What kind of cheese is good?

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
so the up shot is full fat milk is better than semi ?? even with all the sugar,,,, really hope so as I was thinking of adding milk to my protein shakes instead of water ,, planning to bulk up a bit after the North Run and full fat milk could speed things along in that department but was wary about the sugars

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the advice of my dear friends wallace and grommit it has to be wenslydale :D:D:D;)

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

so the up shot is full fat milk is better than semi ?? even with all the sugar,,,, really hope so as I was thinking of adding milk to my protein shakes instead of water ,, planning to bulk up a bit after the North Run and full fat milk could speed things along in that department but was wary about the sugars
Are you testing your blood at home regularly? I asked you the other day, but think you rubber eared me. Sorry to nag ;) I think it is more important than ever now that you mention taking on a big physical challenge.

Reactions: 2 people

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is so much to take in. My head could burst sometimes :D

So true.... I'm sure I read that some place, but heck if I can remember..... The problem with the internet is all the mis-information and weeding through to find the relevant truth. Thanks for catching that and correcting my mistake. I since edited my post to remove it in case it steers someone wrong.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Marko723
Actually it's extra confusing, I note you live in Canada and your labelling system for foods is different to that in the UK.

On European labels fibre is already deducted from the carbohydrate content . Therefore if you use labels of websites based in the Europe for carb info you shouldn't try to deduct it again. . If you do you may occasionally even end up with totally impossible negative numbers.

The label on the left is from Canada, it has a total carb of 18g ;2 grams of this are fibre and 2g sugar. (it is per 87g/125ml which I assume is the portion size)
The label on the right is from the UK. It has a carb content of 20.8/100g of which 1.5g is sugar.
The 2.1g of fibre appears separately because it has already been deducted
canadian UK labels.JPG

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Marko723
Actually it's extra confusing, I note you live in Canada and your labelling system for foods is different to that in the UK.

That I did not know. Which could explain some of the anomalies I've noticed on some things.

Thanks
Mark.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That I did not know. Which could explain some of the anomalies I've noticed on some things.

Thanks
Mark.
Yes, and I meant to add for everone.
The figure that comes up on google if you put in' food ' carbohydrates is from the US so includes fibre (ie you can deduct it)
My Fitness Pal has people from all over the world so it depends on what their country does as to what they put in. (not always obvious, in Australia and Europe they deduct fibre from the carb count , in the US and Canada, they don't; no idea what they do in Malaysia or China!)

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you testing your blood at home regularly? I asked you the other day, but think you rubber eared me. Sorry to nag ;) I think it is more important than ever now that you mention taking on a big physical challenge.

sorry if I never replied to a direct question,, must have missed it somehow. No I don't have a meter. TBH I don't even know if I am a proper pre-diabetic as I had my blood tested twice a year for high cholsetrol for the whole 12yrs I was in the RAF and never once did they ever mention anything about my glucose levels.

I went to the GP last december as I had a cold/bug that I just couldn't shift (on off for about 6 weeks) ,, the Doc suggested a blood test to rule out anything to do with my immune system and thats when they came back with a reading of 43 on the HBA1C. The thing I forgot to mention to the GP was that for the whole of that 6 weeks prior I had been going over to sainsburys on my lunch and buying Lucozade ,,,they had an offer on their big 1.5L bottles of buy one get one free,,,,so I did :facepalm::oops:. My mum used to always give us that as kids when we where poorly,,so after about 6 weeks of 3L a day no wonder my levels where all over the place. My dad however developed Type2 in his 50's so I am just taking it as a warning right now.

I reckon with all the weight loss, and exercise I have done since (and Lucozade free) I would or should be back in the Normal range right now.

I am kind of in Limbo a bit right now as I am going through the recruitment phase to go back into the Forces with the Army. I have passed 3 medical stages and have a full physical next week,, pass that and I'm in. I don't really want to go back to the GP before that as I believe they now have access to my records (GP Disclosure was last stage) ,, right now its just one random test on my record,, another one should it still be 43 or higher could draw unwanted attention.

Once I hopefully pass the med next week I will wait for the formal job offer,, after that when I hand in my month notice I will have time then I think to go and get a quick test before going under their medical care on entry. That's the plan anyway

Exercise wise I have already ran distances of up to 11.5 miles and feel fit and well otherwise so fingers crossed the GNR should be good. Doing it for Diabetes UK,,,,as I thought it pretty fitting.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I thought that "normal" folk would get away with drinking lucozade without it elevating their hba1c. I thought that was the difference between Ds and non-Ds. Dunno. I guess if you are pre-D then the army docs will let you know. Home testing, if you are concerned about your sugar levels, would not show up anywhere. All the best with your new career and with the run :)

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
So when you guys that are on LCHF diets go for milk do you go full fat?? I noticed that milk has a lot of sugars esp the full fat one. Thats why I went with semi skimmed ???
No milk at all since almost two years, double cream or butter for my coffee and also some coconut oil (froth it with my ikea frother).
Love continental cheeses favorite Ossay Iraty, Taleggio or Langrese, somtimes Jarlsberg (that nutty flavours i hard to beat).

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I love chedder but also stilton and apricot or stilton with fruit and is it wenslydale with cranberries however not had those 3 since Dx
I tend to not stop once l start so avoid temptation

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not entirely sure hence why I am still making the changes etc but the Doc when I went back for something else seemed to think that amount of what is pure Glucose over that amount of time so close to the test could affect it,,, and even the army tests I am getting next week have stated that I NOT drink fizzy drinks,energy drinks,coffee, alcohol or sugary foods for 12 hours before as it can affect whatever tests they are planning to do.

Strange tho from what I have been told its only a urine sample which I would have assumed was the drug screen,,not sure if higher sugar'glucose levels can be picked up that way,, but no doubt I will find out soon enough

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I went off milk at school around nineteen fifty something.
But since coming to this site I've started buying it ... to make into yoghurt.
Cottage cheese making next .....

trueblue

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went off milk at school around nineteen fifty something.
But since coming to this site I've started buying it ... to make into yoghurt.
Cottage cheese making next .....

Full fat or semi skimmed ??

Actually I noticed on the back of the carton that the carb content was much the same for both,, not sure where I saw before that the full has more sugar but we get our milk from sainsburys, morrisons and the local store so perhaps one brand was higher than the one currently in the fridge right now.

As someone said earlier that the fat nullifies the carbs this could be real winner , esp when I am trying to bulk up lateron,,,,,just had a big glass of my daughters there and forgot just how much nicer it is lol

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Full fat or semi skimmed ??

As someone said earlier that the fat nullifies the carbs this could be real winner , esp when I am trying to bulk up lateron,,,,,just had a big glass of my daughters there and forgot just how much nicer it is lol

Sorry, it fibre that helps in carb reduction.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.