Holidays tuesday morning HELP!!!!!!!

lahdida

Hi there ,
Im off to Paris tuesday morning with my new boyfriend( he's great and has learnt a lot about diabetes ) for 3 nights , I was really excited about it but now Im up in a heap !! I cant stop think of everything that can go wrong hypo (cause of the heat ) DKA , my blood sugar rising due to anxiety , my meter noit working due to humidity / heat !! Oh Im a total mess , I know I shouldnt be worring about all that but I cant help it ! AND to top it all off my bunion on my left big toe has gotten very swollen and painful ! I cant stop thinking about all these things that could go wrong !Im even considering not going , I get so anxious away from home that it causes my blood sugar to rise !

Please HELP!
thank you

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi lahdida.

Quite frankly, I think you need a Holiday !! 8)

I would just try to stick to your normal routine as much as possible and enjoy yourself. All the things you mention are not insurmountable and are not really anything to get worked up about. I went to France recently and had no problems in the heat, I just made sure I took the medication when it was needed and injected at the correct times. Ate at the right times and sensibly, although a treat of Moule au Frite' caused a major rise in Bg levels for a short while. Take your meter and strips with you and don't forget any of your medication.

As for your bunion, well there isn't much time to get anything done about that now, but here is a link to the NHS Choices website which gives advice about treatment options. Take a look.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Bunion/Pag ... ppens.aspx

Have a great time. :D

Ken.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Don't worry - it is Paris not another universe. They do have diabetics there too :D

The only time my blood test meter ever gave me problems with heat was at midday on a beach in Barbados, so I put it in the shade for 10 minutes and it was fine.

Just do all the normal things and have fun, and most importantly; don't go on about your bunions to your new boyfriend! :shock:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
try not to worry and have a great time :D

issigonis59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi lahdida

Just wanted to say, have a great break, it sounds like you need it. Providing you have got your kit with you including meter and glucose sweets etc, you have all eventuallities covered. Don't forget you are in control, so go and enjoy !

Rachel :wink:

LizzieP

Hello Lahdida,

Don't worry! I was just in Greece for a week in 37 degrees heat and had no problems with my meter or insulin. It worked out fine.
For travelling, I doubled up on supplies and gave half to my husband and kept half myself just in case I lost my bag. That was quite reassuring, if that helps.
You will have a fantastic time. There's no reason that you shouldn't. You deserve it! :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You are going to Paris, not Ulan Bator :) anything that might happen, but it won't 8) ,can be solved there. and if you don't speak French there are thousands of people in Paris who speak English. Just go and have fun. Remember the pharmacy sells only medicines and if you want toothpaste or cosmetics you want the parfumerie. Pharmacy sign is a Green , usually neon,flashing cross.
Have fun, don't fall into the river, it's not very clean 8)

lahdida

Hi everybody ,
thank you all for your reassurances .Im far less worried about my trip now ! Actually Im even geting excited . I will let you know how it goes .Thanks again everyone x