Moving from Low Carb to Higher levels

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time to make a new post with an update

I am now eating 250+ grams of carbs per day - unable to lose weight with this level even with stopping nuts and lots of exercise but I am not gaining.

BG levels showing a really interesting pattern now. I no longer have a spike at one hour and then drop rapidly! What happens now is that I have a modest rise to 7, if I do not overdo it with very fast acting carbs (or 8.5 with them) but then it flat tops and then comes down. I can only put this down to my pancreas/liver/brain now controlling my digestive system and stopping too much glucose from being released. There must be another hormone that has come into play that was also deficient as well. Will have to do some research.

Did 2 days of measuring every 2 hours (whilst awake) 6AM-10PM and highest I saw was 7 throughout the whole period. I ate all manner of "bad stuff" to try and break my BG levels but failed.

Anyway, interesting as this, I think it is time to reduce the carbs again so I can lose that last stone. So how do I give up these carbs and the peanuts! :banghead:
Weigh the peanuts and eat them one by one from a small plate/dish after you have put the packet away in the cupboard.....well it might work for you, it does for me;):)

Reactions: 3 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Swap the peanuts for a few pistachios in their shells.Getting them out slows it down a bit and I find after about 5 I'm bored. I also like a cathedral city vintage cheese portion as a snack. Only 12g and 50 cals but it has enough bite to make me think I've had a treat. what level of carbs do you want to pitch back in at? 250g a day seems a lot!!

Reactions: 2 people

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading the thread but did not have much to add as I am sill experimenting with carb levels. I am more like following 5:2 diet. Few times binge on peanuts and trying to avoid that now. Very addictive. With exercise my BS levels have improved but having carbs during the day BS levels are fine but in the mornings BS levels 6.2-6.6, once it was 7.4. Not happy with that, but do not want to do HF. I realised I need to do increase my exercise levels. I will keep trying......

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, I was eating lot of butter (because i love anchor butter) and cream cheese. I only have 10-20g of butter now and no cream cheese.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat as much fat as I need to make me feel ok. Have lost 4.5 stones in 7 months. Cholesterol is 3.7. (HDL 2.0). It is not about deep frying everything:)

Reactions: 4 people

Positive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to you, your figures are great. Please could you write your food on a typical day. Thank u

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a real diet. I try to eat 3 meals a day and no snacks (often fail recently) I aim for 20-25g (actually aim for less than 20 but some times accept 20-25) of carbs in each meal. I don't bother about cutting fat. just have what feels good. I enjoy dishes like Bacon garlic cream and parmesan with thin strips of courgette instead of spaghetti. I only eat full fat yoghurt now, but not a lot. My meter basically told me what to eat. The NHS tells unmedicated T2s not to test. Then they cant understand why they think I am cured. It has worked for me although someone last night said dropping HbA1c too quickly was dangerous.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't have a real diet. I try to eat 3 meals a day and no snacks (often fail recently) I aim for 20-25g of carbs in each meal. I don't bother about cutting fat. just have what feels good. I enjoy dishes like Bacon garlic cream and parmesan with thin strips of courgette instead of spaghetti. I only eat full fat yoghurt now, but not a lot. My meter basically told me what to eat. The NHS tells unmedicated T2s not to test. Then they cant understand why they think I am cured. It has worked for me although someone last night said dropping HbA1c too quickly was dangerous.

Snap, except I barely manage 2 meals.snap with ingredients you eat, except I have flax and chia seeds as well. I nowadays never worry about putting fat in. I actually worry about leaving it out!!
I am still not the high fat everybody mentions... Just higher fat and better health, but always a lean type 1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Snap, except I barely manage 2 meals.snap with ingredients you eat, except I have flax and chia seeds as well. I nowadays never worry about putting fat in. I actually worry about leaving it out!!
I am still not the high fat everybody mentions... Just higher fat and better health, but always a lean type 1
You taught me Donald.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Zucchini lasagne... Now have orders of this weekly for neighbours, customers and friends... Yummy!! Best ever!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Or big courgettes at moment!! Trying to use them all up from customers n my garden. Still have 2 strawberries ready to pick in own garden!