FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

GJ300

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How reliable are they for physical work to stay on? I'm in a job that at times may involve falling over etc or wandered could you wear it playing sport / can you take it off and put it back on again? Also can see loads of potential for future models of the Libre just weary of buying into it now and it not really living up to its intentions...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm irritated beyond measure!

I've had my email, with my window of opportunity to buy the Libre, but I'm not back in UK for several weeks. Boy, was it hard to hit send on the email to Abbott asking they give my slot to someone else. Im hoping I won't have a long wait when I'm back. I'm sure the Libre will give me such valuable information.

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my daughter had a libre on, I Am aware that they are currently being trialed in children and then possibly available on the nhs this year and new they had been approved in adults and as I have a peodiactric doctor in the family and this is her field I was lucky enough to be able to get my hands on some samples.
My daughter was only diagnosed in December and the libre taught me a massive amount about how things effect her glucose spikes and trends and the rate in which her sugars are going so helped me with snack timings and food types, how her lantus works, the amount you can learn from the libre is so valuable.
I particularly found it useful as my daughter whilst having the libre was entering honeymoon phase so her insulin requirements were dropping rather quickly so managed to get her doses adapted pretty quick. also after diagnosis she of course has been pretty traumatised by all finger pricks including through the night and insulin jabs so the libre gave her some rest bite while I had peace of mind and a wealth of knowledge, I could scan her through the night and she would be oblivious. so from my point of view, then there is still a lot of knowledge to be gained from it on how foods effect your glucose, night time readings or hypos etc.
my negatives would be that yes it can read out for the first 24 hours mine was about 4mmol out then the gapped closed to either spot on or 2mmol delay if the rate was fast on the sugar drop or rise, so if she was 5mmol and dropping still I would use my original glucose monitor incase there was a hypo I was missing or about to happen.
Another negative is it's bloody hard to get off! Had to soak my little one in an oily bath for an hour and rub oil into the sensor tape but this is also a positive as adhesive is pretty good if a toddler can keep it on. I still held it secure with a tubular bandage as was paranoid she might catch it.
I personally feel children will gain so much from a libre available on the nhs and can't wait for it as also helps with nursery/ school / night checks without being so invasive.

Reactions: 6 people

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How reliable are they for physical work to stay on? I'm in a job that at times may involve falling over etc or wandered could you wear it playing sport / can you take it off and put it back on again? Also can see loads of potential for future models of the Libre just weary of buying into it now and it not really living up to its intentions...

I've done lots of sport and bashed it loads with no problems.

Re the worry about buying it, one of the good things about the Libre (in my opinion) is the relatively low start up cost. If you buy it and don't like it, all that happens is that you don't need to buy any more sensors - it's not like you've layed out thousands that you'll never get back (which is undoubtedly still the case for most traditional CGM at the moment).

Reactions: 2 people

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm irritated beyond measure!

I've had my email, with my window of opportunity to buy the Libre, but I'm not back in UK for several weeks. Boy, was it hard to hit send on the email to Abbott asking they give my slot to someone else. Im hoping I won't have a long wait when I'm back. I'm sure the Libre will give me such valuable information.

Ah man,

I'd have used a VPN service to a UK IP address and ordered it anyway, DHL would have kept it for a month before return or you can arrange an alternate delivery address!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm away longer than a month. I did consider shipping to here but just can't imagine How it would go at Customs.

I'll just have to be patient and hope somebody else got my slot.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Yes finally ordered 2 new sensors succesfully!

My last order went wrong, so im fingerpricking for a week now and it sucks. Nice to have nothing on my arm though while in bed, in the gym or on the football field. But I think to have continuous data is a way bigger advantage compared to that

Princesnikki

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just got the email inviting me to place my order and have duly done so! Excited for it to arrive. How long does the shipping usually take?

How long was it until u got ur email I have been waiting about two minutes now and I'm desperate for one xx

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thought I'd run 2 sensors for the last 5 hours before sending my old reader back to Abbott.

Left arm: 6.7 - Right arm: 5.9 (test strip: 7.0)

IMG_5448.JPG