HBA 1c testing

Avrile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How often do you have your tests , I noticed someone said they only had one per year yet others suggest it should be every 3 months . I had a test in November when I was diagnosed but none since.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the norm is to have them at 3 months initially, then at longer intervals once you are on track. I had my first one in January for diagnosis. Next one was in March but that was really for liver function after being started on statins and the GP threw in the HbA1c for good measure. Next one was my scheduled 3 month one in April. If you are worried or just wanting to know how you are doing, I suggest you phone your GP and ask for one.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm one of those who've been told I will only be tested once a year. I don't think that's often enough for a T2. Whilst I'm happy to try and keep good control all year round, there will be many wh'll think it'll be okay to eat what they like most of the time and then only eat sensibly for the three months before their annual test as that way the DN won't see the need to add medication. Annual tests are wrong in principle and will do nothing to reduce the huge number of poorly controlled diabetics.

Reactions: 7 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I get mine tested every 6 months but when first diagnosed, every 3 months.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get tested once a year, I have to be proactive and arrange it myself (at GPs).

I don't think it is enough, my situation could change and I might be hypo for 11 months and not know.

I am diet controlled, so not given test meter or strips ( I buy my own). Dietician told me to continue with my healthy diet - lots of carbs, fruit, veg and very low fat. The same diet that gave me raised blood glucose!

Only way I can be in charge of my own health and minimise the risk of compilations is to test the effect of different food types on my body and for me the best approach to maintaining lower BG readings is low carb and healthy fats.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I am going for my 4th on Wednesday. 3 and a half months after diagnosis. My doctor cant believe the improvement. I may be his hobby.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was annual when I was stable for a few years on increasing tablets. Now every 6 months on insulin as I'm quite stable.

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Hi Avrile, its not naiveté, they should be contacting you! I have annual checks with extra checks if there is a problem or if I want to work with the GP to reduce my medication. They write to me when it is time for my review and I cannot get my meds renewed without a review (there's an incentive!). I just don't understand why this is so different across the country...

Let us know what your doc says.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse said I would have mine in the month of my birthday then 6 months on, so that's twice a year. After diagnosis in November, I was tested in February and May an d my next one will be November as that's my birth month.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is once a year, I would prefer every six months. I asked for an interim one and was told there was no clinical need.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I get one when I ask for it I find it keeps me on track better not cheating the system for 4 months then playing nice for 2 the pump helps with this also as it is currently uploading once per week 2 my dsn for review this will move to monthly shortly and then 3 monthly clinics for the next year

dlmoak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If unable to get an A1c test from your physician, in the U.S. (and I assume in Great Britain), there is a home testing kit made by Bayer called the A1c Now which is pretty accurate for an in-between-visit gauge. The kit contains two tests and costs about $30 U.S.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is once a year, I would prefer every six months. I asked for an interim one and was told there was no clinical need.

It can be worse than that, Denise. My GP requested an HbA1c as part of my most recent blood test, to find that the hospital had refused on the grounds my last one had been two and-a-half months ago, 'and we only do those tests at 3-monthly intervals or more'.

Amazing .... Talk about the tail wagging the bloody dog! :mad: