giving blood

samcogle

Sorry if this has been asked before but can Type 2's give blood [on metformin]?
I did a search on the internet but the answers are mixed :?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sam

Extracted from DUK:

The UK Blood Services Standing Advisory Committee on Care and Selection of Donors has concluded that blood donation is safe for people with diabetes who manage their condition by taking tablets and have no complications or other underlying medical conditions. To ensure that giving blood is safe, donors are required to fill in a healthcheck questionnaire and talk to a trained member of staff of NHS Blood and Transplant before giving blood. High blood pressure The new rules will also allow some people with high blood pressure to donate blood. Find out more For more information call 08457 711 711 or visit the National Blood Service website

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
A good question and one I have wondered about in the past as my wife is a blood donor, unfortunately I am on steroids and other drugs to counter the side effects of the steroid ie. high blood pressure and diabetes so I'm pretty sure my blood would be no use.

whatashock

giving blood was alwasy something that I wanted to do except I have a needle phobia.

I am just getting used to having blood taken, but am hoping that once i get used to this, I can start to give blood.

samcogle

Oooh needles have never particularly bothered me so that must be evil. It's good you are dealing with it especially as the HCP's seem to like to drain us diabetics on a regular basis :lol:

chocoholic

It was on my very first blood donoring session that I was turned down. They called a doc. over and told me to see my G.P. ASAP. I had joked they wouldn't want my blood but never imagined the subsequent anaemia and diabetes diagnosis was awaiting me. I did ask again about giving blood later but was told if I was on any medication they didn't want it.

Bella365

Hi Sam

I used to be a very regular blood donor but when I went on metformin and informed the blood service of this, they refused to let me donate. Not, apparently, because of the metformin, but in case I felt dizzy after donation. I was very surprised but I suppose in these days of rampant litigation they have to be extremely careful.

I'd be interested to know how they respond to you on this?

samcogle

oooh so I may still not get to give it then. I am waiting for a reply but not had one yet. Think I might just turn up at the next local session and see what happens!! Will let you know :)

Dalekkiller

Dislikes
Slow drivers, blood tests, having to go to hospital
Best thing is to ring them up and ask. I used to donate regularly and when I was started on metformin I rang them to ask as they had sent me a letter reminding me of a donating session. I was told that I couldn't donate because of the metformin but, as that was 4 years ago their policy might have changed. I seem to remember they wouldn't let me donate as I'm asthmatic but then they changed it and I could donate as long as my asthma was under control.

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
The rules have recently changed I believe.

I checked this week whether it was ok to donate, and they were fine with the Metformin, but had to check about a steroid jab I had in my shoulder last week (this is ok after 48 hours apparently). They've told me it's ok to donate providing I'm not taking Insulin and haven't had a recent hypo.

This was Buckinghamshire transfusion service, but it may be different elsewhere.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is a link to the Blood Transfusion Service covering England and North Wales,.

England & North Wales.
https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp
It is easier to say who CANNOT give blood rather than who can !!

SCOTLAND.
http://www.scotblood.co.uk/whoCanDonate.asp
There are over 450 rules about who can and cannot give blood.

Any other areas do your own search, in all instances ask the relevant authorities for correct, up to date advice. There are usually helpline numbers available.

inwales

I saw the nurse before i could give blood, nut all she did was go on-line and look at guidelines.

No problems, pity they don't test blood glucose for everybody who gives blood, would be interesting to see how many are pre-diabetic or are in fact diabetic without knowing.

stavenmorris

Yes it's write sentence but i suggest you could given blood to consulting your doctor for checking your fitness and you capable for donate the blood or not. It's really mandatory for all the Donner.