BS 1.9 two hrs after dinner!?!

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Don't know what happened or why. We'd had a potato rosti with fried onion, sausage and musrooms topper.

I used 700gm uncooked potato, grated then baked in a custard sauce made from eggs and cream. I injected my usual insulin for that amount of potato (shared between 2 of us) then major hypo'd. OH was his usual, very helpfull self.

Anybody have any idea why as we like this meal and I'd like to make it again at some stage.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could well be the fat content delaying the absorption of the carbs in your meal, next time try a little less insulin and see what result you get, or you might want to inject after you've finished your meal Bob.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Potato in custard sauce .... I'm going back to bed.

Reactions: 4 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was on injections, I was advised to split my bolus when having high fat meals. Personally I would have forgotten to take the second lot of insulin so those meals were few and far between!

Reactions: 2 people

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Hi all,

Don't know what happened or why. We'd had a potato rosti with fried onion, sausage and musrooms topper.

I used 700gm uncooked potato, grated then baked in a custard sauce made from eggs and cream. I injected my usual insulin for that amount of potato (shared between 2 of us) then major hypo'd. OH was his usual, very helpfull self.

Anybody have any idea why as we like this meal and I'd like to make it again at some stage.
Well did your bs shoot up after you corrected the low blood sugar? that would indicate delayed carb digestion due to high fat content of the meal. If after correcting your sugar was stable or continued to fall then you had too much insulin for the carb content.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Like the others I would suspect it was the high fat content of the meal. So your insulin hit home before the food. Simple solution is to delay your bolus until you eat instead of 20 mins before and or split your dose.