upset by my DR

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 4 months ago and at my last appointment my Dr made a comment that although I'm doing well and my bloods are good that I would end up on Insulin anyway which really upset me. I had been working really hard on my diet ect and I had lost 12kg and I felt I was doing well but after his comments I have found it really hard to stay on track and I'm starting to wonder if I should bother, is it really worth the hassle of trying. While I'm typing this I feel like crying, I'm just feeling hopeless and lost at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Comments like that would make me even more determined to prove Doc wrong !! You're doing great. I can't say whether you will or won't eventually end up on insulin but you certainly have the power to at least delay it by a long time. Don't give up, it's you who will end up with complications, not your doc ! Be strong and take care, Mo

desidiabulum

I really wouldn't give it a second thought. I was told exactly the same thing when I was diagnosed and four years on I'm no nearer to needing insulin. Doctors feel it's safer to be pessimistic. In the future, remember what your doctor said and you can keep patting yourself on the back every time you prove him wrong (I do!) -- every year that goes by without your needing insulin shows just how good you are. If your bloods are good then you are winning. And you are also allowed to be smug about it!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Your doctor is stupid. There is no cure for stupid.

There is however, a good chance that with your excellent control, you will never have to take insulin. Keep up your good work :)

Reactions: 7 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
50% will be on insulin within 6-10 years....that means 50% won't be on insulin

I'm betting on keeping my bg within range will give me better odds and getting my weight right will help my heart attack risk

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

50% will be on insulin within 6-10 years....that means 50% won't be on insulin

I'm betting on keeping my bg within range will give me better odds and getting my weight right will help my heart attack risk
Do you know if those statistics are based on following the NHS "eat plenty of carbs and never test" advice?

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is your doctor type 1 stupid or type 2 stupid? ;-)

I was diagnosed in November and put straight on 3 x 500 mg metformin. I've only ever seen the nurse. I've gradually reduced medication and finally saw a doctor 6 weeks ago to reduce from 2 to 1 dose. He agreed but then said " but you've got to realise diabetes is progressive and you'll end up back on it anyway."

Well now I am completely metformin free. It's a new challenge and helps to keep the fight fresh.

When that doctor said that to me I felt much like you do now. "What's the point?" But actually there is every point. Nobody can look into the future. Ok, so, let's say insulin is inevitable ... Do we want it sooner or later? Do we want the best life we can have until that day comes? Is taking insulin the end of the world?

Of course we want to be medication free for as long as we can. Maybe science will come up with some answer in the future. My aunt had been type 2 for some 30 years and my uncle for around 25 years. I don't believe they looked after themselves that well and they are both on insulin. My aunt is 82 and my uncle is 70. I'm fighting to ensure I have the chance to lead a long life, medication free for as long as possible.

Keep on doing what your doing. Create new challenges for yourself. Don't concentrate on what might happen, deal with what IS happening.

Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 8 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can't eat too much carb. The more the better Down here but we are encouraged to test and keep the bg right

www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Diabetes_and_insulin
All people with type 1 diabetes need insulin from when they are diagnosed, whereas many people with type 2 diabetes can manage their condition with careful diet, exercise and regular blood glucose testing when they are first diagnosed. Diabetes tablets that help keep blood glucose levels in target range are often needed. About 50 per cent of people with type 2 diabetes need insulin injections within six to 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

catherinecherub

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 4 months ago and at my last appointment my Dr made a comment that although I'm doing well and my bloods are good that I would end up on Insulin anyway which really upset me. I had been working really hard on my diet ect and I had lost 12kg and I felt I was doing well but after his comments I have found it really hard to stay on track and I'm starting to wonder if I should bother, is it really worth the hassle of trying. While I'm typing this I feel like crying, I'm just feeling hopeless and lost at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

You have not been diagnosed long and I really think that you have not come to terms with your condition Many people feel down at diagnosis and it can be perpetuated by myths, stereotypes and misinformation.

Whatever the Dr. may or may not have said, you now have a challenge to manage your diabetes to the best of your ability and in so doing improve you physical and mental health. You, the patient, have to manage this condition 24/7. Some people do go onto insulin through no fault of their own and a lot depends on education and support.

Have a read through this article which might help you understand why you are feeling so low and keep posting, keep asking questions and share your progress.

Diabetes explained. The Five stages of grief.
http://www.diabetesexplained.com/the-five-stages-of-grief.html

Take care,

CC.

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My personal thoughts are that Doctor’s entered their profession to cure people and make a difference. They are then faced with an onslaught of Diabetics, who are incurable, and in many instances progressive (Too many in denial and not visitors to this site). Faced with this they are ineffectual at best, they may as well stand on a beach and order the tide not to come in. They just don’t know what to do and will at times be pessimistic. Mt first major inspection at diagnosis had me in tears once I got home as it was so **** negative it felt like my feet were about to drop off although I wouldn’t notice because by then I would be blind and not feel anything due to neuropathy. After the tears were gone I got angry and decided to take control myself.

Now I get dozy comments like ‘Oh you should speak to my other patients’ which I smile politely to whilst thinking ‘You should speak to them, constructively, and empathically’. It seems that instead they look at generalised stats from the breadth of the NHS, which I guess shows the pessimistic picture they seem to have in their heads. Here on this site though there are thousands of us who have supported each other and got some control back, which drags the stats up slightly for the whole, but improves our lives greatly.

Take heart you are using this forum and there is plenty of support here to help you to improve your BS and keep progression at bay as best you can.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Don't despair repair.
That's my new motto regarding diabetes.
The more I read on here the more I realise how ignorant I am regarding my own situation,
I don't have a team.
I have a lady at the surgery who is very nice great fun but doesn't know very much about diabetes it seems.
I've been told seven is the reading I should be aiming for.
I've managed seven or pretty close for ages but struggle to keep it up there.
Having read this place and been talked to by someone elses doctor it seems I should be aiming for four or five.
The amount of ignorance out there regarding diabetes is disturbing.
I'm sticking with you lot.
I reckon I can find the right balance somewhere from all the advice and experience on here.
I know were all different but I reckon health wise I'm better off taking what I can from you ... and you and you and you.
Thankyou everyone who puts in the effort.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Most of the posts have given the right advice. Yes, the doctor is stupid or ignorant. If your T2 is due to insulin resistance probably thru excess weight then the right low-carb diet will hopefully avoid ever needing more than diet and some tablets. The NHS diet advice is almost guaranteed to need insulin in the long-term hence it's best ignored. Around 15% to 20% of so-called T2s are probably mis-diagnosed Late onset T1s and these will need insulin just as I did. So, don't worry about the insulin at present and just have the right diet and may be you will never need insulin; even if you do it isn't a problem anyway

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My doctor told me I'd end up on insulin too, but 12 years in I'm doing pretty well on 2 x 500mg. Mettformin and tightly controlled carbs. It can be done and theyre not alwaays right, however if you consistently run your BG high, insulin may be the answer. I fund my own test strips and monitor frequently [1 to 2 times daily] to see I stay on target. My own personal target is below 6 at any time of day.
Hana
Insulin is much better than high sugars.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Given same **** by useless dn at our surgery. My met has been reduced from 3 tablets to 1. Yes some people do progress to insulin. All you can do is control your diet and weight and limit the chances of it being you. Keep going, stay strong! It'll be interesting to see where you are in 3 months time! Med free?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would just like to thank everyone that replied it lifted my spirits back up and I am getting back on track. I have managed to lose another 2kg and I now have a new doctor who I can really talk to which is great. I also found out my HbA1c results from Feb 100/13.9% and May 52/7% so I will work on reducing this if I can.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately for your doctor, there are these things called facts, which can quite readily prove him wrong. If you are not on insulin now, and can achieve normal blood sugars through diet and/or medication, it means your pancreas still has insulin producing cells left. The only reason you would need to inject insulin is if something happened to these. The reason you are classed as a type 2 diabetic is that some of your insulin producing cells have been destroyed. This is most likely because you have become insulin resistant. For a lot of type 2s, the cycle goes like this: A high carbohydrate diet is followed. This causes weight gain, and high insulin production. With a lot of insulin in the bloodstream, large amounts of glucose is stored, and becomes fat. Also, the body starts to become resistant to insulin. Many type 2 diabetics actually produce more insulin than a non diabetic, but they cannot properly utilise it because of their resistance. This puts a lot of strain on the insulin producing beta cells in the pancreas, and over time they start to permanently burn out, leading to type 2 diabetes.
If you change your diet (and the fact you have lost so much weight already shows this is what you have done), and increase your exercise, your insulin sensitivity will increase dramatically. Medications such as metformin can also achieve this. This will take the strain off of your pancreas. If your blood sugars are within normal range, providing your lifestyle is healthy, it suggests you still have enough insulin producing cells left to manage well. So my question to your GP would be this: If your body can produce the insulin you need, and you have removed the process of insulin cell destruction, why would you ever need to inject it?

Reactions: 5 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
My mom's been diet controlled for 40 odd years and has never been on diabetic medication nor insulin not even when hospitalized she's now 80 and still diet controlled despite being bed ridden and waiting for a bed in a nursing home (she's dying). She did watch her carbs but she didn't low carb it by any means, nun of this LCHF or what ever it is, she followed the Canadian Food Guide paired with the nutritional info for the Canadian Diabetic Association.

Her glucose at almost any given time checked is 5.2 and has been for the past 10 years of her life - it might spike to 5.5 but thats uncommon or drop to 4.6 but again thats uncommon. She doesn't test daily anymore, weekly is more common and once a month is the most common with a1c's dun by her GP every 3 months and they are always in the "normal" non diabetic range and have been for 10 years now. She use to only ever test 2 or 3 random times in a day unlike me who has to test 8 times a day to do being a insulin dependant T1.

So it is possible to live a healthy life as a type 2 and never need medication or insulin, but its not common for many since many are not caught until complications are already in place and trying to get an older adult to change their lifestyle isn't always easy as it is when your younger to degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
them levels look normal to mine....and I am on meds