Worst guilty food secret

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I am prediabetic though my last Ha1c test was down to 37. I am not going to be complacent though because I still see myself as potentially diabetic. I never did eat a lot of chocolate or sugary foods, though I was a pasta and pie fan. I maybe ate a pudding once a month and it would be something and custard. I did like cheesecake but even then only an occasional slice every few weeks.

All that said, it wasn't until I was told I was prediabetic and altered my diet that I realised how many things I was missing. I still do because I am trying to stick to low carb higher fat. For some strange reason I long for a bar of chocolate; not the 70% and above cocoa solids kind, but a common old bar of something. I would love a crumble and custard. So far I haven't succumbed to these yearnings but I can't see me going much longer without something very sweet....something ordinary and 'normal'.

What I wanted to ask is:
Who has a guilty secret? ( not any more if you reply to this) If you crack once in a while, what is it that you go for? Sweet stuff? Pastry? Other white carbs like baked potatoes?

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
chips .... :) lol x but havnt since diagnosed i do squash ones now if i have the craving x

Reactions: 2 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
chips .... :) lol x but havnt since diagnosed i do squash ones now if i have the craving x

Must try those! Never a big chip eater but they do sound quite yummy :)

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am prediabetic though my last Ha1c test was down to 37. I am not going to be complacent though because I still see myself as potentially diabetic. I never did eat a lot of chocolate or sugary foods, though I was a pasta and pie fan. I maybe ate a pudding once a month and it would be something and custard. I did like cheesecake but even then only an occasional slice every few weeks.

All that said, it wasn't until I was told I was prediabetic and altered my diet that I realised how many things I was missing. I still do because I am trying to stick to low carb higher fat. For some strange reason I long for a bar of chocolate; not the 70% and above cocoa solids kind, but a common old bar of something. I would love a crumble and custard. So far I haven't succumbed to these yearnings but I can't see me going much longer without something very sweet....something ordinary and 'normal'.

What I wanted to ask is:
Who has a guilty secret? ( not any more if you reply to this) If you crack once in a while, what is it that you go for? Sweet stuff? Pastry? Other white carbs like baked potatoes?

Has to be crisps for me, I love salty snacks. But I also love pork scratchings too which are low carb :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
For me, it will be homemade potato fries (chips?) - sad face here! - but my sons and grands love them (had a deep-fry cooker gifted at Christmas). When I have cooked them - from totally fresh potatoes I prepared myself - I just have to taste them myself. Not wise, though - will show in my numbers for a couple of days.

But with regard to sweet things: never had an urge for those even before diabetes... - so no problem.

annelise

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

What I wanted to ask is:

Always had sweet tooth, have just had some honey roasted peanuts and 4 squares 85% Dominican dark choccy, I haven't missed spuds, takeaways or pasta. Think I'm like you want a bar of something like a kitkat, but then look at carbs and think I'll have dark chocolate tonight instead. I turned down an iced finger last week, 53 carbs it had in it- was very proud of myself lol.

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
need to shift some more weight first and feel confident that I can resist slipping back into the addiction of carbs. I would be surprised if I can ever manage a whole one again with regards to BG levels, but I can dream.
Good luck with your weight loss. I'm dieting too, and it can be so hard resisting your favourite foods. Maybe have a small baked potato as a treat when your birthday comes around.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A really big chip buttie with tomato sauce. Sigh!

Not yet but maybe soon!

Reactions: 4 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Yep I slip up every now and again but tiny cheats lead to great big cheata with me and I have learned that I just can't do it. If I do, it goes on for days before I can get back on track. :rolleyes:

I do sometimes crave a lovely thick piece of white bread toasted with jam and butter and while the butter is ok that's the only thing about that that is! It's just not worth feeling absolutely awful, not for me anyhow, I love feeling well and the once in a while mess up just doesn't make going over the line fun anymore ;)

Reactions: 4 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Yep I slip up every now and again but tiny cheats lead to great big cheata with me and I have learned that I just can't do it. If I do, it goes on for days before I can get back on track. :rolleyes:

I do sometimes crave a lovely thick piece of white bread toasted with jam and butter and while the butter is ok that's the only thing about that that is! It's just not worth feeling absolutely awful, not for me anyhow, I love feeling well and the once in a while mess up just doesn't make going over the line fun anymore ;)

At least you are admitting to it. I feel guilty having had an occasional Atkins bar. It seems the more you cant have something, the more you want it. It's a bit like having your rights taken away from you. :(

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
At least you are admitting to it. I feel guilty having had an occasional Atkins bar. It seems the more you cant have something, the more you want it. It's a bit like having your rights taken away from you. :(

Awww I know but honestly hon, is it worth the ill health? Or all the appalling side effects that diabetes can inflict on you? I can see that you are taking your diagnosis as being prediabetic seriously from the amount of msgs you have posted. You want to know about your condition and if you are careful you may be able to avoid being full blown diabetic for ages. Now that is a gift I never had, I had overeaten all my life, my diabetes is a direct result of that and it was due really to ignorance. The reasons for my overeating addiction aren't important any more and to be honest, I have never felt better in my life since being diagnosed as diabetic :) How crazy is that? I honestly know where you are coming from though but it may be useful to look at this from another angle. If you are low carbing then a whole huge new world of food experimentation is open to you, but I know it takes a lot of adjustment brainwise to change habits but I can see that aren't pretending that this isn't happening to you, you have confronted it and you will conquer this.

My only useful strategies for avoiding stuff I am better off not having are to walk away. Literally that, just walk away. Divert yourself, find something else to do. You gotta retrain your brain! :happy:

Doesn't really help though does it when that overwhelming craving hits....never mind, it's just another bump in the road of life and you will get over this one too.

Good Luck SJC ;)

Reactions: 3 people

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Awww I know but honestly hon, is it worth the ill health? Or all the appalling side effects that diabetes can inflict on you? I can see that you are taking your diagnosis as being prediabetic seriously from the amount of msgs you have posted. You want to know about your condition and if you are careful you may be able to avoid being full blown diabetic for ages. Now that is a gift I never had, I had overeaten all my life, my diabetes is a direct result of that and it was due really to ignorance. The reasons for my overeating addiction aren't important any more and to be honest, I have never felt better in my life since being diagnosed as diabetic :) How crazy is that? I honestly know where you are coming from though but it may be useful to look at this from another angle. If you are low carbing then a whole huge new world of food experimentation is open to you, but I know it takes a lot of adjustment brainwise to change habits but I can see that aren't pretending that this isn't happening to you, you have confronted it and you will conquer this.

My only useful strategies for avoiding stuff I am better off not having are to walk away. Literally that, just walk away. Divert yourself, find something else to do. You gotta retrain your brain! :happy:

Doesn't really help though does it when that overwhelming craving hits....never mind, it's just another bump in the road and you will get over this one too.

Good Luck SJC ;)

Thanks :) I know it will be worth it. I just wondered who does crack occasionally and what with particularly. I think it's a bit of angry rebellion sometimes to defy the diagnosis.

Peachypuff72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being woken up early :(
Whole Earth crunchy peanut butter. I can eat a jar in one go.

Type 1 diabetic.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Too many to mention :)

XL Cheese crisps has to be one and a good butchers shop meat pie another.

Reactions: 3 people