Yeah I feel trapped all the time I hate having diabetes how old r u xxx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Type 1's can be free .. Its just learning to flex the rules occasionally but not frequently.

Limitations are only on a few jobs.

Why are you sort of feeling "trapped" by diabetes?

Emie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness, impolite people, spiders
I'm type 1 too. Feel like I'm in a vicious circle everyday. Deciding what to have for tea drives me mental..... I just want to eat something **** haha.

Emie x

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im 24, i was diagnosed at 20, its like a mental prison, it occupys so much of your mind staying on top of it, its hard to focus on other things, i want that free feeling that i had before i was diagnosed

Reactions: 4 people

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know exactly how you feel and the frustrations. The only advice I can give is work with it don't fight it..

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Its the guilt I can't live with. \I find it very easy to take my eye of the ball. I now have complications. Penny has finally dropped that \I have to manage it every day for the rest of my life, no breaks, no excuses.

A part of me hates myself for wrecking my body

Grkify

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insulin :(
I don't feel trapped at all, personally found when I was wrongly diagnosed type 2 that it was far more difficult. I haven't been diagnosed very long I am a year younger than you initially I found it a bit daunting but after a few days a bit of goggling and a chat with my consultant. As I keep saying to everyone is that I can do everything except join the armed forces for everything else there is just little bit more paperwork. Can even fly a commercial plane now and there is rumour driving licenses might become 10 year like everyone elses

coralkay12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't even remember what I was like before u had diabetes and I have had for 3 years now I got diagnosed when I was 17 xx

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt trapped once by something else and however much I tried the prison door it was always locked. Then someone showed me a trap door in the floor I never knew was there and I just slipped through and was free. Thing, is, the way you think leads to freedom isn't there, so you have to find another, and this forum shows you it can be done because there are so many people here managing their diabetes. Stop rattling the cage, all of you, and look. You deserve better.

Reactions: 6 people

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too was wrongly diagnosed and just the relief of knowing what is actually wrong with you and the thought of not feeling like **** constantly is great, you're right you can do most things, you've just recently been diagnosed so you're in a different place to me and you're just happy you dont feel ill all the time which i understand, but once you get over that, the constant grind and years of living with it, you'll understand what i mean, there is a freedom that you just cant have as a type 1, and the constant mental toll it takes on you is draining, i miss being able to be spontaneous. Its constantly on you're mind day in day out, its a condition you cant get a break from. Also type 2's like the one above who try to preach, and are not insulin dependant, and have only been diagnosed later on in life, would not understand the life and struggles of a type 1 diabetic.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hey dan12321 diabetes does not have to be on your mind 24/7/365.

You control your T1 diabetes and that is not a 24 hour thought process to do it.

So you test... Nowadays it's less than 30 secs.
You inject before food, even guestimating food... Well that's all of 2 mins.

So if you do this 4 times each a day... 10 minutes.

Oh yes, I am a long term, complication Free T1 even with a pump (which is more testing and adjusting doses). Then I do not have any more than 15 mins a day doing diabetes.

Why are you living your life with diabetes as if it was the buggest show stopping disease in the world?it not. Having read through a number of your postings tonight... Please tell us why you are so down and atruggling to get acceptance and living....

Please talk to someone Dan as life with diabetes really isn't all doom and gloom and you need to get the ability to live...

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I felt trapped once by something else and however much I tried the prison door it was always locked. Then someone showed me a trap door in the floor I never knew was there and I just slipped through and was free. Thing, is, the way you think leads to freedom isn't there, so you have to find another, and this forum shows you it can be done because there are so many people here managing their diabetes. Stop rattling the cage, all of you, and look. You deserve better.
Loud applause :)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It can be crushing to some when diagnosed with type 1. Whether there will be a cure in the next 20 years or so I really don't know, but I am always hopeful.
Members know about my little granddaughter and when she was diagnosed it's was a life or death moment, critical. That's when, for me, it really hit home ( at that time) just how I hated type 1 and if I could take it way, I would.
But she is doing well, happy and enjoying everything, we just get on with it and we need to be in charge, give diabetes a kick up the backside and try not to let it take over your life or consume you as a victim. There is so much more for you out there.
Take good care

RRB :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
No never felt trapped by diabetes frustrated at times yes when things don't go to plan. Then again I was lucky as diagnosed as a young child so having diabetes is normal for me.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I too was wrongly diagnosed and just the relief of knowing what is actually wrong with you and the thought of not feeling like **** constantly is great, you're right you can do most things, you've just recently been diagnosed so you're in a different place to me and you're just happy you dont feel ill all the time which i understand, but once you get over that, the constant grind and years of living with it, you'll understand what i mean, there is a freedom that you just cant have as a type 1, and the constant mental toll it takes on you is draining, i miss being able to be spontaneous. Its constantly on you're mind day in day out, its a condition you cant get a break from. Also type 2's like the one above who try to preach, and are not insulin dependant, and have only been diagnosed later on in life, would not understand the life and struggles of a type 1 diabetic.

Hi this was me 2 years ago after getting diagnosed, hit my rock bottom and felt consumed by type 1, its the grieving process of leaving your 'old' life and accepting a new life.

I decided to challenge it head on and face one of my greatest fears and one that I thought would be impossible which was to do a sky dive, after that I seemed to slide into my rhythm again and get on with life, it's still there of course bubbling away and have good and bad days but am much more accepting of things now.

How about challenging yourself to something you would deep down love to do but feel is impossible and push the limits ? ;)

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetes although it can be tedious and monotonous doesn't trap you.

As @donnellysdogs says, the mechanics of coping with injections/tests etc takes a small part of the day. Do everything you can to look after yourself because I've learnt from bitter experience coping with the diabetes part is the 'good' bit. Complications trap you.

Push the limits occasionally but do the very best you can to keep yourself well and enjoy your life. Best Wishes.

Reactions: 6 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm type 1 too. Feel like I'm in a vicious circle everyday. Deciding what to have for tea drives me mental..... I just want to eat something **** haha.

Emie x

I was going to say you can still eat ****, in moderation anyway, as you can just give insulin...........

after reading more though it seems you are Type 1 but not on insulin.........?

is this the honeymoon period? or is it Type 1.5 do you think......?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very sorry to give the impression of gloating from a comfortable Type 2 position, but I did refer to "something else" (not diabetes) which trapped me in my own prison for years. I always try to respect the various differences between us.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum Dan.
its starting to really get to me

Have you asked for any help in dealing with your problems Dan, whatever you do don't struggle alone, there's help out there but you must make your HCP's aware that a problems exists.