Losing a few pounds...no insulin

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it's said that when you go toilet you excrete your calories if theres no insulin present in your blood so in theory that should help you lose weight, i know as i've tried it and it works, but im already underweight as it is.
just my opinion, ask your Dr ....
stopping insulin to lose weight is ineffective compared to LCHF ketogenic diet which is better, I and other T1's can run their blood ketone levels at 1-3, burning fat all the time with normal BG levels, without a risk of DKA
you adjust your weight by reducing some
carbs and how much energy you replace with food fats

spilling glucose in urine happens when your BG is high, it's easier not to put hi glucose in in the first place by cutting carbs in the first place isn't it? ' let the 'dietary ketones' build to around 1-3.. to be made out of body and dietary fat and still have normal BG with the onboard insulin
no insulin means the cells can't get glucose energy, so the glucose builds up in the blood which isn't good and is toxic too, so your body burns muscle and fat to create ketones for energy, this ketone levels builds quickly to unsafe levels and you're in hospital on a drip [treatment should start for high BG with over 0.6 ketones] ..

LOW CARB ketogenic DIET WITH NORMAL BG AND INSULIN LEVELS
ketosis.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
By deliberately not taking my insulin. I know this is bad, but, how bad? I have gained 10 pounds and it is getting me down. I have no will power when it comes to lie carb, especially when work is so stressful.

That's playing with fire, dangerous.:eek: Even though a lot of people don't like to gain weight, especialy women, you coukd be causing yourself untold complications and end up in hospital. Please dont do this. and please contact your GP or DSN for help, support and advice

RRB

Reactions: 2 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Sorry, I cannot sympathise with deliberate acts of self abuse and that is what this is. .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This person is in trouble and by coming on the forum and posting shows, to me, that the OP is not in a good place right now, guidance and some support could be the answer.
It would be fantsatic if everybody was the perfect diabetic and therefore didn't need these wonderful forums, but alas, no.

RRB

Reactions: 5 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I've struggled with weight all my life, and totally get why you are thinking about this. However, it is not worth it, believe me. I was on the DAFNE course with a girl who tried it and she ended up in hospital with DKA after 4 days.

As mentioned above, try the low carb route. I did, it works! I am losing weight, my blood sugars have been great (apart from over the last week where my insulin wasn't actually working... My sugars were hight and I felt awful).
With low carb ur sugars are way easier to control, u will look and feel a million times healthier too.

What's the point in looking thinner if ur skin goes all dry, ur hair falls out, u get spots and u look and feel awful? Sorry to put it like that, but it's true. I know how u r feeling and want to let u know that u can lose weight and be healthier by going low carb :)

Please give it a try before doing anything drastic, you can always get a lot of support and advice on the forum

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
By deliberately not taking my insulin. I know this is bad, but, how bad? I have gained 10 pounds and it is getting me down. I have no will power when it comes to lie carb, especially when work is so stressful.
Postitnote, as others have stated, this is a really bad idea. If you don't take your insulin you will end up in hospital and run the risk of blindness and limb amputation, not to mention kidney failure. Sorry to be blunt, but that is the impact as a T1 of not taking it.

Far better to look at some of the other options offered by posters on here. I too work in a very stressful job, 12 hours a day, but you can make low carb work in that environment. I have.

Please use the forum to get as much support as you need. We will help you as much as we can, and advise you the best that we are able. Sometimes life as a T1 sucks, but once we shrug it off and carry on, we are a lot happier.

Please don't stop your insulin.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I suspect but obviously don't know that your sad loss of a baby was due to Mother Nature making a decison and not related to high blood sugar. My wife and Mother both lost a baby and it happens. So, don't blame yourself but you can now move on and adopt the right life style which will help with both BS and weight

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't take my insulin for well over 12 months been back on it for a few weeks and I'm still finding it hard I've been diabetic since Jan 12 I am too thin, I'm exhausted, I don't sleep and atm ive lost my appetite...stick with it and don't give up x

CathytheChef

It's not only potentially life - threatening but it's also unnecessary. I find I lose weight best when my blood sugars are good. I totally do understand the temptation but in the long run unless you actually eat better you'll just put the weight back on and nothing will get better. Slow and steady wins the race on this one I think

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Postitnote

I went through a period of cutting back insulin to a bare minimum for years and it is a fast track to ruin. Yes, it is one hell of a quick way to lose weight but it is a guaranteed way to get severe complications. I'm partially sighted with kidney disease and currently battling to save my leg as I have Charcot foot which causes the bones in my feet and ankle to collapse due to nerve damage. I've got great control now but I can't undo or stop the progression of the complications I set in motion. So was being 6 stone worth it? Absolutely not.

You have obviously been through a really tough time but adding out of control blood sugar to the mix won't do anything to improve how you feel.

It is a very dangerous, slippery slope to even start on, you might think I'll only do it for just a short time but the day when you start to take control again just keeps drifting out of reach and as soon as you start injecting insulin again any weight loss is replaced, If you do feel you need to lose a few lbs do it sensibly with reducing carb intake and reducing your insulin to match the reduced carbs whilst maintaining good control and ask for help and support from your diabetes team and us lot on here.

Good luck, you deserve to feel well and stopping insulin is definitely not the way to go.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Have just had a rubbish few months. BG all over the place, then discovered I was pregnant, couldn't get my sugar under control, then lost the baby, I am told it wasn't because of my poor control but I wonder. Now am feeling fat and frumpy. And my husband is smothering me with his fussing. I know it is only because he cares and is worried but I wish he would just treat me normally.

Just wanted to send a message to check your ok ?

Hope you are taking your insulin and looking after yourself ;)

H

Hooked

It's a great way to lost weight! Eyesight damage/going blind means you won't see the reflection in the mirror OR the numbers on the weighing scales. Amputation of limbs due to complications will also assist with getting lower numbers on those scales.
It's seriously not worth it.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
*in old timey American salesmen voice*

"Get yer new miracle weight loss cure here! Those unwanted pounds will leave taking those unwanted frowns along with 'em!

You'll be light as a feather
out dancing in any weather because feelin' those pesky puddles on your cold soaked feet will be a thing of the past!
Heck why not just make your feet a thing of the past! No greater weight loss like a limb lost, that's what my gran-pappy used to say!

Hate what you see in the mirror? Well don't fret kiddo - seeing will be a thing of the past!

What's cheaper then insulin you ask? Well, no insulin of course!
You'll be saving dollar after dollar and loosing pound after pound!

Ask yourself this,
What is your health worth? Can't put a dollar value on it can ya, that can only mean it's worthless!, so you might as well just throw it away, or better yet trade it to us and we'll give a months supply of 'No insulin'! Free for a limited time!

Once you start with No Insulin the pounds, limbs and hair will practically be fallin' off! you'll never be able see the old you in the mirror again!

Act fast because once it's gone it's gone, and there's no getting it back!"

But seriously, skipping insulin to loose weight is a very dangerous short cut, it will only be cutting your life short.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Besides losing a few pounds you could also potentially lose a limb or two and perhaps your sight, if you deliberately refrain from taking your life saving medication. :(
You do not need to low carb in order to lose weight just look at what you are eating and decide what would be a better choice.