a quick question

dragongirl

I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the testing although I am not going to stop - but if I could only face one post meal test for a week, would that be best to be the one hour after, or the two hours after? I'm running out of fingers and I keep having to be out and about.
(One day I hope to be contributing to the forum, not just taking from it - but thanks in advance for any help.)

sandymaynard

Hi
I test two afters as that is when blood sugars are meant to be returning to normal after meal!
That is how i do it! But i am sure that other people who know more than me will come along and give you advice as well!
sandy

gbtyke

I suppose that it depends on what you want the test to show you. If you have eaten low GI then the 1 hour test may not show much but if you have eaten high GI then the 2 hour test could have missed your spike. So if you are only doing a few I would say vary them.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you know how that meal affects you then a two hour test is fine.If it is something new then sometimes it is worth doing a one hour test to see if there is a significant spike.I cannot eat anything with oats but...my two hour test was always fine.It was only when I tested after one hour that I realised just how high I was going with oat based foods.

OneDiabetic

I always test before out of habbit, no matter what im eating, and depending on time of day (i quite often eat late at night due to work and online committments) i do a test about 2 hours after, to give me a better general reading, obviously i dont follow this rule if ive eaten at 11pm, because i need my sleep! Im not a great role model, as although ive had diabetes a good few years now, i still do alot out of habit, and not out of 'what is best' i still eat the odd dodgy snack, without testing, or jabbing, im naughty, ont be like me, but live a little, try not to worry about constant testing untill your fingers are ready to drop off, thats no life for anyone, do generall, what feels natural to you, what feels right, and you wont be far wrong. I know when im low and i know when im high, but test to be safe, as regular as possible without disrupting your life to much! :wink:

dragongirl

OK thanks all of you. I'll struggle on and do both for now then. Just wondered if I was wasting time along with getting fed up!
If pre-this-particular-dinner is 7.6 (which I guess it shouldn't be) is one-hour post dinner = 8.7 a bad spike? Haven't got to 2 hrs yet. I've understood fasting scores but yet to get my head around daytime ones. Hence the questions. This was pork liver (bad choice?), leek, cauli and carrots. It's all very confusing but it's early days (she says, trying to think positively). This is type 2, 11 days after first clinic, so no meds offered yet (not overweight at all, exercise quite well).

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Dinner sounds fine. 8.7 after one hour from a start of 7.6 is not bad,let's see what it is like after 2 hours.Get a Collins Gem carb counter book and see what you can work out for meals.

OneDiabetic

haha! im type one, call 8.7 a spike? you should see my 16's!

in all seriousness though, as a type one im lead to believe that if im doing beween 4 and 9, im generally doing ok, the 9's is more of a nighttime comfort thing, but its also not dangerously high, aim to do between 4 and 7.5 but i wouldnt say its a massive spike to worry about. When i was diagnosed, they did my bloods and the meter went up to 55, i was off the scale! and as i said, i do sometimes get silly and still get a fair few above 10.

OneDiabetic

Sorry my mistake, i did actually mean to end my post with 'i don't know how that relates to a type 2' but i got to busy ramling, sorry to offend.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
dragongirl said:
OK thanks all of you. I'll struggle on and do both for now then. Just wondered if I was wasting time along with getting fed up!
If pre-this-particular-dinner is 7.6 (which I guess it shouldn't be) is one-hour post dinner = 8.7 a bad spike? Haven't got to 2 hrs yet. I've understood fasting scores but yet to get my head around daytime ones. Hence the questions. This was pork liver (bad choice?), leek, cauli and carrots. It's all very confusing but it's early days (she says, trying to think positively). This is type 2, 11 days after first clinic, so no meds offered yet (not overweight at all, exercise quite well).

Hi Dragongirl.

As a Type 2 the 2009 guideline figures for a Diabetic are as follows:
Fasting (waking) .....................between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals.....................no more than 8.5 mmol/l.

Obviously if you can keep the numbers lower so much the better.

Ken.

dragongirl

Not offended at all by any and all comments - the more I hear the more I learn. I always reckon a wider knowledge helps me understand the smaller bits better. I've already ordered the carb counter book earlier today - it should be here tomorrow cos that's what I pay Amazon Prime for!
Will report in a moment on the second test...

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
OneDiabetic said:
haha! im type one, call 8.7 a spike? you should see my 16's!

in all seriousness though, as a type one im lead to believe that if im doing beween 4 and 9, im generally doing ok, the 9's is more of a nighttime comfort thing, but its also not dangerously high, aim to do between 4 and 7.5 but i wouldnt say its a massive spike to worry about. When i was diagnosed, they did my bloods and the meter went up to 55, i was off the scale! and as i said, i do sometimes get silly and still get a fair few above 10.

Hi onediabetic.

As a T1 your guideline figures for Bg levels are as follows:

Fasting (waking)................ 4.0–7.0 mmol/litre
2 Hrs after meals................no more than 9.0 mmol/litre

Obviously if you keep them lower then so much the better.
Out of interest here, what was your last HbA1c ?

Ken.

dragongirl

Right - another hole in my finger and the result is ..... 8.0.
How does that rate? It's within Ken's guidelines but only just. Do I go run thirty times round the garden or try to eat less or what? This morning's fasting result was 6.2 but the day before it was 5.9, so it's all a bit odd at present. However, the GP's reading was 8.3 a couple of week's ago, so it seems to be responding to this effort. My chief aim is to avoid tablets for as long as possible, and they only want me back mid September, so I have this time to experiment, it seems. I am doing a brisk walk for half an hour each day - on top of anything else I do that is not sitting in front of my comp. What more can I do? And thanks to any of you taking time out from your much more interesting lives to help someone else. Much appreciated!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
OK so your two hour reading is lower that your one hour so you are on your way down...that's good!Take a note of what you ate then,when you get your carb counter work out the carb content of the meal.Readings will vary day to day don't stress out on that one too much unless they are really high!!
Exercise every day is a good idea as it builds muscle and helps burn off carbs.Don't worry,you are doing well,it takes a while but it all comes together.

OneDiabetic

Ken, My last HBa1c was 7.6....my lowest since being diagnosed was a 6.2, over the last 2 years my highest was 9.4....hm, im no good am i! :(

red

hi dragongirl,
my readings seem to be very similar to yours. I often start with a 7 or 7 point something, then eat a low carb meal. I have actually been testing every half hr because patterns have definately emerged for me.

One hour after meal, I am not at my peak, I am usually at a peak at the 2 hr point, almost without fail, and then at 2and a quarter hrs it may start to drop, still droping at 2and a half hrs after food, then by the 3hr mark it seems to drop sometimes a bit swiftly back to where it started.

I have found testing is the only thing that really helps me to start to know what is really happening for me and there is some comfort in seeing patterns to this as it is logical at least, even though re the above, Im still havent got things to 4-7. At least there is some logic to work with.

I m not sure that I have helped here but I am also desperately trying, IF it is possible, to try to get in the 4-7 without medication. It is proving hard, I have been trying for 3 months and have actuallygone for a blood test last week and and awaiting the reply which I think will be meds offered. To be honest I have not decided yet whether I will accept them. If I am honest I think I still cant really accept that I have this. There is so much to accept in this life, for EVERYONE, then this great big f...... curve ball called diabetes comes flying at you out of nowhere and hits you smack in the face and it does affect your life a lot. And I've not really got up yet off the floor yet. but good luck with it dragongirl. i think I sometimes make a joke of it becuase I just cant deal with how serious it is. But at least we have this forum, otherwise god knows how hard it would be. Thanks to all for all the help here. Red
Red

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
dragongirl said:
If pre-this-particular-dinner is 7.6 (which I guess it shouldn't be) is one-hour post dinner = 8.7 a bad spike?
Hi dragongirl, I would consider an increase of 1.1mmol/L after one hour extremely good, although like Red my levels seem to peak between 1.5 and 2 hours after a meal depending on the GI of the carbs I've eaten.
Also as I am on multi Insulin injections the time between when I inject my insulin dose and the time I eat can make a big difference to my post meal levels, especially at breakfast when I leave a 40 minute gap before I eat. That of course wont effect you though d-girl.

This morning's fasting result was 6.2 but the day before it was 5.9, so it's all a bit odd at present.
There are so many things that can affect your morning readings that I wouldnt think a .3 difference would be at all significant. If the difference was larger you may be able to pin it down to a specific thing but I seriously doubt that anyone has the same readings every morning.

You sound as though you are managing well and dealing with your condition.

Good luck

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Try alternative site testing
Your meter handbook tells you how to go about it and unless you have a rapidly changing bg it's accurate enough. I always use the inside of my forearm. I find I can do this without feeling it.