Do I test if I am 'post diabetic'?

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Just to add my tuppence. Pipp, top drawer, keep it up. Forget the labels you've done amazingly well.

Also, 6.8 two hours after eating some bad stuff to my mind is non-diabetic levels.

Yesterday me and my wife had the exact same lunch for science. It was a white baguette with sausage and bacon with lots of ketchup (i think the bloke in the sandwich shop got carried away). Today i'm back to salad and tuna as every other day.

We tested before, She was 4.7 and I was 5.3. We ate the baguettes, nothing else, and 2 hours later tested. She was 7.7 and I was 9.2. She has been tested for diabeties very recently and isn't. Your 6.8 is a fantastic result.
Maybe I just worry too much.

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Controlled means you got to be doing something like special diet. I am not doing anything to control I am living as normal as I did before diabetes.
I was not talking about you. I am in this situation and wondered if Pipp may also be. My suggestion is to certainly test for the first few months.

Reactions: 2 people

Barbie1808

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS needs to make up its mind - is T2 the plague of the modern world or just a cold and snotty nose type illness. I was diagnosed in May 2014 with a fasting level of 13.8. I couldn't get an appointment with the nurse for three weeks (holiday -hers not mine) so I do what any sensible person would do bought my self a monitor and test strips and good book. By the time I went to see the nurse my level was down to 8.3 on morning tests. Good job I took the initiative because she told me - she didn't have time to do a first review, she wished she had known it was my first review. Strange thing I did mention it to the receptionist and it was in my notes - but we will let that slip. She then told me she couldn't give me a prescription for test strips as my tester was not the one the practice gives you for free. My test plugs into my iPhone so my results are there for me to see all the time in A graph, in a log in an average. She then told me I only need to test once a week. By this time, having lost interest and five hours pay as the appointment was in the middle of the day and work 30miles from my home I bought the appointment to close and decided not to bother with her in the future.
The book I bought was brilliant type 2 the first 12 months and this forum is fantastic - I have gained more insight and advice from these than for the NHS. If I was you I would test from what I have read there is no cure - you can control it but you can't cure it. I also think that every home should have a tester and should test once a week - the articles that I have read state that rather than t2 being the result of obesity the thinking now is that obesity is the result of a pre disposition to t2 as a result of your genes.

Reactions: 7 people

kyrani99

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
toxic people
I was not talking about you. I am in this situation and wondered if Pipp may also be. My suggestion is to certainly test for the first few months.

Testing is important.
I tested for about three years after my readings were normal. First I saw my bgs were back to normal and then gradually i went back to my old diet and my bgs still normal. That was over about a 6month period and then I continued testing for at least another two years and even with junk food i was still okay. Then I felt that I did not need to test any more.

kyrani99

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
toxic people
- the articles that I have read state that rather than t2 being the result of obesity the thinking now is that obesity is the result of a pre disposition to t2 as a result of your genes.

Genetics is blamed too much and for nearly everything. Consider this. The genes are not even a parts list. Genes translated are just a string of amino acids. They are then transformed inside the cell into particular proteins and the cell decides if they are going to be modified. There is epigenetic down or up regulation and there are other changes too that can be made even later. So the genes are only a blue print for the parts list and that is changeable due to epigenetic changes. Genes do not control anything.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you can be genetically predisposed to getting diabetes. The stats are quite strong.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The NHS needs to make up its mind - is T2 the plague of the modern world or just a cold and snotty nose type illness. I was diagnosed in May 2014 with a fasting level of 13.8. I couldn't get an appointment with the nurse for three weeks (holiday -hers not mine) so I do what any sensible person would do bought my self a monitor and test strips and good book. By the time I went to see the nurse my level was down to 8.3 on morning tests. Good job I took the initiative because she told me - she didn't have time to do a first review, she wished she had known it was my first review. Strange thing I did mention it to the receptionist and it was in my notes - but we will let that slip. She then told me she couldn't give me a prescription for test strips as my tester was not the one the practice gives you for free. My test plugs into my iPhone so my results are there for me to see all the time in A graph, in a log in an average. She then told me I only need to test once a week. By this time, having lost interest and five hours pay as the appointment was in the middle of the day and work 30miles from my home I bought the appointment to close and decided not to bother with her in the future.
The book I bought was brilliant type 2 the first 12 months and this forum is fantastic - I have gained more insight and advice from these than for the NHS. If I was you I would test from what I have read there is no cure - you can control it but you can't cure it. I also think that every home should have a tester and should test once a week - the articles that I have read state that rather than t2 being the result of obesity the thinking now is that obesity is the result of a pre disposition to t2 as a result of your genes.
I liked your post and agree with the majority of it. The only thing I would like to say is that I notice the book you refer to was published in 2004. This was before Prof Taylor's study with the Newcastle diet. I believe that in a very few cases of type 2's there has now been a cure, but these are so recent that we don't know much about them and if the cure is lifelong or not. That is why I think Pipp should test and monitor her BG's so that she knows if she is indeed cured or if the diabetes is simply very much improved. I think it's a cure that will not work for everyone..........but time will tell.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i read some where that in 2003 there are finding which support the concept that diabetes are progressive. one of those who found this theory was prof taylor. it was popularly recognized because it was found in havard. in 2011, prof taylor discovered the new findings but it was not popular.

firstly, it was not funded by drugs companies, secondly he is not teaching in havard as a guest lecturer. the other day a tv show here has an endo saying that there are proof of such reversal and it applies to a specific group of individual.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Proof, yes well I think you have one on this forum and she has been doing great for the last 3 years. Well done @Pipp I wish I have as much success as you. BTW reading a few other posts across the forum I think there are a few more that just haven't realised it either because they like their new life and diet so no reason to even consider wondering or deep down know it but put it to the back of their minds lest they fall back into their old habits. Whichever, a big well done to them as well.

As to the testing, there becomes a point when it tells you nothing more. I am there now. Fasting between 4.6 and 5.4 dependent on time I get up and how much protein the night before. Never seem to go above 8 nowadays even at one hour. I am not testing to learn anything new I am testing as a comfort blanket. I have cut this down to morning and 2 hours after main meal now but I don't know how many times I just winder what I am now.

I can see now that all I need is a long term trend and over a period of years (to come) testing once a week will give me that. This works if you don't need to worry about each individual food stuff. The question is do I have the confidence in my body to behave and not degenerate when I am not looking.

Reactions: 7 people

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slightly off topic-ish, but Kyran, you are also now within normal levels without medication and can eat "normal" food?

What did you do to achieve this? Was it also massive weight loss and the newcastle diet like Pipp?

Anyone else fall into this category of not needing meds and being able to eat pretty much what they want without BG spikes? If so i'd be curious to hear how it was achieved.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i believe diabetics can accomplish reversal quite easily.. simply by not being a fat inside trim outside.

after reading i found out that one has to used up the glycogen in the liver and pancreas by starving it from carbohydrates.

usually people lost weight doing that.

kyrani99

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
toxic people
Slightly off topic-ish, but Kyran, you are also now within normal levels without medication and can eat "normal" food?

What did you do to achieve this? Was it also massive weight loss and the newcastle diet like Pipp?

Anyone else fall into this category of not needing meds and being able to eat pretty much what they want without BG spikes? If so i'd be curious to hear how it was achieved.

I am in the process of writing the first of two posts on my main blog about what I discovered and was relevant for me. I did not have a weight problem and lost weight so I ended up underweight when I had diabetes. Incredibly I resolved some very distressing issues that had plagued me for two years or more and distanced myself from some people who turned out to be false friends.

I'll let you know when I finished the post and put it on my blog if you like.
Kyrani

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think @Pipp and @Andrew Colvin are the two who most immediately spring to mind, although they may chose to comment for themselves. I don't take meds and am currently sampling reintroducing more carby foods to my day to day diet, which is going pretty well, so far.

Speaking for myself, I reduced my carbs, brought my sugars down to non-diabetic levels, and lost any excess weight before reintroducing additional carbs. That said, I have always been able to tolerate some unusual carbs (from a diabetic perspective), like tropical fruit, rice and bread; although these have always been in very modest quantities, and not every day. I'm now trying to work my way through a variety of scenario I would like explore, but am also being a little more relaxed in social environments where a wider diet makes joining in simpler. To be fair, none of my experiments, to date, have involved sweets, puddings, cakes or the like, as they're not high on my priorities, or on my wish list.

Reactions: 6 people

Raspin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks andbreath, I can live without sweets and cakes, puddings and pasta too, but i'd love to be able to eat bread, potatoes and rice. I'm just low carbing at the mo, not watching the calories too closely as low carbing seems to mean i'm not eating a huge amount of high calorie stuff anyway. Fish or chicken is prob the highest Calorie thing i'm eating

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Raspin have a read of my success story thread "got my 3 month hba1c" thread. It explains my approach. This week whilst being on holiday I have been eating normally including burgers chips bread and butter pudding treacle tart bake well tart and not seen anything over 7.2. Can't believe it is helping my weight loss though. Oh well back to normal next week.

Reactions: 6 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I think @Pipp and @Andrew Colvin are the two who most immediately spring to mind, although they may chose to comment for themselves. I don't take meds and am currently sampling reintroducing more carby foods to my day to day diet, which is going pretty well, so far.

Speaking for myself, I reduced my carbs, brought my sugars down to non-diabetic levels, and lost any excess weight before reintroducing additional carbs. That said, I have always been able to tolerate some unusual carbs (from a diabetic perspective), like tropical fruit, rice and bread; although these have always been in very modest quantities, and not every day. I'm now trying to work my way through a variety of scenario I would like explore, but am also being a little more relaxed in social environments where a wider diet makes joining in simpler. To be fair, none of my experiments, to date, have involved sweets, puddings, cakes or the like, as they're not high on my priorities, or on my wish list.
I just got back from Holiday. My wife ordered dominos pizza. I took Thai green chicken curry and cauliflower rice out of the freezer. She left 3 slices.
Oops.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
@Raspin have a read of my success story thread "got my 3 month hba1c" thread. It explains my approach. This week whilst being on holiday I have been eating normally including burgers chips bread and butter pudding treacle tart bake well tart and not seen anything over 7.2. Can't believe it is helping my weight loss though. Oh well back to normal next week.

Is that 7.2 at 2 hours Andrew?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nope 7.2 at 45 mins and it went down at one hour and further still at 2. Decided to test here after the very sweet bread and butter pudding custard burger and chips so was curious/expectant of higher