New with Diabetes 2

Vikingepigen

Hi all,

Just beeen diagnosed (today!) with Diabetes 2 and my doctors "pack" recommended I come here for support and advice - so here I am!

This is a bit scary, although my doctor assured me that I am not about to die or anything that serious!! :roll:

However, I could do with any advice and support from others in the same situation.

In the last 20 months I have managed to change my diet and exercise, for the first time in 20 years and I have lost 32kg, but need to loose more weight and sharpen up my diet.

I am a fuzzy eater, but worse than that I am a compulsive overeater, food is a daily struggle - especially now when I am home all day (have recently lost my job) and I big foe is sweets and cakes, as I also comfort eat when I get down.

So there you are - I am sure there must be others in the same boat. Perhaps we can support each other?

Best
Alice

Aadrgon

Hi Alice and welcome to this forum

firstly do you have a test meter and strips ?
secondly sweets and cakes are a big no no except on special occasions in small quantities.
Sounds like your diet is working for you if you've lost 32kg
Read through the posts in here to give you a general idea then ask any questions you need to - someone is bound to answer :)

Also might be an idea if you could let us know more about your diet and if possible you blood glucose (BG) results and HbA1c results if you know them.

Vikingepigen

Hi and thanks for you reply........

Last week my BG was 17 but the day before I had a huge binge - today it was down to 14, still very high, right? Do not (yet) know what HbA1c is - it is all so new to me and so much to learn.

As for my diet - I eat every 2-3 hours as it helps control binges and seem to keep my fat-burning up too. I'll have a regular yogurt for breakfast and if needed a piece of fruit. Snack fruit or a pastry (well, not any more!), lunch a pice of bread (Oberland or German Rye) with tuna, egg, pate or ham or similar. Snack again fruit or cake or bisquet (obviously changing now!). Dinner I'll have pasta with spag bog or bake potato with something (spag bog most often) - twice a week I'll have mash with 4 different veg (no meat). I also have homemade chicken korma with rice and similar. In the evening I have a couple of plain digivstives with a mini baby bell or a little soft cheese.

I have very little bread in my diet and obviously my pasta and rice will need to change to wheat/brown rather than white.

Fruit - I eat lots of melon and LOVE watermelon which will have to change, I know. I don't like apples, but eat bananas, pears, oranges, grapes, strawberries etc.

My downfall is my sweets which I desperately try to change, especially snacking on in the evening! I have tried to make my own raisins/nuts mix but again struggle to take just a handful - again the compulsive overeating kicks in .......... if it is there I just cannot keep my hands of it!

My diet cokes obviously will need to be a rare treat now, rather than a daily intake.

I look forward to seeing the diabetes nurse and discuss diet and food planning.

Do not have test meter or strips - my doctor is not keen to give in the first couple of months as he wants to see if can be controlled by diet changes and exercise. I have a new fasting blood test in 3 weeks and see him in 4 weeks. The same day as the blood test I see the diabetes nurse too.

I have purchased a couple of books about managing my diet etc – from the Diabetes website, so hope they will help getting to grips with all this new stuff!

Exercise – well, I am currently out of work and I am lazy by nature! But I do walk at least 2 miles each day, more often 4 miles and take a stroll after my evening meal – approx. ¾ miles.

So this is about it ……………. How am I doing for starters??

Thanks again
Alice

Ps. I have dropped from 118kg to 86kg and 3 dress sizes in the last 20 months – ideally I should loose another 10-12kg, but it worries me as I have not been that low for over 25 years and nature have changed my shape naturally over the years with childbirth etc. Should I relax and just keep going and take things as the come, as long as my blood sugar levels are controlled?? I would love to join a gym, but cannot afford to do it. Ideas??

Aadrgon

Hi again Alice

You're right a BG of 14 is still to high, HbA1c is a measurement of your average BG over the last 3 months ( roughly speaking ).
Be warned your diabetic nurse may suggest you go on a high carb low fat diet - It's generall not a good idea.
As a suggestion, read through the low carb forum as low carbing is a quick and easy way to get your BG down and also lose weight ( weight loss may take a few weeks to start working)

You NEED a test meter otherwise you cannot see what effect different foods have on your BG - bananas tend to give most people a spike in BG and mashed potato is as bad as eating spoonfuls of sugar.

Once you get your BG under control you can experiment with adding things back into your diet to see what effect they have.

As an example - my BG hit 19 just before I joined here and was normally about 13, I started low carbing and I've lost 20lb in weight over the last month. my BG is frequently under 7 but not as stable as I'd like yet. I'm not a strict low carber - I've cut out all bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and obviously sweets and chocolate. I eat lots of meat, eggs, cheese, salad stuff, snack on nuts but I don't limit what I eat.
It works for me - It might work for you - there are also some extremely yummie recipes if you cook.

Aadrgon

Hi again Alice

Just seen your post in the other board - sounds like your Doctor and diabetic nurse may be on the ball except for not giving you a test meter.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Alice,

I have added some comments to your post below.

Vikingepigen said:
Hi and thanks for you reply........

Last week my BG was 17 but the day before I had a huge binge - today it was down to 14, still very high, right? Do not (yet) know what HbA1c is - it is all so new to me and so much to learn.
Yes, 14 is extremely high - almost 3 times higher than it should be!

As for my diet - I eat every 2-3 hours as it helps control binges and seem to keep my fat-burning up too. I'll have a regular yogurt for breakfast and if needed a piece of fruit. Make sure the yogurt is a low carb one (below 10g carbs per 100g) Snack fruit or a pastry (well, not any more!), lunch a pice of bread (Oberland or German Rye) with tuna, egg, pate or ham or similar. Good choice for lunch, but maybe add some green salad/tomato/peppers to make it healthier? Snack again fruit or cake or bisquet (obviously changing now!). Drop the cake and biscuit. Dinner I'll have pasta with spag bog or bake potato with something (spag bog most often) - twice a week I'll have mash with 4 different veg (no meat). I also have homemade chicken korma with rice and similar. Pasta, rice and potatoes are 3 of the worst possible foods for a diabetic - all very high carb and will spike your blood sugar. In the evening I have a couple of plain digestives with a mini baby bell or a little soft cheese. Good choice.

I have very little bread in my diet and obviously my pasta and rice will need to change to wheat/brown rather than white. Wheat/brown are lower GI, but that simply means they convert into glucose slower than the white varieties. Look for low carb breads (like Nimble or WeightWatchers) and cut down the rice by at least a quarter.

Fruit - I eat lots of melon and LOVE watermelon which will have to change, I know. I don't like apples, but eat bananas, pears, oranges, grapes, strawberries etc. Melons and bananas are two of the highest sugar fruits and most of us tend to give them a wide berth.

My downfall is my sweets which I desperately try to change, especially snacking on in the evening! I have tried to make my own raisins/nuts mix but again struggle to take just a handful - again the compulsive overeating kicks in .......... if it is there I just cannot keep my hands of it! Nuts are a good idea, but raisins are almost pure sugar! Also avoid peanuts and cashews - these are members of the pea family, not nuts, and are high in carbs.

My diet cokes obviously will need to be a rare treat now, rather than a daily intake. I don't see why you've dropped diet cokes - contain no sugar and no carbs so won't impact either your blood sugar or weight.
I look forward to seeing the diabetes nurse and discuss diet and food planning. You need to bear in mind, as our dietitian Ally has often stated, diabetes nurses and GPs have no dietetics training and should not give dietary advice. We'd be interested to hear just what your DN recommends!

Do not have test meter or strips - my doctor is not keen to give in the first couple of months as he wants to see if can be controlled by diet changes and exercise. I have a new fasting blood test in 3 weeks and see him in 4 weeks. The same day as the blood test I see the diabetes nurse too. So how are you expected to know whether you have achieved control if you can't test to see the results? Unfortunately the truth (but your GP is unlikely to admit it) is that the PCTs are telling GPs to stop prescribing test strips because, with an ever increasing number of diabetics, they are costing the NHS too much money. You can argue the point with your GP, but you may just have to bite the bullet and buy your own tester and strips as many on here do.

I have purchased a couple of books about managing my diet etc – from the Diabetes website, so hope they will help getting to grips with all this new stuff! There are some great books and some that give terrible advice - which books did you get?

Exercise – well, I am currently out of work and I am lazy by nature! But I do walk at least 2 miles each day, more often 4 miles and take a stroll after my evening meal – approx. ¾ miles. I would say that's pretty good - probably more than many of us get!
So this is about it ……………. How am I doing for starters??

Thanks again
Alice

Ps. I have dropped from 118kg to 86kg and 3 dress sizes in the last 20 months – ideally I should loose another 10-12kg, but it worries me as I have not been that low for over 25 years and nature have changed my shape naturally over the years with childbirth etc. Should I relax and just keep going and take things as the come, as long as my blood sugar levels are controlled?? I would love to join a gym, but cannot afford to do it. Ideas??

Grumpy

I'm a newish T2 as well, and my BS levels have been up at 27!! However, with the excellent support and advice on this forum, I've been low carbing and this morning my BS was 8...I thought my eyes were deceiving me.:) The low carb makes the weight drop off slowly and gently - which is apparently the best way, because that way it stays off. And low carb doesn't mean no carb - I've just had a giant chocolate button straight out of the freezer! Mmmm....
I can't exercise, unfortunately, but I know you don't need a gym; just a good pair of walking shoes! :)

Vikingepigen

Hi Aadrgon and Dennis,

Big thank you to you both for your warm welcome and wonderful advice - it is very much appreciated.

My GP - well the practise really, are very nice (read progressive) and as I said my GP was immediately on to low carbs and GI foods, BUT that is was in combination with calorie count and exercise. So feel a lot more confident that I will be given good advice, but I sure will let you all know when I have seen the DN on 8th May.

Also the practise offer free treatments with Chiropodists, something I will be offered and arranged when I see the DN.

There is little over two weeks until my next blood test and I shall try to go low carb until then and see how it affects my blood sugars. So "ciao" to potatos, rice, pasta and bread.

Brave new world for me!! Not a big "green leaf" eater and detest tomatos and mushrooms!! :lol:

Funny enough I am low on food in the house as Friday is my shopping day, so excellent opportunity to make the changes now.

Will struggle on the yogurt issue with low carb, as those I have tried in the past are really nasty - but I sure will have another look at the offerings at the supermarket.

It is really quite comforting to have this place to come to - if only to vent fears and frustrations! Thanks guys!

Best
Alice

Ps. The books are: "The New Glucose Revolution Shopper's Guide to GI Values 2009: The Authoritative Source of Glycemic Index Values for More Than 1200 Foods" by Jennie Brand-Miller

and

"Type 2 Diabetes: The First Year - An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed (Patient-expert Guides): The First Year - An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed (Patient-expert Guides)" by Gretchen Becker.

They are both purchased for guidence rather than "bible study".

Aadrgon

Vikingepigen said:
It is really quite comforting to have this place to come to - if only to vent fears and frustrations! Thanks guys!
Hi again Alice

Anytime you want advice , a rant, or a laugh there is usually someone in here who can help.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Alice,
I have been reading your thread.
I thoroughly approve of the books you've chosen .Gretchen Becker is excellent.she's a friend of David Mendosa'a. David's website is just brilliant, HUGE, but brilliant. The difficulty for British users is that he's American ( as is Gretchen) and they use different units for talking about Blood sugars. You have to divide their numbers by 18 to get ours. Another good website for information is D-solve. And this one of course.
Diabetes UK can be useful, except for their advice on diet, which contradicts their own research. But they can help you find out about services you might need.

Trinkwasser

Gretchen Becker's book is an excellent start. She also has a blog

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/5068

which can be painfully slow at times

My favourite newbie site

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

unfortunately you NEED that meter ASAP!

Many other useful sites and information in the Stickies and Success Stories threads

You may find that your food cravings are actually carb cravings and will reduce when you reduce the carbs. You can set up a cycle where the carbs shoot your BG high, which shoots your insulin high, which quickly stashes the glucose from the carbs into store, which makes you hungry . . .

Vikingepigen

Update:

Interesting day today - had blood taken this morning and will be my doc on Thursday for the results. After that I had an appointment with the DN and I had mixed feelings about what to expect, but arrived armed with the recent research articles posted elsewhere here - just in case!!

But I had not need worry - what a wonderful woman she was (sadly only on loan to my practise for the month of May). First she asked me how the doc had left it with me and how I felt about it all etc etc etc. I then spent the next 15 minutes talking about how/what the doc had said, how I felt about it all - the research I had done, finding this forum and going low carb as it seemed to make a lot of sense to help me get my Bg under control and to loose some weight.

After my lengthy speech, she looked at me and smiled! Then she nearly made me fall of the chair by saying she was very pleased about me going low carb - she is banging on about it to all who care to listen! She knows this website and forum and recommend it highly!

We then discussed my diet, carbs and exercise. She said she was very happy with how I was managing everything and with the exercise I did too keep the carbs in the 40-50 range (and try to keep under 60) and I did right by adding a digestive in the evening as I did exercise two hours after. But also warned me about dropping below 30 carbs a day as it could trigger hypos etc. She herself have done the Atkins diet some years ago and lost a lot of weight but felt dreadful (she is type 2 herself!), but I was right in as long as I felt "right" to keep going with the balanced diet I am doing. She did say about my weight loss not to aim for the 18kg the doc had said, but aim for 12kg to begin with and see where I was at that point and then take it from there.

She also told me about how T2 are managed elsewhere in the world, e.g. New Zealand where people are immediately put on Low GI diets and carb management!!

I was referred to a dietician and the course they run for new diagnosed diabetics – 21/2 hours once a week for 5 weeks, covering all sorts of subject including carbs and low carb diets – how to shop for food with various diet requirements (we actually spend 2.5 hours in a local supermarket!) reading food labels etc etc. Sounds worthwhile and the DN was very happy to refer me.

She then asked if I had any questions and I tentatively asked about her standpoint about self-testing/management. To my surprise she was very balanced in her view. Talking about how different people react and it was much down to individual need and confidence. We discussed how I intended to use it initially and then testing more often/rigoursly when I come off the low carb diet (in about 3 months time) and change to Low GI with Carb control for permanent/future. She approved of my planning and said she wished she had more patients like me!! hehehe

In principle she had no objections to give me a meter and showed me several models she had in her bag, BUT as she is not permanently with my practice she wanted me to speak with my regular doc when I see him on Thursday and gauge the surgery practise, but as long as he was happy to support me, I could come down to the surgery on Friday morning and get a meter, and she would make time to show me how to use it etc.

What a result!! Much better than I expected – next hurdle will be my Doc on Thursday!! Wish me luck and I shall come back here and let you know how I got on.

Alice

Ps. She also said that with the proactive approach I had taken, she had no doubts that my blood figures would be very much improved!! Fingers crossed!!

Parselmouth

I have been trying the low carb diet this week, and have found it really terrible. I went ketotic pretty much straight away and felt so ill I had to have carbs, luckily they seem to have made me feel a bit better, but I still feel really depressed about the whole thing.

I can't understand how you people can eat nothing but protein and veg and still come across as perky, it seems unnatural and obsessively evangelising to me. The diet certainly doesn't make me feel better, it makes me feel a lot worse, both physically and mentally.

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place, if I eat the carbs it will kill me, if I don't I just feel like I want to die. :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Parselmouth said:
I have been trying the low carb diet this week, and have found it really terrible. I went ketotic pretty much straight away and felt so ill I had to have carbs, luckily they seem to have made me feel a bit better, but I still feel really depressed about the whole thing.
I can't understand how you people can eat nothing but protein and veg and still come across as perky, it seems unnatural and obsessively evangelising to me. The diet certainly doesn't make me feel better, it makes me feel a lot worse, both physically and mentally.
I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place, if I eat the carbs it will kill me, if I don't I just feel like I want to die. :(

Hi Parselmouth.

Well, you tried and it doesn't work for you. You don't have to go the whole hog and do an Atkins ?

Why not just try reducing the Carbs in your diet along with sugars etc. That approach works very well for me. You have to find your own 'healthy' diet. It isn't easy and you will be confused. Just try different things until you find what suits you best.

Vikingepigen

May I just point out that I am NOT doing Atkins DIet at all - my Carbs are about 40-50 a day and well spread out according to my activity.

Parselmouth, sorry you feel so unwell - for some it works, for others not. As Cugila point out you might need to try a different approach to the one you already tried. It all depends on how drastic you went about it.

I started with dropping bread, potatos, rich and pasta. My daily carb intake was about 120 the first day and in about a week I was done to 70 and in my second week I am managing 40-50 which I feel quite happy with.

I am most definately NOT obsessively evangelising, thank you very much - BUT I am very pleased that this is working for me, and tight control is necessary - at least for me - to stay the course. Others might be able to be more relaxed about it - horses for course.

Good luck
Alice

Parselmouth

My own options for 'healthy eating' may not be something I can live with from a mental health point of view.

For breakfast today I had a high protein meal replacement and half a mango (which is supposedly low GI), with a coffee made with skimmed milk and sweeteners, and my BS went from 7 to 12.4 after an hour. Chocolate has less of an effect!

So, what are the alternatives? Cereal is obviously out. Fruit is out. I can't find any yogurt that doesn't have the same effect on my BS.

I have read on here that bacon and scrambled eggs are good option for breakfast, but I also read on a link from DUK yesterday that processed meats are implicated in causing Type 2 in the first place, apart from which I can't tolerate much pork, it messes with my digestion. Eggs, apparently if more than one a day is eaten, your risk of colon cancer is much increased, quite apart from which the thought of eggs without bread makes me gag.

It seems I can't tolerate much other than salad, and I'm not eating that for breakfast as well as lunch and dinner.

I'm very happy for anyone who can do this and not go insane, The lack of carbs is messing with my head.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Parcelmouth.

Have you sought the advice of a Dietician ? May be a good place to start. We do have a couple of members who are HPC registerd Dieticians.

Vikingepigen

I am still new to all this too, but the sweetner could be part of the higher Bg readings, along with the Mango.

HOWEVER, can I suggest you start a food diary? I did and this way I learned about how much I ate, when and how many carbs I had.

Because I dropped bread etc. it is not necessarily the right thing for you! See if you can find a cereal without too much added sugar and if you can have that for breakfast without added fruit or sweetner, it would be a start.

See how I manage my diet I would call moderate carb intake or Carb management. And in all honesty I would forget DUK diet advice for a moment or two, if you are trying to change YOUR diet. How you feel is far more important and you might not do this all your life, after all.

It is finding a starting point and if you need 70 or 100 carbs a day to function, that IS your way.

I found Muller Light yogurts have less than 10g carb per 100g and would be an excellent alernative to breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack if you like.

If you cannot cope with eggs without bread how about buying Oberland (from Sainsburys). It is German/Scandinavian light sourdough bread, which would be useful if you limit your intake of breads to one slice a day. Or go for full German Ryebread which is filling and low GI if I remember rightly, but do check.

And I did get the Collins Carb book an it is excellent and I take with me when go shopping and use it extensively when calculating my meals. Bought it on Amazon for around £3.00

Hope this shed some light for you, but keep asking - you do sound very frustrated and that could put your Bg up too!! Know it is hard, I am still learing and getting to terms with it all, but this place has been so supportive - so keep trying, you WILL find your way.

Best
Alice

Do get the

Parselmouth

Thanks for taking the trouble to write so much, I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind for it today, though,

None of the cereals I've tried have been any good, all too high carb. I'm not eating bran without sweetener or fruit, I'd rather eat the wood shavings out of my hen house. I've tried the Weight watchers yogurt, they seemed to have the lowest sugar I could find (around 6g per 100) but they still affected me.

I'm not at all interested in seeing a dietician, the contradictory nature of the findings of research gives me no faith that they really know anything for sure, and if they are government funded I wouldn't believe anything they said on principle. One of the main problems I have with this illness is the contradictions in information I've found from all different sources, which leads me to believe none of them. There's a fair amount of difference of opinion even on what consitutes an ok range of blood sugars, so when that's taken into account, how can you even be sure what you are aiming for?

I don't have much weight to lose, only around a stone but unfortunately most of it is on my stomach due to having put it on during two close together pregnancies.

Sorry for derailing your thread and being so negative, Vikingepigen, I'll leave it there.

samcogle

Hi Parselmouth, you could be feeling so rough as you have given up carbs and are having carb withdrawals. If you are going to do it you need to do it slow and steady and reduce bit by bit. If this still doesn't work then it is not the diet for you.I did the trial and error thing and tested after everything I ate until I found what is wrong for me and what is ok. For example a couple of boiled potatoes don't affect my BG levels but rice does. I can also tolerate a slice of bread but not 2.
I really am the worst carb fiend in the world and empathise with you Alice as I used to binge eat and comfort eat, eat when i am happy, sad etc!! I am now in a bit of a state of shock as I seem to have dealt with the demons that ruled my eating habits and have lost nearly 4 stones in the process. Carbs don't bother me anymore and I have found that things like lentils or beans fill me up in place of the carbs and I am not going to starve to death.
Also Alice, I was a fussy eater, but I have forced myself to try salad stuff etc and now I know that it is ok to have some full fat mayo on it, salad is actually quite nice and I have discovered lemon juice and a bit of pepper makes everything taste yummy...except tomatoes...ewww they are just wrong :D