Constant sting when Canular fitted

Brea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone,
I'm new on this site and also a newbie with my Medtronic Paradigm Veo. I would like some advice please.
I have had my pump for 4 days now and it's fitted, but no insulin yet. That happens on Tuedsay. We were instructed to wear the pumps so we got used to them being attached to us before going "live" next week. I have done so, but am concerned about the constant sting where the infusion set is fitted. It's also filled with blood a couple of times upon immediate insertion! Surely that's not right?
Anyway, what I would like to know is that do any of you experience this sting/slight burning? I've used about 8 infusion sets already, and tried various places (abdomen and upper buttocks) but it's the same where ever I put it.
I'm guessing it's because I'm new to this and very aware of it all, and hopefully over time won't even notice it, but so far it's not a pleasant experience :(. I will of course mention this at clinic on Tuesday, but it would be lovely to hear your thoughts.
Thank you everyone.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I know there are a few pump users here, hopefully someone will be able to help you, as I am still on injections,

Take care RRB

RHNtype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Days when my blood sugars do not work for me, HOWEVER these are now rare days as I have a pump after 33+ years of diabetes.
Hi, good for you getting a pump and giving it a go! I hope you find it gives you what you are after, I would say that the first year is a lot of learning but worth it.
I sometimes have a little blood showing in the set (same kind of set as you) but not frequently.
I have once had blood staining quite far up the tubing and from what I gathered here I may have hit muscle wall or some small blood vessel that time.
Usually the stinging stops a short time after insertion for me. I find it quite useful when having put a new set on as it convinces me it is "in right" but that is not very scientific.

Worth talking through what you are using and how you are applying them on Tuesday, all best wishes.Rx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Brea, I find the cannula can sting when it goes in. Are you using the blue quick-inserter? I would try standing up and just relaxing by taking a deep breath before you push the button. I've never had it continuously sting or burn though. I've also had blood on a few occasions and I don't know whether it's related to it hurting. If I see blood though I'm probably a little more vigilant about checking my bg afterwards to ensure it went in correctly. Relax though, it'll be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I bleed in a lot of areas but not so prolific as you. I know when I hit blood my sets don't work as the insulin can't push past the blood.

This has been happening more since I've started using the plastic sets rather than the metal ones.

I haven't got an answer though...I'm leanand use 6mm sets. 8mm seemed worse. Can't get 4mm for my pump..

Sorry, not much use to you as this was only occuring rarely previously,it is happening more now but I haven't worked out an answer for it yet.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Have this problem often I do use a Tenderlink 17/110 which is a larger needle I think it's where I have built up scar tissue below my stomach skin It stings like hell so I just change area, I only use my stomach since pumping. I have had blood coming back through tubing so I Change set completely, sorry I don't know what causes that, before I went on s pump I only used my arms and legs, arms mainly though

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can't use anywhere except my bum cos of bleeding, and using the rapid d's stainless steel ones were much better for me. Although I could rarely still get the blood going up the tubes.. Which then causes high's because the insulin isn't getting through.
My bum used to be much better for non blood but since having the new insight pump which currently only has the plastic sets I'm getting more blood hits than ever before in my bum.
Posted last weekend that I put in a set and took it out within a minute. 30 mins later a friend asked what all the blood was trickling by my ankle. The set I had just momentarily put in and took out had bled and bled and the blood literally streamed from my bum to my ankle and 30 mins later was still bleeding.

Sorry it doesn't help you to know what can be done but you're not the only one..

Perhaps when you speak to DSN you could tell us what her advice is??

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to use the metal rapid d's and used to get a fair bit of stinging, I moved to the flexlink (teflon ?) and almost never get stinging when fitting to the suppliers guidelines (avoiding waste band).