Worst guilty food secret

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Jersey Royals roasted???????????????????????????????? That is sacrilegious. They are for boiling and eating with a mound of butter. You need a softer spud for roasting.

They are not typically what I would roast! I was just thinking of my BG and they were the only potatoes we had in!!!!!!

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
The reason why I asked, when we make roast pots we tend to have them bigger than say baby small pots, as a type 1 I have to weight mine otherwise my postprandial bg readings are less predictable.

I see :) Its down to 5.3 now, just over 3 hours. :)

Reactions: 2 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Does no-one else fancy ice cream in a lovely crunchy biscuit cone? I've managed not to really crave since going LCHF, at least not yet, but when the dratted ice-cream van goes past the door I have a little wistful pang.

Bizarrely, never even having seen one yet alone tasting it, I dreamt I found an Atkins bar in a sweet shop and thought 'oh, I could eat that'. But it was all crumbled and half had fallen out. I think my unconscious is feeling more deprived than I realised.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I am prediabetic though my last Ha1c test was down to 37. I am not going to be complacent though because I still see myself as potentially diabetic. I never did eat a lot of chocolate or sugary foods, though I was a pasta and pie fan. I maybe ate a pudding once a month and it would be something and custard. I did like cheesecake but even then only an occasional slice every few weeks.

All that said, it wasn't until I was told I was prediabetic and altered my diet that I realised how many things I was missing. I still do because I am trying to stick to low carb higher fat. For some strange reason I long for a bar of chocolate; not the 70% and above cocoa solids kind, but a common old bar of something. I would love a crumble and custard. So far I haven't succumbed to these yearnings but I can't see me going much longer without something very sweet....something ordinary and 'normal'.

What I wanted to ask is:
Who has a guilty secret? ( not any more if you reply to this) If you crack once in a while, what is it that you go for? Sweet stuff? Pastry? Other white carbs like baked potatoes?
I tell myself I'm a grown up and I can if I want to. But is it a good idea? That usually works. Sometimes I get a craving but it's usually when I'm hungry like yesterday. My daughters ate chicken crisps on the way to rainbows as my meeting overran and they had to wait till afterwards. As soon as I dropped them, I had a piece of cheese and felt ok. Last weekend we went out with friends in the afternoon to a lovely country pub. Everyone had crisps with their drinks. The kids had chips. I fancied crisps so I opened my bag and put it in the middle of the table. Didn't get many as you have to be quick with kids! Worked very well! Occasionally we go into town and go for a coffee. I love raspberry bakewell. So I share a slice with hubbie or the kids. I think you should try your dairy milk. Buy fun sized bars. Allow yourself one. You will probably find it too sickly. Sometimes we have a friend who comes on a Friday with fish and chips and I pinch 5 chips. I know these things are bad for me but by doing what I do, I don't find I have the urge to want to go back to my old ways. I have been eating like this since the 28th of jan and have lost 2.5 stones.

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Does no-one else fancy ice cream in a lovely crunchy biscuit cone? I've managed not to really crave since going LCHF, at least not yet, but when the dratted ice-cream van goes past the door I have a little wistful pang.

Bizarrely, never even having seen one yet alone tasting it, I dreamt I found an Atkins bar in a sweet shop and thought 'oh, I could eat that'. But it was all crumbled and half had fallen out. I think my unconscious is feeling more deprived than I realised.
Well you can have the ice cream.
100g of frozen berries (blitz in food processor till very tiny pieces)
100ml cream
1tsp sweetner
Add cream and sweetener to blitzed berries and blitz again. Strawberry or raspberry is best. My hubbie says it's the best strawberry ice cream he's ever had.
And it's guilt free! You can't freeze it. This is for 1 portion.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well I got cocky and had two roast spuds with my meal tonight. They were only very small ones too but after 2 hours 7.8. That's my biggest 2 hr reading since I began testing weeks ago. :(
That's within the norm.
What are you like with pasta rice or bread?
Pasta and rice are my worst. Almost double figures within 10 minutes of eating and just go up and up and up for 2 hours. Bread almost as bad. Don't care for pots - only like crisps and chips! Crisps have been replaced with salted peanuts and chips I have very occasionally then only a young child's portion. Fish with half the batter and a handful of chips send me to 8.5 so only very occasionally.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
That's within the norm.
What are you like with pasta rice or bread?
Pasta and rice are my worst. Almost double figures within 10 minutes of eating and just go up and up and up for 2 hours. Bread almost as bad. Don't care for pots - only like crisps and chips! Crisps have been replaced with salted peanuts and chips I have very occasionally then only a young child's portion. Fish with half the batter and a handful of chips send me to 8.5 so only very occasionally.

Hi
I don't know what to believe because I have seen several different guideline ranges on the internet. One piece of Burgen takes me anything up to about 6.4 after 2 hours but always comes back to the 5s after 3 hours. I had wholemeal noodes but it was a very small portion. That took me to 6.5 after 2 hours. I haven't tried chips as I could take them or leave them before all this started anyway. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I don't know what to believe because I have seen several different guideline ranges on the internet. One piece of Burgen takes me anything up to about 6.4 after 2 hours but always comes back to the 5s after 3 hours. I had wholemeal noodes but it was a very small portion. That took me to 6.5 after 2 hours. I haven't tried chips as I could take them or leave them before all this started anyway. :)

Up to 7.8 after a meal is within the norm. Non-diabetics will see these levels. You are far too hard on yourself. Of course it is good to be lower, the lower the better, but not at the expense of deprivation that can't be sustained for the rest of your life.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tell myself I'm a grown up and I can if I want to. But is it a good idea? That usually works. Sometimes I get a craving but it's usually when I'm hungry like yesterday. My daughters ate chicken crisps on the way to rainbows as my meeting overran and they had to wait till afterwards. As soon as I dropped them, I had a piece of cheese and felt ok. Last weekend we went out with friends in the afternoon to a lovely country pub. Everyone had crisps with their drinks. The kids had chips. I fancied crisps so I opened my bag and put it in the middle of the table. Didn't get many as you have to be quick with kids! Worked very well! Occasionally we go into town and go for a coffee. I love raspberry bakewell. So I share a slice with hubbie or the kids. I think you should try your dairy milk. Buy fun sized bars. Allow yourself one. You will probably find it too sickly. Sometimes we have a friend who comes on a Friday with fish and chips and I pinch 5 chips. I know these things are bad for me but by doing what I do, I don't find I have the urge to want to go back to my old ways. I have been eating like this since the 28th of jan and have lost 2.5 stones.

I am similar to you Scandi. A little bit of what you fancy .... and I have also lost 2.5 stones since January eating like that. I don't believe in depriving myself as long as I am sensible about portions. I'm not a sweet tooth so chocolate has no interest for me. We have had a fish and chip take-away once a week for many years, so now I just have fish and peas, scrape off most of the batter, and find I am still not spiking above low 7's and am happy with that.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Up to 7.8 after a meal is within the norm. Non-diabetics will see these levels. You are far too hard on yourself. Of course it is good to be lower, the lower the better, but not at the expense of deprivation that can't be sustained for the rest of your life.

I sometimes wonder if it different for prediabetics about how people handle it mentally. It's a shock in both cases to be sure. Prediabetics first priority is to not develop diabetes. I know of many that have held that diagnosis off for many years. I take hope from this but know those people have worked very hard to achieve it.

A lot of you diabetics on this forum equally work hard but the goalposts are slightly different. My observations tell me that diabetics are trying hard to get their levels at a consistently acceptable level, in some cases hoping to reduce meds in the process. We prediabetics are simply trying to lessen our chances of developing diabetes. I think if you ask any determined prediabetic on this forum, at least 90% will say they almost treat it as if they have diabetes. It's the best way in my opinion.

Sure, I could eat bread, potatoes, rice etc every other day if I want, in fact every day, but I don't want diabetes. We have to accept we are potential diabetics and it could happen sooner rather than later, whilst diabetics know they have it, learn to live with it and accomodate themselves mentally in how they personally handle it.

If I get a tad worried at a 7.8 level because it's the highest I have recorded after eating a food, I don't really want it playing down by a diabetic. I want them to remember or at least accept that the threat of something can feel just as bad as the actual happening of it. :)

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Know you mean well bluetit and it's great that you respond toso many posts and are helpful, but sometimes a 54 year old doesnt want telling what spuds to boil or roast. I have been roasting dinners since I was 14 years old and know my different spuds very well...and how to cook them. Not being funny and I expect you said what you said out of trying to be helpful.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Know you mean well bluetit and it's great that you respond toso many posts and are helpful, but sometimes a 54 year old doesnt want telling what spuds to boil or roast. I have been roasting dinners since I was 14 years old and know my different spuds very well...and how to cook them. Not being funny and I expect you said what you said out of trying to be helpful.

Oh dear, sorry if I upset you with my comment about roast potatoes. I wasn't criticising at all, I was (in my own way) being facetious, nothing was meant to be taken seriously or literally, and I wasn't even trying to be helpful! I'm sorry if my words came over differently. (Just as a PS I am 66 years old and have been boiling spuds longer than you) ;)

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
Oh dear, sorry if I upset you with my comment about roast potatoes. I wasn't criticising at all, I was (in my own way) being facetious, nothing was meant to be taken seriously or literally, and I wasn't even trying to be helpful! I'm sorry if my words came over differently. (Just as a PS I am 66 years old and have been boiling spuds longer than you) ;)

Wasn't upset. Just bit surprised that you didn't automatically consider that I know all about what spuds to roast at my age.You weren't to know the reason behind my potato madness. ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wasn't upset. Just bit surprised that you didn't automatically consider that I know all about what spuds to roast at my age.You weren't to know the reason behind my potato madness. ;)

Whether you knew or didn't know what spuds to roast never entered my head. I was joking. Sorry it misfired.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
It's okay ;) I know well of the written word on forums being taken out of context or misconstrued as I worked on one for a while. ;)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I sometimes wonder if it different for prediabetics about how people handle it mentally. It's a shock in both cases to be sure. Prediabetics first priority is to not develop diabetes. I know of many that have held that diagnosis off for many years. I take hope from this but know those people have worked very hard to achieve it.

A lot of you diabetics on this forum equally work hard but the goalposts are slightly different. My observations tell me that diabetics are trying hard to get their levels at a consistently acceptable level, in some cases hoping to reduce meds in the process. We prediabetics are simply trying to lessen our chances of developing diabetes. I think if you ask any determined prediabetic on this forum, at least 90% will say they almost treat it as if they have diabetes. It's the best way in my opinion.

Sure, I could eat bread, potatoes, rice etc every other day if I want, in fact every day, but I don't want diabetes. We have to accept we are potential diabetics and it could happen sooner rather than later, whilst diabetics know they have it, learn to live with it and accomodate themselves mentally in how they personally handle it.

If I get a tad worried at a 7.8 level because it's the highest I have recorded after eating a food, I don't really want it playing down by a diabetic. I want them to remember or at least accept that the threat of something can feel just as bad as the actual happening of it. :)
I may have misread your posts and the responses but no one is playing down the prediabetes. When people post that 7.8 after food is within the normal range then they are simply stating facts. Here is the table:
NICE recommended target blood glucose level ranges
Target Levels
by TypeBefore meals
(pre prandial)2 hours after meals
(post prandial)
Non-diabetic4.0 to 5.9 mmol/Lunder 7.8 mmol/L
Type 2 diabetes4 to 7 mmol/Lunder 8.5 mmol/L
Type 1 diabetes4 to 7 mmol/Lunder 9 mmol/L
Children w/ type 1 diabetes4 to 8 mmol/Lunder 10 mmol/L
the fasting bloods are the most important and the ones you really want to monitor. Will see if I can find a table for that!
Hope this helps.

SJC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets!
I may have misread your posts and the responses but no one is playing down the prediabetes. When people post that 7.8 after food is within the normal range then they are simply stating facts. Here is the table:
NICE recommended target blood glucose level ranges
Target Levels
by TypeBefore meals
(pre prandial)2 hours after meals
(post prandial)
Non-diabetic4.0 to 5.9 mmol/Lunder 7.8 mmol/L
Type 2 diabetes4 to 7 mmol/Lunder 8.5 mmol/L
Type 1 diabetes4 to 7 mmol/Lunder 9 mmol/L
Children w/ type 1 diabetes4 to 8 mmol/Lunder 10 mmol/L
the fasting bloods are the most important and the ones you really want to monitor. Will see if I can find a table for that!
Hope this helps.

Thanks. I have got a couple of pre and post prandial guidelines. I got the same figures off this website. They tend to alter though if you look around the internet.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do you parboil them first or straight In the deep fat fryer raw? x

Always parboil then shake them up in the pan, Maris Pipers make the best chips IMHO.

Reactions: 3 people