Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have a new diabetic nurse my hba1c was 37 she asked me what I did to get it so low I said low carb diet exercise and testing my blood she went ballistic and gave me a long lecture about not testing telling me it was a waste of my money and time when I said testing helped me she said I will only see you once a year lucky me .
If I was faced with that level of ignorance I would be so **** rude to them that I'd probably be expelled from the practice.

Reactions: 6 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a new diabetic nurse my hba1c was 37 she asked me what I did to get it so low I said low carb diet exercise and testing my blood she went ballistic and gave me a long lecture about not testing telling me it was a waste of my money and time when I said testing helped me she said I will only see you once a year lucky me .

Result! ;) Who wants to see a nurse who ignores the evidence when it's right in front of her eyes?

I can sort of understand them sticking to guidelines, even if it is wrong, but to be so much against someone who is 'wasting' their own money and time and doing very well on it just doesn't make any sense at all.

Reactions: 7 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

You are probably fitter than her anyway!!

Reactions: 9 people

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.

I have been diabetic since 2006. Until about 2 years ago I could get testing strips and my bg was around 5.5. Since they stopped them my BG has gone up to 7.6 at last blood test. I told them that the only way I can keep it down is to test. Reply? No the tablets you are on should stabilise your BG. Now they're talking about yet another tablet!!! I go to my doctors diabetes clinic not the hospital. Course it's all my fault.

Would it be better getting referred to the hospital? Is treatment better there?

Reactions: 4 people

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when i called my practice to ask about starting self testing again after ten years of not doing so, the receptionist told me that "we dont prescribe strips to type 2s at this practice" when i saw my gp she agreed to prescribe strips for my sd codefree....dont listen to managers or desk jockeys regarding your health, go straight to the organ grinder

Reactions: 8 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have been diabetic since 2006. Until about 2 years ago I could get testing strips and my bg was around 5.5. Since they stopped them my BG has gone up to 7.6 at last blood test. I told them that the only way I can keep it down is to test. Reply? No the tablets you are on should stabilise your BG. Now they're talking about yet another tablet!!! I go to my doctors diabetes clinic not the hospital. Course it's all my fault.

Would it be better getting referred to the hospital? Is treatment better there?

Its unlikely you would get a referral though.

The only thing to do in this situ is to buy the cheapest tester and strips yourself.. SS codefree....

Reactions: 2 people

kevaiken

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when i called my practice to ask about starting self testing again after ten years of not doing so, the receptionist told me that "we dont prescribe strips to type 2s at this practice" when i saw my gp she agreed to prescribe strips for my sd codefree....dont listen to managers or desk jockeys regarding your health, go straight to the organ grinder
Recently I found out I'm diabetic by Testing my Blood sugar levels over a course of a few weeks and got it confirmed, And I was doing good by myself testing using my wife's machine and strips, shhhhhhh, but now the nurse is refusing to issue me strips and now I feel my bad eating habits slipping back now that I'm not testing.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypos
My nurse told me when I was diagnosed with type 2 I shouldn't test my sugars as I might worry myself ?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My nurse told me when I was diagnosed with type 2 I shouldn't test my sugars as I might worry myself ?

How patronising! You'd be a lot more worried if you didn't test and your diabetes got so bad you lose your eyesight or limbs!

Reactions: 4 people

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started testing, then saw DN who told me not to bother as it will just depress me, so now I havent bothered for two months and I have no idea what my bg has been, and I fact it demotivated me, so test strips purchased again today.

Reactions: 3 people

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
I get told every time I mention testing strips to my doctor. Nurse gave me a new monitor but refused strips on prescription by doctor. Told I don't need it. Then I get told I should be keeping a better hold of my diabetes!! Can't win. So now waiting for kit and strips from amazon

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been told not to test and the dn recommended baked potatoes in my diet but would that not spike a t2?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@numan43 - As a matter of interest, have you got the pharmacy sourcing of Codefree strips sorted out now? I recall your pharmacy was having trouble getting hold of them?

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@numan43 - As a matter of interest, have you got the pharmacy sourcing of Codefree strips sorted out now? I recall your pharmacy was having trouble getting hold of them?
Nope, they got them once but didnt get them vat free so wouldnt fill ant more scripts for codefree strips......my doc has since provided me with a freestyle optium neo as it seems pharmacy can get those strips at right price

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Hi i was diagnosed monday this week , went to see the dn wednesday im type 2 asked her about self testing and told her i was useing my mates spare machine , any one would think i had comited murder. I drive hgv for a living , my bs hase not gone down below 7.4 and has spiked at 20

oldman1954

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who dont signal when they are turning left or right.
Going to see my doctor tomorrow.

desidiabulum

Hi i was diagnosed monday this week , went to see the dn wednesday im type 2 asked her about self testing and told her i was useing my mates spare machine , any one would think i had comited murder. I drive hgv for a living , my bs hase not gone down below 7.4 and has spiked at 20
Hi - as stated earlier on this thread, the former Chief Executive of the NHS uses test strips systematically to control and monitor his T2 diabetes. See the link here: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/16/diabetes-me-nhs-chief-david-nicholson. Maybe print it out and give it to your DN/doctor. Invite them to tell Sir David why he's doing it all wrong.