Nuts nuts nuts

mikeyuk

Hi All

So I read elsewhere on these boards that nuts were fine just not peanuts. Just wondering why this is? The shop accross the road has packets of "Nobbys Nuts" and they are only 4g for the packet, I think HP are slightly higher at 5g, but if this is all Im eating wouldn't this constitue low carb?

5g seems pretty low to me, so whats the problem with 'em?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
but if this is all Im eating wouldn't this constitue low carb?

Hi Mikey

I think it means you're turning into a monkey !!

Ken

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Mikey while nuts are actually better than sliced bread I hope you don't literally mean that that is all you eat!Peanuts and cashews are higher in carbs because they are not a true nut they grow on or under ground(I'm sure someone will correct me there!)
If you are eating these for a snack just factor in the 4 g off your self imposed daily limit.

mikeyuk

Hehe nice replies :0

Just meant that Im not a big breakfast eater so If I just had these in the morning for my allocated portion of breakfast, would it be ok?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Mikey

Seriously, I have to agree with Sue. Nuts are a good snack throughout the day but I don't think I could face a plate of nuts for breakfast ! I low carb and there are loads of varied things you can have which only need a little or no preperation. Try looking at the low carb threads around here for more advice.

Ken

C

catherinecherub

Hi mike,
How about some yoghurt with flaked almonds and a handful of mixed berries?
Catherine.

mikeyuk

I really just don't have time in the morning to eat before I leave and once I get into work then thats me until about 11 or so. The nuts are tastey and handy, I sometimes eat a few sticks of peperammi instead (im sure you wont approve of this either! ;)) but both are improvements because I never used to eat breakfast before for like the last 10 years or something.

I do eat "properly" at other meals.

But what exactly is the diff between eating scrambled egg vs some tastey nuts if neither spike your BS and the carb count is low?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Mikey,

If you are pushed for time then nuts are a good alternative for breakfast. You could also try a piece of cheese wrapped in a slice of ham - takes all of 20 seconds to prepare.

The reason peanuts and cashews are not recommended is because they are not actually nuts. They are members of the pea family and are quite high in carbs compared to true nuts. Nearly all supermarkets sell bags of mixed nuts that don't include peanuts and cashews.

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
Worth trying either Wasabi coated peanuts or, better still, Wasabi coated peas. Availaabale from a Chinese Supermarket near you.

Turn the tin upside down before removing any of the contents because some of the strongest Wasabi seems to get to the bottom and is exceedingly Wsabi!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
mikeyuk said:
I really just don't have time in the morning to eat before I leave and once I get into work then thats me until about 11 or so. The nuts are tastey and handy, I sometimes eat a few sticks of peperammi instead (im sure you wont approve of this either! ;)) but both are improvements because I never used to eat breakfast before for like the last 10 years or something.

I do eat "properly" at other meals.

But what exactly is the diff between eating scrambled egg vs some tastey nuts if neither spike your BS and the carb count is low?

If you like Pepperami why not try Polish Kabanos ? They are a dried ,smoked sausage and are very low carb.Last for ages in the fridge as well.

dippydeedi

Dislikes
Bad manors, exercising, not being able to eat what i want, being skint, getting up.
I go nuts in the morning too :p

mikeyuk

Thanks for the replies all. Well I bought some almonds and macademia nuts this morning (could easily see the macademias becoming an addiction, mmmm!) but the carb content seems pretty similar to the peanuts, am I missing something?

Trinkwasser

I eat all kinds of nuts, including cashews and peanuts as well as "real" nuts, the only real downside is that too many will make me blow off like a carthorse

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Mike,

100g of macadamias should be 13.8g carb.
100g of roast salted peanuts should be 19g carb (more if they are European ones)
100g of dry roat peanuts should be 21.5g carb
100g of raw cashews is 27.5g carb
100g of roasted cashews is 30.2g carb
100g of dry roasted cashews is 32.7g carb.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Buachaille said:
Worth trying either Wasabi coated peanuts or, better still, Wasabi coated peas. Availaabale from a Chinese Supermarket near you.

Turn the tin upside down before removing any of the contents because some of the strongest Wasabi seems to get to the bottom and is exceedingly Wsabi!

I thought that these peas were pretty high in carbs? I saw them at the chinese supermarket while I was picking up Shirataki Noodles...

I hope those peas are lo-carb - I absolutely LURVE Wasabi!!!!

CurvyPixel

Trinkwasser said:
I eat all kinds of nuts, including cashews and peanuts as well as "real" nuts, the only real downside is that too many will make me blow off like a carthorse

Trinkwasser, I have pictures in my head I don't want to be seeing!! :lol:

Trinkwasser

CurvyPixel said:
Trinkwasser said:

Trinkwasser, I have pictures in my head I don't want to be seeing!! :lol:

It's not the seeing that's dangerous . . .

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
So ,basically you are the sole cause of global warming then? :mrgreen:

Trinkwasser

I just discovered another danger of nuts, I crunched down on a handful of cashews and one of my teeth exploded.

I'm a tad annoyed now as I thought I had a decent dentist but despite complaining of pain in that corner of my mouth several months ago he couldn't see anything wrong, and now I can't get in until thursday, so it's new dentist time, hopefully I will get the remnants pulled out this afternoon as it's been agonising since saturday

(I've been dripping peppermint oil on the crack and stealing mother's codeines but still haven't been able to eat anything that can't be sucked. Today's breakfast was an avocado and some smoked salmon)

CurvyPixel

Trink That's not good! :(
Hope it gets fixed soon! I thought my teeth were safe now I couldn't have chewy toffee, but I can see there more dental dangers lurking out there in Low Carb world!!
CurvyP :D