Some do - Some don't

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Im not sure the forum allows polls any more so we'll never know will we?

As for your comment "(a couple of minutes ago), almost a quarter ate less than 50g and 70% ate less than 130g." Perhaps thats because those members who do eat more than 75g of carbs a day dont post here regularly any more because they feel threatened by some of the more vocal lchf enthusiasts who insist that their way is best.

Talk of who eats what is completely pointless really, no one will never convince me that I am doing anything wrong as I have lost weight and maintained that weight loss for over 5 years now and have excellent bg and cholesterol levels.

As for what others do is it any of my concern? If someone wants to eat half a pound of butter for breakfast every morning like Jimmy Moore or eat a vegan diet as some successfully do to control their diabetes, its up to them, I have always said there are probably as many diabetic diets as there are diabetics.

Does it really matter how many carbs someone eats a day or whether they choose to increase the fat in their diet or not?

Surely the common ground here is that we can all agree that some form of carb reduction is a good idea, as to how much of a reduction is a personal choice and not really anyone elses business is it.

A thread was started to ask about the amount of carbs we consume and I have found it really interesting. I have friends on here, most seem to be type 2 and some low carb, but it makes no difference to me whatsoever, but a fascinating thread IMHO.

Best wishes RRB ps bring back Terry T :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I didn't become diabetic by eating carbs :eek: It would appear to be down to a combination of factors, especially regarding type 2 diabetes.

Some persons type1/2 can get diabetes through illness .

I did get MY diabetes "only via illness" and I cant get paranoid over the fats consumed either .
Have a life to live and enjoy - plus ditching carbs helps me enough .

Am tiny and have been told cant afford to lose any more weight especially in my limbs .
It is that bad my insulin will surely hit pure muscle only .
Only got my tummy to inject in as even my bum isn't allowed as well as my limbs .
All are too scrawny and fat less to safely inject into .

There ARE folk that have to do what is best for them .
I am typically one of them ...

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Does it really matter how many carbs someone eats a day or whether they choose to increase the fat in their diet or not?
Yes, because if they do, there is a very good possibility that they will regain their health and that is why many of us are here.
Sally

Reactions: 4 people

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am new to this. Usually keep it below 60g. I don't think I could go lower
I type everything I eat into my fitness pal to keep running totals
I don't feel hungry despite the sul fonny doo dahs
do feel tired though, extended carb flu?
Any hoo lost 11lbs now- my numbers are 4s and 5s so not stopping
Plan is to lose a lot more weight and try getting back to metformin alone where I began 15 years ago.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Reactions: 3 people

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
When you say A1c 107 is that 10.7?
HbA1C can be recorded in two ways - 107mmol/mol = 11.9% and this equates to an average bg level of 16.3mmol/L. It's a bit confusing isn't it? The hba1c is a measurement of the blood sugar over 3 months and is a good way of seeing what blood sugar control is like over all. But testing before and after meals with a bg monitor is the best way of checking how your body reacts to what you have eaten which enables you to choose foods that do not raise your bgs more than 2.0 mmol/L two hours after eating. Hope I haven't made it more complicated that it really is.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Julie what is 2.0mmol/L in American measures
I believe it 36.0 mg/dLif that makes sense. There is a blood sugar converter on the home page of this website, just look on the drop down under the heading living with diabetes.

Tinmis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
illness
I haven't counted Carbs and instinctively I sort of followed a low carb change to eating when diagnosed T2 last Aug. Not done me any harm, dropped around 4 stone and BG seems to be in range. Things I avoided like cheese (at first) I have allowed back into my diet. I have a question, I have just watched the dietdoctor.com link given in an early reply. By the way it shows the power and benefits of this group, I found this link very useful, and inspiring if I am honest...to go on and be a little more focussed and drink a little less red. I am one of those who associates fat with heart disease etc..

Q. Some of the advice I have taken on board in the past seems at odds with the LCHF approach but in line with the high fibre and healthy heart advice. E.g. I have been having a few tablespoons of oats for breakfast mixed with Greek yoghurt, Black Chia and Organic milled flax seeds, from costco (I think it is linseed in the UK). I thought the oats were a good thing as slow energy releasing and high fibre but only rolled not milled and no refined sugar content. On checking the. Packets the oats and flax are both low sugar but off the scale in carbs. Are there no good carbs?, i.e. A moderate amount of the right ones that give benefits such as high fibre, lower cholesterol...Or should you have some before more vigorous exercise, like a bike ride or mountain walk?
I do seem to snack a lot but have trained myself to open a tin of mackerel fillets, or seem to have a new found love of the celery stick, I think it is because it tastes salty. I am now asking myself is the fact I seem to need those snacks linked to the oats and Carb intake?