weighed 16 stone 1lb, had just recovered from pneumonia and did not know what I could eat. Mercifully, I was put on the right track by @Totto . I am firmly convinced that LCHF is the right way to go. Also I had so many kind members who listened to me, encouraged me and advised me so if I in turn have given something back and helped someone else then that makes me happy!

Reactions: 7 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Very well done you must feel so pleased the weight is shifting so well . I have had 2 strokes and suffer from glaucoma and have neuropathy in my left leg all diabetic complications even though I have never been overweight ! In fact after a spell on opioid pain killers which turned me into a zombie and killed my appetite I am now underweight. I think what I am trying to say is diabetes has no set of rules it attacks us all in different ways I control my bg never over 5.5 last ha1bc 6.2 but still it gets some of us and some others seem to get away with no complications seems like the luck of the draw !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
Diabetes is a horrible big stick which beats people over the head because it can. You have had a rotten time of it and I only hope things go better in the future. I know I can't get rid of diabetes but I'm going to do everything in my power to prevent it from progressing. I know I've been one of the lucky ones so I feel like I owe it to my family and others to do the best I can. Your post makes me feel very humble. Big hug.

Reactions: 7 people