Favourite tv programmes when you were young.....

Topmansmithy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
modern life
Just thinking back to when I was young and what TV programmes I used to enjoy watching -
My earliest memory is Watch with Mother - the woodentops and spotty dog, andy pandy and looby lou, bill and ben, pinky and perky. I vaguely remember Twizzle and Supercar. Then it all got exciting when Fireball XL5 and Stingray appeared but they were nothing compared to Thunderbirds. Absolutely loved that and still do! Tea time was when TV was on, none of this daytime rubbish, and its friday, its 5 to 5, its Crackerjack. So many memories.
I could go on but it would take too long- other favourites in no particular order:
Wacky Races, Stop the pigeon, Deputy Dawg, Secret Squirrel, Quick Draw McGraw, How, Blue Peter, Multi Coloured Swap shop, Grange Hill, Screen Test, Magpie,Little house on the prarie, Lost in space, The Adventures of Robin Hood (with Richard Greene), Bleep and Booster, Time Tunnel, Daktari, Animal Magic, Tales of the Riverbank, Captain Scarlett, Joe 90, Bonanza, Alias Smith and Jones, Top Cat, The Champions, The Persuaders, Captain Pugwash, Voyage to the bottom of the sea, Man from UNCLE, Dixon of dock green, Golden Shot, hectors House, it's a knockout, Mary Mungo and Midge, Morecambe and wise, On the buses, Please sir, Randall and Hopkirk, Steptoe and son, Top of the form.

What were your favourites?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
:D:D
Just thinking back to when I was young and what TV programmes I used to enjoy watching -
My earliest memory is Watch with Mother - the woodentops and spotty dog, andy pandy and looby lou, bill and ben, pinky and perky. I vaguely remember Twizzle and Supercar. Then it all got exciting when Fireball XL5 and Stingray appeared but they were nothing compared to Thunderbirds. Absolutely loved that and still do! Tea time was when TV was on, none of this daytime rubbish, and its friday, its 5 to 5, its Crackerjack. So many memories.
I could go on but it would take too long- other favourites in no particular order:
Wacky Races, Stop the pigeon, Deputy Dawg, Secret Squirrel, Quick Draw McGraw, How, Blue Peter, Multi Coloured Swap shop, Grange Hill, Screen Test, Magpie,Little house on the prarie, Lost in space, The Adventures of Robin Hood (with Richard Greene)

What were your favourites?
I did win a blue peter badge , I would appear your of my age as I remember them well , also when I stayed at my nans we would watch Z cars and take your pick :D

Topmansmithy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
modern life
:D:D
I did win a blue peter badge , I would appear your of my age as I remember them well , also when I stayed at my nans we would watch Z cars and take your pick :D
wow - i have never known anyone who won a blue peter badge - what did you win it for?
Z-cars was a bit to adult for me although my parents did watch it. take your pick was good with michael miles and the gong.
As i got older then it was the sweeney , the professionals and minder.

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Adventures of Superman.
Outer Limits
Texas Rangers
Little House ONP
Bonanza
Wagon Train
The Wild Wild West

ANY Warner Brothers cartoons with Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, Foghorn Leghorn, the Tassie Devil, and a myriad of other great characters.

GREAT THREAD BTW :)

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Adventures of Superman.
Outer Limits
Texas Rangers
Little House ONP
Bonanza
Wagon Train
The Wild Wild West

ANY Warner Brothers cartoons with Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, Foghorn Leghorn, the Tassie Devil, and a myriad of other great characters.

GREAT THREAD BTW :)

How could you forget as a young teenager, @Mike D, Star Trek?

Yes I loved the puppet series of Supercar, fireball xl5, Thunderbirds, Stingray!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yogi Bear and BooBoo, Huckleberry Hound, Snagglepuss, Pixie and Dixie, Flintstones, (loved their gadgets), Whacky Races, Magpie (the 'poor man's Blue Peter on ITV) Rag Tag and Bobtail.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Any one remember four feather falls, or hiram holliday? Not to mention muffin the mule!

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
wow - i have never known anyone who won a blue peter badge - what did you win it for?
Z-cars was a bit to adult for me although my parents did watch it. take your pick was good with michael miles and the gong.
As i got older then it was the sweeney , the professionals and minder.
Like wise I was only allowed to watch Zcars as was with my nan ;) the blue peter badge was for sending in a stamp they needed for their collection if I remember it was a 1s 6d Red Cross addition :D

Reactions: 6 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
When very young : Andy Pandy , The woodentops , Bill and Ben,Sooty and Sweep ( showing my age now )
Bit later , Bonanza , Champion the Wonder Horse , Littlest Hobo , Belle and Sebastian , Lassie .

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And no one mentioned Skippy!

What was the series set in a fort in America with loads of kids and a park ranger having adventures? I can remember the theme tune (I know, not a lot of use on a forum) but not the name of the programme.

Oh, and my daughter has a Blue Peter badge!

Last edited by a moderator:

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and Danger Man, Man In A Suitcase, Callen, The Saint, The Persuaders, The Prisoner and The Avengers were favourites to name but a few. I particularly loved Mrs Peel's Lotus Europa.

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basil Brush. Ha! ha! ha!; Boom! Boom!

My old man appeared on Magpie a few times: they had a "Magpie Boat" for a while, which was kept on the Thames. When they did a spot about it on the show, he was the guy explaining all the technical stuff. He knew Susan Stranks quite well but I wasn't then old enough to realise how exciting this was .... :)

For those of you who are too young to understand the significance of my remark above, this is Susan Stranks as she was when she presented Magpie in the late 60s:

l.jpg

Think of her as a kind of 60s Sally James. Those of you who are too young to have seen TISWAS and don't know who Sally James is, you can p*** off, you little whippersnappers :p :D

Topmansmithy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
modern life
And no one mentioned Skippy!

What was the series set in a fort in America with loads of kids and a park ranger having adventures? I can remember the theme tune (I know, not a lot of use on a forum) but not the name of the programme.

Oh, and my daughtter has a Blue Peter badge!
Skippy the bush kangaroo - there was always someone stuck down a mineshaft and skippy would tut to the little boy and then they would go off and rescue him. Fantastic.

Also loved flipper

C

chris lowe

Skippy the bush kangaroo - there was always someone stuck down a mineshaft and skippy would tut to the little boy and then they would go off and rescue him. Fantastic.

Also loved flipper
Saw a really funny programme (BBC4 I think) about Skippy. Best bit was when they showed how a fake kangaroo paw was used when Skippy had to turn on the bush radio.

C

chris lowe

I vaguely remember a cartoon version of the Goons on a Saturday afternoon. It was a lot later that I wondered what Andy Pandy Little Ted & Looby Loo were doing in that laundry basket!! Loved Tom & Jerry, Roadrunner, Ready Steady Go, Noggin the Nog, Captain Pugwash, Ivor the Engine :hilarious:When my son was little we watched Bagpuss, The Clangers, Bertha (anyone remember Bertht about the machine in a factory that made different things?) Thomas the Tank Engine. Thundercats & Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (talking mutants the new neighbours teenage sons have just slouched by. We call them Bill & Ted as in the film)