• Thread starter Deleted member 43917
  • Start Date

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Pork is classed as a red meat.
I too was never overweight my entire life till I started taking Gabapentin.
I shot from 14 st to 18 stone almost overnight at the same time as stopping being active because of spinal problems. Then came the diabetes which came as a surprise cos I have never been into sweets chocolates fizzy drinks pigging out etc. I reckon I caught it off a toilet seat.
I am now 15 stone which is ok at nearly 6' 3" and 61 .... I aint even trying to get to the 14 stone I was for thirty years as it would be unrealistic.
Discovering this place and LCHF has gotten me to the 15stone lower blood pressure lower cholesterol and excellent ... not perfect .... glucose control.
I count and weigh nothing.
I use my meter as my guide.
My knowledge of protein and calories is zilch.
My health has improved enormously thanks to the people who take the time to write and link and advise on here.
If I listened to my surgery I would be upping the meds gaining weight and feeling worse.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
ASDA have started flogging good old bacon bits again ... 75p a pack.
Smoked back streaky unsmoked all mixed up.
So as well as buying normal bacon I buy these packs for omelettes stews stirfries fried rice and bacon butties.
Bargain.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Make your own yoghurt.
Dead cheap dead healthy dead easy.

D

Deleted member 43917

Thanks for the yoghurt suggestion - I have bought an EasyYo yoghurt maker. I thought it would be okay to have some blueberries with them, so I bought some frozen ones.

What I'm noticing already though, is that eating very low carb does seem to be more expensive - I think I need to find more cheaper vegetable options.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cabbage is a staple in our household this time of year. You can eat it raw, boiled, fried or fermented, in salads, soups, stews etc. I love it.

Reactions: 4 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
We spend about 150.00 a month of food for our family (about 75 pounds), we don't buy processed foods or anything that comes from animals all of its plant based and a nun of its GMO that were aware of.

Rice, Beans and Lentils are the three main staples in our meal plans (i don't buy oats, gluten, corn or potatoes because I can't touch them do to celiac and allergies) - I do a lot of stews and fry ups (non oil based) that are naturally gluten free and full of everything that we like as a family plus is nutrient rich in general. Veggie wise it varies depending on what is on sale that week at the various grocery markets will mean what I plan out for the week of meals (carrot, cabbage, zucchini, spinach, kale, broccoli, onion, mushrooms and garlic might as well be part of the staples because they seem to make it into almost every evening meal and on weekends breakfast and even lunch).

Breakfast might well be the main processed style one since it tends to be a nutritional shake from vega one that I'll have (on the week days) mixed with frozen fruit and soy milk - it works for me and means little to no glucose spike between it and lunch. Lunch tends to be raw veggies with various home made dressings to drup the veggies into or i'll make up a nori wrap with the raw veggies and go from there. Dinner as i said are mostly stews and fry ups (tofu scramble, tofu n veggies, lentil stew, etc).

D

Deleted member 43917

Cabbage is a staple in our household this time of year. You can eat it raw, boiled, fried or fermented, in salads, soups, stews etc. I love it.
hi @Totto, thanks for posting - do you happen to have a good recipe for cabbage soup by any chance?

D

Deleted member 43917

We spend about 150.00 a month of food for our family (about 75 pounds), we don't buy processed foods or anything that comes from animals all of its plant based and a nun of its GMO that were aware of.

Rice, Beans and Lentils are the three main staples in our meal plans (i don't buy oats, gluten, corn or potatoes because I can't touch them do to celiac and allergies) - I do a lot of stews and fry ups (non oil based) that are naturally gluten free and full of everything that we like as a family plus is nutrient rich in general. Veggie wise it varies depending on what is on sale that week at the various grocery markets will mean what I plan out for the week of meals (carrot, cabbage, zucchini, spinach, kale, broccoli, onion, mushrooms and garlic might as well be part of the staples because they seem to make it into almost every evening meal and on weekends breakfast and even lunch).

Breakfast might well be the main processed style one since it tends to be a nutritional shake from vega one that I'll have (on the week days) mixed with frozen fruit and soy milk - it works for me and means little to no glucose spike between it and lunch. Lunch tends to be raw veggies with various home made dressings to drup the veggies into or i'll make up a nori wrap with the raw veggies and go from there. Dinner as i said are mostly stews and fry ups (tofu scramble, tofu n veggies, lentil stew, etc).

Thanks for posting @Nyxks - wow! That's amazing that you manage on so little for food and your diet sounds very healthy. I'm curious to know what you mean by a non-oil based fry up? I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'd be very grateful if you were able to pass on a basic recipe or two, or recommend a good recipe book to use?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Simplest cabbage soup: slice cabbage, fry it in batches in oil or butter, transfer to pot, add salt, pepper, stock or broth and simmer until done.

Favourite cabbage soup is made with lamb or mutton ribs as we keep sheep. Cut a cabbage in wedges and put in a large pot together with some lamb ribs in pieces, salt, whole black pepper and a litre of water. Let simmer for two hours.

If you can lay your hands on a couple of old laying hens ready for the pot you can make the most delicious broth from them to use for soups.

petina

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Jack the lad, I take gaberpentin for a trapped nerve. Did you find an alternativ
Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I'm still taking the Gabapentin but less as I'm on a very strong opiate called Palexia now.
Plus I've become a LCHF lifer which has helped amazingly.
Not everyone who takes it will put on weight remember.

North_West

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Redmond multicooker and making lots of delicious and low-budget meal. You really can cook from the scratch in that. For instance, put some meat or chicken, veggies and rice together and get delicious pilaf in 50 min - 1 hour. I've got my multicooker for less than 70 pounds from official Redmond web site. I'd recommend to get it to save your time and budget as well.

D

Deleted member 43917

Simplest cabbage soup: slice cabbage, fry it in batches in oil or butter, transfer to pot, add salt, pepper, stock or broth and simmer until done.

Favourite cabbage soup is made with lamb or mutton ribs as we keep sheep. Cut a cabbage in wedges and put in a large pot together with some lamb ribs in pieces, salt, whole black pepper and a litre of water. Let simmer for two hours.

If you can lay your hands on a couple of old laying hens ready for the pot you can make the most delicious broth from them to use for soups.

Thanks @Totto - that's great and now on my to do list. :)

K

Kat100

What I eat is porridge sometimes with almond milk and blueberries ...otherwise it's sugar free alpen ....I intend to try and make my own this year ..
Bring a veggie I love chickpeas and aubergines with a few spices ....those little mini pitta breads are good to keep in tne freezer if you feel you can manage a couple (I suggest the mini ones to reduce carbs) I have reduced carbs ...

Mexican is nice ...kidney beans with peppers and spices , you can buy low carb wraps .....I only ever manage one wrap ...

If you are reducing carbs ...I eat reduced carbs ...I do eat a very small amout of rice ....I can only tolerate small potions ...about once a week with a nice veggie curry which also freezes well ...

Lots of stews with lentils ...

Sausage quorn hot pot ....love that ...

Have a Google lots about it is just getting started ....

Soups well the list is endless , some eat one slice of bread like burgen bread for example ....makes a good open sand which as well ...

Have great fun cooking ....you need to find the right balance for you , food which is right for you , and does not leave you feeling in need of more food .... :) well you will need more food lol , but balanced throughout your day

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have Redmond multicooker and making lots of delicious and low-budget meal. You really can cook from the scratch in that. For instance, put some meat or chicken, veggies and rice together and get delicious pilaf in 50 min - 1 hour. I've got my multicooker for less than 70 pounds from official Redmond web site. I'd recommend to get it to save your time and budget as well.
Which model did you buy of the multi cooker?