FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not that they don't work, it's that a large number of people suffer a contact dermatitis from the adhesive and therefore need a solution in order to keep using the sensors.

There are also lots of people (presumably most people) that don't suffer this, but it's a surprisingly high number that do.
Thanks ! Fingers crossed then, as have history of hyper-allergy to the 'angel skin tape' often used in medical care, but so far all good with the sensor.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm. Abbott have been particularly useless this time around on despatching my new sensors. Ordered late on Friday, they haven't yet moved to despatched. It will have taken them over a week to deliver. Grrrrr. :mad::mad:
Don't understand as well, why Abbott would not offer us to be set up on schedule for regular shipments/automated payments, for us that are willing to sign up for 'subscription' for continued usage.
Btw how frequent do they allow you to order in the UK? E,g. receiving a package today of two sensors, when can you place the next order?

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks ! Fingers crossed then, as have history of hyper-allergy to the 'angel skin tape' often used in medical care, but so far all good with the sensor.

Am crossing for you :)
I'm one of the least allergic people I know - I can eat anything/stick anything to myself etc normally and I react to the sensors horribly (have done since about sensor 5), so it's evidently not necessarily related to that stuff - hopefully you'll escape!

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Don't understand as well, why Abbott would not offer us to be set up on schedule for regular shipments/automated payments, for us that are willing to sign up for 'subscription' for continued usage.
Btw how frequent do they allow you to order in the UK? E,g. receiving a package today of two sensors, when can you place the next order?
Apparently it's something to do with the software platform they are using to run the web shop and their inability to manage supply given the demand.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am crossing for you :)
I'm one of the least allergic people I know - I can eat anything/stick anything to myself etc normally and I react to the sensors horribly (have done since about sensor 5), so it's evidently not necessarily related to that stuff - hopefully you'll escape!
Thanks misswhiplash, good to know but definitely a scary outlook if the sensor would cause allergy! :banghead:
Hope they are not cutting corners to save a few bucks by using a mediocre type of glue...

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long does it take to get delivered? Since I recieved an email saying I could get one soon ive been refreshing my email every 5 minutes.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How long does it take to get delivered? Since I recieved an email saying I could get one soon ive been refreshing my email every 5 minutes.
It depends. It seems that when they have a new batch of new users, the deliveries slow down for a week or two.

pmtbrew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
The main problem I have had with the adhesive is if I take the sensor off too quickly it takes the skin off.

I've been disappointed with Abbott and have been thinking of moving to a cGM but really want to wean myself off them.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
From when I got the confirmation email that I soon would be able to logon and order it took approximately 2 weeks before I actually could place an order. For the replenishment of sensors thereafter, it typically has taken 3 days from when ordering online till the package arrived at my doorstep.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys! Just wanted to let you all know that I managed my last sensor with only a light red mark that cleared completely within a few days. As regulars of this thread will know, I've been going mad with serious skin reactions since sensor 5 and have tried several different solutions with limited success. So, what was different this time?

I cleaned the site with hydrogen peroxide, then applied 3 coats of Cavilon letting each dry for about a minute, then put on a duoderm plaster cut into a circle slightly bigger than the sensor - I had cut a small hole in the middle of the plaster for the probe - I applied the sensor over that and put a circle of opsite over it straight away to make sure no water got behind it. When I removed it on Sunday, I peeled it off very slowly - when I saw a piece of skin starting to peel, I stopped and continued to peel the sensor off from a different direction. Once it was off, I used Zoff adhesive remover to make sure no adhesive remained on my skin and the washed the site with soap and water. Once dry, I applied bio oil and continued to apply that twice a day for the next 3days. The faint red mark the sensor made disappeared!

I've done the same this time, so fingers crossed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Wanted to ask - for driving, do we still need to do a finger prick test or can we rely on the Libre?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wanted to ask - for driving, do we still need to do a finger prick test or can we rely on the Libre?
You still need a finger prick as Libre doesn't class as a blood glucose test, which is what the guidelines state.

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys! Just wanted to let you all know that I managed my last sensor with only a light red mark that cleared completely within a few days. As regulars of this thread will know, I've been going mad with serious skin reactions since sensor 5 and have tried several different solutions with limited success. So, what was different this time?

I cleaned the site with hydrogen peroxide, then applied 3 coats of Cavilon letting each dry for about a minute, then put on a duoderm plaster cut into a circle slightly bigger than the sensor - I had cut a small hole in the middle of the plaster for the probe - I applied the sensor over that and put a circle of opsite over it straight away to make sure no water got behind it. When I removed it on Sunday, I peeled it off very slowly - when I saw a piece of skin starting to peel, I stopped and continued to peel the sensor off from a different direction. Once it was off, I used Zoff adhesive remover to make sure no adhesive remained on my skin and the washed the site with soap and water. Once dry, I applied bio oil and continued to apply that twice a day for the next 3days. The faint red mark the sensor made disappeared!

I've done the same this time, so fingers crossed!
Great news, Smidge! I'm still having luck with firing through Compeed but worried that I'll get a failed insertion sooner or later. How do you line up the applicator in the right place if you cut a hole in the duoderm? Is duoderm thinner than Compeed to minimise the chance of a failed insertion?

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do UK driving regulations require in legal terms that you physically test bg before any driving as a diabetic?
(and if so, with what frequency when actually driving? :))
I would be surprised if that is worded in any such way. But carefully asking you first just to know. :)
In legal terms, we are always as person responsible for being able to conduct the driving in a safe way. (no matter any disease or whatever). For diabetics, no device manufacturer can be held accountable for that. But we as patients may use some of their gadgets to advice on that decision we take to drive or not.
I personally do not test before driving, as have generally good sense of where I am. In any doubt I of course test and/or take added carb. And I would today certainly rely on getting my test result from the Freestyle Libre. Do not see why I would need to test with alternative meter.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Celsus - the DVLA requires you to notify them if you have diabetes. Diabetes controlled by insulin needs a special licence, renewed every 3 years. You must test before you drive and once every two hours whilst driving. Your BG must be over 5 to drive.

https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-t...tes/Driving/?gclid=CO6LkfPfh8YCFU3HtAodQRwAXg
Thank you Postitnote, that were quite strict but clear rulings as you describe them!
Do not see any reference to specific list of 'approved meters', but note all reference merely to 'a bg meter' that can store your readings from past 3 months. Also with that frequent read range, that must be hell in cost and inconvenience to most diabetics driving in UK with regards to all those additional bg sticks they need to acquire. Just thinking about driving to and from work every day adds up to like 500 bg tests more per year. OMG. You aught all to be offered a Freestyle Libre or Dexcom meter, worthwhile just for the savings in sticks. :)

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Thank you Postitnote, that were quite strict but clear rulings as you describe them!
Do not see any reference to specific list of 'approved meters', but note all reference merely to 'a bg meter' that can store your readings from past 3 months. Also with that frequent read range, that must be hell in cost and inconvenience to most diabetics driving in UK with regards to all those additional bg sticks they need to acquire. Just thinking about driving to and from work every day adds up to like 500 bg tests more per year. OMG. You aught all to be offered a Freestyle Libre or Dexcom meter, worthwhile just for the savings in sticks. :)

The NHS (National Health Service) in the UK provides BG strips free of charge to eligible people (ie citizens). The same goes for insulin, needles, lancets, meters, and insulin pumps.

If someone is having real issues with hypo awareness, the NHS will also offer CGM or islet cell transplant.