Hi, any tips about when going abroad?

Was diagnosed April so it's all new really, thanks

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

If going on a plane ensure you get a letter from your nurse/gp to explain the needles, insulin and sugary snacks in your hand luggage!

If going somewhere warm I would check there is a fridge in the building you are staying one. I don't book anywhere unless I know there is a fridge! Maybe also invest in a frio cooling wallet as these are great for warm weather or public transport and cars that may be of an insulin damaging temperature!

I would always take more supplies than you need - and spares such as battery for glucose meter. I over stress when it comes to this but I would rather be too prepared than run out of something in an unfamiliar location!

Enjoy your travels :)

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Yes definitely take more supplies than you need. I was always taught to double what i usually use. Your gp/nurse should be fine about giving you a letter but honestly no-one ever even asks me about my hand luggage (I always have my letter with me though, just in case).
Check you have good travel insurance, it'll probs be a bit more than you used to pay but worth having! Shop around for the best deal though.
Enjoy your hols!:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App