zero or low carb snacks for work

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well its week 3 now of my 1200 calorie a day diet, i have let myself go a little higher some days as im exercising/working out most nights and have quite a physical job. just wondering if anyone can recommend a snack for me to eat at about 10am for my tea brake that wont raise my sugars much, all these wholemeal crackers and things are full of carbs which will raise it, one thing i found is beef jerky that i seen online, contains loads of protein and very little carbs.
any other suggestions ?
Thanks
James

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Be careful with beef jerky, a lot of companies add sugar! Try looking for Blue Diamond Almonds, they come in a few different flavours and I've found them to be the perfect low carb snack. They come in 70g bags, and here's the nutritional values :)

8372bc58e2.png

Reactions: 2 people

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be careful with beef jerky, a lot of companies add sugar! Try looking for Blue Diamond Almonds, they come in a few different flavours and I've found them to be the perfect low carb snack. They come in 70g bags, and here's the nutritional values :)

8372bc58e2.png

excellent thanks for that, i see they do a smokehouse flavour too :) do supermarkets sell them?

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
excellent thanks for that, i see they do a smokehouse flavour too :) do supermarkets sell them?
I think so, I usually get them from Sainsbury's on my way to work :) The smokehouse flavour is really, really nice - had those for the first time yesterday

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Waitrose, Sainsburys, M&S etc do cooked crispy bacon. It's so lovely. 55g in a pack, 268 cals zero carbs. There must be about 20 slices in a pack and you only need a couple to stave off that in need of a snack feeling.

Also, a few nuts go a long way to keeping me going, or a stick of celery spread with Philadelphia cheese or some sort of pate.

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Waitrose, Sainsburys, M&S etc do cooked crispy bacon. It's so lovely. 55g in a pack, 268 cals zero carbs. There must be about 20 slices in a pack and you only need a couple to stave off that in need of a snack feeling.

Also, a few nuts go a long way to keeping me going, or a stick of celery spread with Philadelphia cheese or some sort of pate.

wonder if i can get them in the co-op, thats the only supermarket we have

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Pork scratching's, very low carb !

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
At the same time?!?

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com
Works best with a sharp cheddar, they compliment each other surprisingly well!

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
wonder if i can get them in the co-op, thats the only supermarket we have
Do your own. Buy streaky bacon, lay on a baking tray and cook in a hot oven for 10 to 15 mins. Store in a plastic tub.

Oh, and I'm doing low carb and low cal BTW. Several folks on here do. I wasn't losing any weight on low carb without counting cals. I need to keep a tight reign on portion control.

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do your own. Buy streaky bacon, lay on a baking tray and cook in a hot oven for 10 to 15 mins. Store in a plastic tub.

Oh, and I'm doing low carb and low cal BTW. Several folks on here do. I wasn't losing any weight on low carb without counting cals. I need to keep a tight reign on portion control.

will do, just stick it in a 200 degrees or so? im doing low carb low calorie but my carbs are still about 100g a day cant seem to get them any lower without dying of hunger haha

Reactions: 2 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
will do, just stick it in a 200 degrees or so? im doing low carb low calorie but my carbs are still about 100g a day cant seem to get them any lower without dying of hunger haha
Yeah, that sounds about right for oven temp. You might have to experiment a bit to get the right crisp, but they seem to go just right when on top of the Christmas turkey!
How low are your cals? If you're a young, active chap, maybe you're not eating enough cals and can afford to add a bit more fat? Someone on here suggested small sips of double cream as a low carb way of keeping hunger at bay - or cream in your coffee (though coffee causes problems for some folks). The trouble with everyone being so individual in this lark is that what works for one person might not work for another.

I try for 1200 cals and under 50 carbs - some days I get under 20, but have to watch the protein as it seems my body is great at converting that to glucose. I record my food diary on My Fitness Pal and set it to 1100 cals knowing that I will inevitably go slightly over that, but it's better for than setting it to 1200 cals and going over that!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
are you after mid-morning snacks because youre hungry?

Maybe change your breakfast instead, I have a bowl of flaxseed - mixed with hot water (150cals) at 6am and then lunch about midday - not hungry midmorning.

But since you asked for snack ideas:

raw peppers and cucumber - with hummus or a nut butter (100% nut type with no added sugar)

Cubes of cheese

few nuts (almonds work really well)

sliced meat

small scotch egg (can make own with lower carb)

Kale crisps (M&S sell them in packets)