How often should we be reviewed by diabetic team?

Samantha1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have posted another thread this morn asking about dawn phenomenon and it's STUPIDLY only occurred to me that I havnt been reviewed at my clinic for nearly 2 years! Is this normal? How often should we type 1s be reviewed? I'm diagnosed almost 5years but only recently in control. I live in northern ireland.

Trace D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was alway told it should be every six months but like you I haven't been seen for two years as they keep cancelling my appointments so I make sure I have regular check ups with my GP and diabetes special nurse at my Doctors Surgery. But if I was you keep phoning the clinic and bugging them to be seen that's what I do and I've informed my GP about it too.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi samantha1308
first a warm welome to the forum:)

my understanding is every 6 months but this can vary if the endocrinologist feels control is not good and can ask to see you every 3 or 4 months..
2 years is not acceptable -- get in touch with them soonest !!

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on GP and how much you insist, specially I think gp's in london do not want to see the patients at all if they could.
I was diagnosed in august with 140 something a1c and then in november I got it down to 47 or something, I was on a 3 month review when I was diagnosed but as soon as I got the a1c under control they put the review from 3 months to 1 year but I just take an appointment to see the doc anyways

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Due my health insurance insistence I have to see the doctor every 3 months (live in Germany so probably doesn't help you). Previously it had been 6 months which was fine by me ( and work). 3 months is a bit excessive to be honest, especially as I get a full blood works. That's two mornings I am late in to work every 3 months. The only benefit of this is you can't let your control standards slip.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you need you feet, eyes and teeth check at least once a year

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
2 years is unacceptable, generally if your well controlled the clinic will only want to see you annually, if there's any issues with your bg control then they will ask to see you more regular, say every 3, 6 or 9 months.

The following lists the 15 healthcare essentials that people with diabetes should expect from their HCP's, for obvious reasons some may not be applicable:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/15-healthcare-essentials/

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Last check up I had was in 1977

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It needs to be at least once a year and every 6 months if not under good control. My surgery sees me every 6 months despite good control. I always book the appointment and the blood test 2 weeks before. I have only ever been to the surgery not a hospital clinic as for a few years I was only on tablets as a 'T2' and my surgery DN used to work at the clinic so is an insulin expert.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine varies from time to time. The last couple of times I have been given 5 months between appointments.

Samantha1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all! Rang today and have got app for next Thurs! I'm excited as have not been the best at managing my diabetes until this year

Reactions: 6 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I get seen every 3 month, but 1 is in the thyroid clinic and the other in the diabetes clinic

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm lined up for 3 monthly appts which I'm happy with as I want to keep a check on my HBA1c and in my case also my cholesterol.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If you miss appointments and don't cancel them with hospitals or GP's you can be removed from their patient lists.
Normally our hospital does 6 monthly check ups and the GP DSN too!!
Don't forget your eyes and your feet should also have annual screening.... Get this arranged.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I'm reviewed every 12months but the hospital team are only at the end of the phone should I have any concerns.

Mr TEL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have posted another thread this morn asking about dawn phenomenon and it's STUPIDLY only occurred to me that I havnt been reviewed at my clinic for nearly 2 years! Is this normal? How often should we type 1s be reviewed? I'm diagnosed almost 5years but only recently in control. I live in northern ireland.

I've been diabetic for 40 years and it's always been yearly at the hospital clinic, with my GP doing a quick BP and HBa1c check six months in between. There's also the DAFNE review which is held annually. So I guess I'm lucky!

I'm concerned to hear that some insulin users are not seen by anyone for several years.

Mr TEL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you miss appointments and don't cancel them with hospitals or GP's you can be removed from their patient lists.
Normally our hospital does 6 monthly check ups and the GP DSN too!!
Don't forget your eyes and your feet should also have annual screening.... Get this arranged.
I think the issue here is about getting the appointments, not missing them.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think the issue here is about getting the appointments, not missing them.

Seen young person at clinic saying wasn't getting appts. He had missed 7 and been put back to gp care. Nit always the case I know... But in some instances people can be removed....