Really Confused With My Recent Readings

Yashak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone

I ahve been tracking my meter reads for about a month now, and have found some highs and some lows and its kidna been fun seeing what is good and what is not!

But just this week I thought I was doing quite well - somewhat higher readings in the morrning (high 6s to 7s) which then settled to mid to high 6's during the day. I was nauthy once and got a spike reading of 10.4 with Pizza but otherwise have been pretty good.

But this week I have seen my Dietician and Educator, and have started a Low Calorie diet to help with weight loss. my readings have not been as 'spiky' which is great

However today was a naughty day at work - we had Morning Tea in the Office, and I sneaked a profiterole. My reading this morning before breafast was 6.0, then after breakfast wa 6.4. But then half an hour after the profiterole was consumed it was 5.4.

I am really confused as I expected after eating chocolate custard cream puff profiterole I was expecting 8s or above, but it went down. And I am feeling sleepy and a little lethargic :) Should I test again or just let it go and put it down to a once off treat? Why would it go down not up???

Thanks in advance :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
There's no mystery to it ... it can happen where your tolerance / BS to that "snack" might be radically different from someone else.

Just to test it, eat it again (if you feel brave :) )and monitor the result :)

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, What type are you? I am in the slow process of my pancreas giving up on me, so some days it seems to function completely normal and I can eat whatever I want with no ill effects (I know I shouldn't, but hey once it is gone it is gone) and other days It is like no matter what I do I can't get it out of the mid teens. I ave seen me be good all week and be very strict with my input and my readings can still be all over the place.

Yashak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 recently diagnosed at the end of October. Not currently on medication but doctor has asked me to self manage for 3 months to see how I go

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi, What type are you? I am in the slow process of my pancreas giving up on me, so some days it seems to function completely normal and I can eat whatever I want with no ill effects (I know I shouldn't, but hey once it is gone it is gone) and other days It is like no matter what I do I can't get it out of the mid teens. I ave seen me be good all week and be very strict with my input and my readings can still be all over the place.

According to her / his profile Yashak is a newly diagnosed type 2 :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
could be the cream and fat slowing digestion, normally it's a 2 hr test, the 1 hr is to pick up the quick carbs, the 2 hr should be lower, if it's higher or testing a new food, do a 3 hr test
google: diabetes pizza effect

the act of eating could have triggered a first insulin response and there wasn't enough glucose for it so you dropped

or..if diabetes was easy, none of us would be here :)

Denthezen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your diet only like I am, dont get hung up about self tests. Certainly don't be testing yourself half an hour after eating. No food is banned in moderation. Watch what you eat cut out obvious sugary sweets etc. you'll be surprised how quick your hba1c will come down after three months. Make sure your cholesterol is kept low. Diet control is all about discipline. Have you ever seen a non diabetic child after a high sugar drink? Everyone gets spikes depending on the amount of sugar in one go 1 chocoholic treat is not going to do any harm. Chill

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As Jack says, it could be the fat in the profiterolls slowing absortion of the carbs. BTW, diabetics need to focus more on having a low-carb rather than a low-calorie diet. The fats are not a problem overall but anything carby is.