Forum support for alternative diets

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kat100

Whatever type we are , hate that word type ,
What ever diet we follow ...
We are individuals and make choices ... For us as individuals ..and our diet needs ...

However hard we try , support can be great , but arguing or pushing a diet on to someone ,well I can't condone that..... but supporting an individual is invaluable .. A great skill to use ...

Support for trying to make changes .. I have a WW biscuit now and again ... But no , not really a thread for that , but credit to those who have tried to set up threads about WW and other diets in the past ... I applaud them because I don't think it was easy for anyone ... I am talking about when I joined here now ...

I wish everyone support no matter whatever diet they follow or try ...
There are many choices of diets and diet needs ..
I don't often write about my eating habits now , because I am in a happy place with my eating and my diet ...
Who knows the future , needs and diets change ,,so does the media , and the different diets and cures that are advertised most days ... Edited to say , support for all .. Kat

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My thread is about supporting people on alternative diets not about the virtues of a LCHF diet that's for another thread.
What I have noticed is that some threads I have seen and answered about other diets have not received the same volume of replies that LCHF posts do. Example a man posted on Monday about his gluten free diet and how well he was doing on it he only got 2 replies one being mine so why did he get so few replies didn't he deserve some congratulations on his good progress
It has been said before on this forum that people are half afraid to mention they do other diets because when they have they have had some pretty negative comments and even nasty PM's that have really upset them and that is certainly not supportive

I think the number of replies could reflect the number of people that are on the diet in question. Small numbers could get fewer replies.

I am appalled at the thought that anyone gets nasty PM's for any reason but I have reason to believe that this has happened. People that send such messages are probably not getting their own way and do not have the power of self expression. I trust the MODS have ways of dealing with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I am appalled at the thought that anyone gets nasty PM's for any reason but I have reason the believe that this has happened. People that send such messages are probably not getting their own way and do not have the power of self expression. I trust the MODS have ways of dealing with that.
I'm also surprised to hear this. If anyone receives PMs of this nature, please use the REPORT button so the moderators can deal with it.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also surprised to hear this. If anyone receives PMs of this nature, please use the REPORT button so the moderators can deal with it.
It wasn't recently and the issues are now in the past but if it happens again I know which button to press.

K

Kat100

That is not new @Giverny .. I for one had to report it several times when I joined , it was nasty , very nasty , not just open comments ,,bullying infact but personal messages .. Sad but true ...
When your new you don't always think to report because you are still trying to get used to the forum and your diagnoses ..

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Now I recall just recently, there was a discussion re LCHF versus low carb diets or maybe low GI diets. Everything was moving along without incident, until somebody asked the Low "other" to substantiate his claims with references. He lost his cool,refused to post any references.This could be perieved by some as a lack of support for the "others approach" but was really due the posters inability to back up his arguments/ claims with references.

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One subject that never seems to degenerate into chaos is the use of Marijuana for BS control.. (Highly contentious enough due to other health consequences linked with its use & the legality.)

Yep, there is the odd welcome interjection from a "sceptic" with good humour. (Due to the nature of the subject matter.) :oops:o_O
Plenty of links that draw vague inconclusive conclusions along stronger evidence aligned with shared personal acounts of possible success too..!

No one ever disagrees.. :cool:

...... It just sort of fizzles out. :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an extraordinary thread.

I have always assumed that the number of responses a thread gets is directly in proportion to the number of people who feel able to comment - hopefully from personal experience.

While i feel concerned that a new poster doesn't get many responses, i am not going to comment unless i feel i can say something relevant. So i cant see myself posting on a gluten free thread.

Clearly, some diets are more discussed because there are more people benefiting from them.

There have been several excellently informative threads recently on the Newcastle Diet and Intermittent Fasting. Masses of discussion, shared information and experience - fascinating reading, both for the successes and failures.

Plus, as @AndBreathe mentioned, using a blood glucose meter is universally recommended, supported and mentioned. This leads people to find the diet that works for their own body. If any way of eating dominates the forum, it is because people learn - from their own meter readings - what works for them.

Reactions: 10 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if the VLC/Newcastle Dieters would agree they get poor support - certainly doesn't look that way to me.
Used to be considered a crank, and got some very negative comments when first mentioning ND some time ago. No longer though.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My thread is about supporting people on alternative diets not about the virtues of a LCHF diet that's for another thread.
What I have noticed is that some threads I have seen and answered about other diets have not received the same volume of replies that LCHF posts do. Example a man posted on Monday about his gluten free diet and how well he was doing on it he only got 2 replies one being mine so why did he get so few replies didn't he deserve some congratulations on his good progress
It has been said before on this forum that people are half afraid to mention they do other diets because when they have they have had some pretty negative comments and even nasty PM's that have really upset them and that is certainly not supportive
Read the post but there was nothing to say other than "that's good". I don't low carb and most are horrified when I eat bags of sweets. It is about knowing what you can and can't handle as a diet. If he can handle low GI that's excellent. Others like kat do low GI. I just do what I want but not at the start.
The reason forum members like to suggest low carb is because it is easier to make it work and the evidence seems to back it up. Why would they support something that doesn't work for them?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had nothing but support from all posters, as to my lifestyle and what I eat.
I am ketogenic. And I very, very low carb, my aim is to not raise my blood glucose levels above a certain level.
I have had questions and advice and read, experimented, tested, have asked questions and I don't believe in all my time posting that I've ever had a seriously wrong word.

I have given loads of advice on how to control your blood glucose levels and its right and a recurring theme that you have to eat to your meter!

Everybody's idea on how to be in control is slightly different, depending on your own circumstances and experiences. The recurring success stories that get posted, irrelevant of how many posters respond. Are the success of this forum!.

I detest the word 'diet'! That means it's a fad and not for long!

What I do is for the rest of my life! I have no choice in that!
Sometimes for some posters, perhaps having the choice is what is harming them!
That is why they come here!

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used "report" button a couple of times but never ever received any feedback. Bit disheartening really. The button is only any good if it is acted upon.

K

Kat100

Read the post but there was nothing to say other than "that's good". I don't low carb and most are horrified when I eat bags of sweets. It is about knowing what you can and can't handle as a diet. If he can handle low GI that's excellent. Others like kat do low GI. I just do what I want but not at the start.
The reason forum members like to suggest low carb is because it is easier to make it work and the evidence seems to back it up. Why would they support something that doesn't work for them?
Not to derail, but good to see you around @Andrew Colvin ... Who for those who don't know .. Has a great science brain and does not mind sharing knowledge ... No matter what .. Since and maths in particular ... :)

Janet.h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most of us dislike something
This has been an area of contention on the forum for a long time. I don't like to jump the gun and try to predict the future, but I thought I'd step in and just throw out a pre-emptive warning to everyone planning to take part in this debate:

I will leave this thread open for the time being but let's have a healthy (no pun intended!) debate. If things start getting too heated, the thread will be closed and that will be the end of that.

At the end of the day, the DCUK forum is here to accommodate for everyone, regardless of their past, present or future dietary choices. We provide a platform where you have the freedom to make your own choices and improve your health in the ways that work best for you.
I would just like to make a comment that non LCHF people must feel slighted at times. Not all of us can follow this diet. I, for example, do not need to lose weight by dieting as I have lost enough to now, without dieting, be a sensible weight. I cannot follow HF for other medical reasons so most posts that say we all should follow LCHF do not take into account people in this situation.
My HbA1c is a little high but not so as I would worry. I watch what I eat but without carbs I would be starving!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not to derail, but good to see you around @Andrew Colvin ... Who for those who don't know .. Has a great science brain and does not mind sharing knowledge ... No matter what .. Since and maths in particular ... :)
Hi @Kat100 I am and have been around. Posted in a few threads mostly Newcastle as I am a real supporter of vlc as it worked for me. Thanks for making my head too big for my hat :) I would say I medium carb now with weekly binges of very high carbs. Not a diet I would advocate without having lost the >30% body mass first and then checking with a meter a few times

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had my share of LCHF bashing and being accused of giving dangerous advice when I've only shared what worked for me and that is LCHF. Never mind, I can handle it and if not I report it.

Nothing apart from LCHF works as good long term for me so I can't really give much advice on other ways of eating. There is however one thing I am convinced of and that is we should try to keep BG low and even or maybe even and low,, that is normal low, in order to avoid complications. I try and usually manage to keep my BG below 7 at all times. Other may allow themselves to go higher and that's fine as long as it is their choice.

As long as it works, fine. We all want to keep BG low enough to avoid complications.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Like some others I hadn't noticed that alternative diets don't get many 'well done' replies; obviously that's not good. I think the Gluten diet example wouldn't have got a reply from me as I'm not gluten intolerant so would probably skip the thread if I saw it wasn't relevant to me (there are a lot of posts). The lack of a reply from me shouldn't be taken as not caring. I always avoid the accronym LCHF as I think it's scary to newbies and will be wrongly interpreted as most will not be having high fat but somewhere nearer the middle. If a poster says they are on one of the branded diets such as SW etc I usually suggest they look at the carb content as some are high'ish and most of us have a level of glucose intolerance. I also stress that a diabetes diet usually needs to be for life. In summary I guess I target the majority who post with the most common LC advice but do overlook the exceptions or those with rarer variants of diabetes; not ideal but I'm afraid you have to generalise sometimes.

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My 2 cents...... I'm a long time vegetarian (viewed as an alternative diet I guess) & have frequently had that choice questioned by others & that's fine with me - I'm happy to talk about it with anyone who's curious. Every now & again you'll come across someone who is less 'questioning' & more 'attacking' & that's where it can get tricky. If I'm in a fighting mood I'll bite back but for the most part I'll ignore it because it works for me & that's really all I care about. I've no interest in converting anyone & would gladly eat steak if it grew on a tree!

Having said that, I've only encountered one aggressive poster here which I didn't bother to report (the moderator fairies swooped in while I slept) & I've found nothing but support otherwise. I've actually been really impressed by the variety of diets (even within the LCHFers) & always keep in mind/try to pass on the early advice I received which is summed up frequently on US sites as YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary.

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I seem to be the only meatetarian on the forum. Hooray for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.