Allergy drugs may fight diabetes, obesity

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. It seems to point to the idea that the increase in allergies and the increase in type 2 diabetes might be linked in some indirect way.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I had wondered if the appearance of my 2 rare allergies( cold and vibrations) just before my T2 was a co-incidence.

zanc

This could be a significant shift/understanding of the causes of Type2 diabetes.

It reminds me of the discovery, by the Australian Barry Marshall, of Heliobacter pylori bacteria which causes things such as gastritis and gastric ulcers and duodenal ulcers and other peptic ulcers and can lead to stomach cancer. My uncle had gastric ulcers most of his life and died of stomach cancer. A simple dose of antibiotics may have saved his life.

Worryingly, there was strong opposition by drug companies who sold anti-ulcer drugs by the bucket full, and it took a long time before it was accepted as a cause of stomach cancer.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Good analogy!
the "establishment" was busy saying that no bacteria could live in the stomach environment. when that one was proven.
there are some medics, who have to be hit in the face with evidence before they wil even consider it.
It goes right back to Alec Gordon in Scotland, Ignaz Semmelweiss in Vienna, who showed that puerpuralfever wastransmitted by the medical profession. and John Snow in Soho, who said that water as carrying the cholera. hen there was Ronald Ross with Malaria an Walter Reed with Yellow Fever.
Oh and Galileo with the suncentred solar system and Darwin with evolution by natural selection. It goes on and on through history. the "Facts" which eventually are shown to be wrong.

Parselmouth

Do we know if these are available over the counter in the Uk? I had a bit of a look in Boots today and couldn't find anything that fitted the bill. What brand names should be looked for, and would they be ok to take without checking it out with a doctor first?

bunty

It's too easy, in my opinion, to read that report and draw the conclusion that taking the antihistamine is the solution to Type 2.

I have a life-threatening allergy syndrome which has been diagnosed and monitored for the past four years. I regularly take an antihistamine daily (but not every day) and yet two years ago i got diabetes Type 2.

I accept that for me at least, my immune system seems to be up the creek and i now have the allergy, diabetes and osteo arthritis; the allergy syndrome is related to my long-standing hay fever.

The antihistamine i take is not available over the counter and the chemist usually orders it in. I fall asleep or feel 'doped' with every other version we've tried so far!

bunty

zanc

It's interesting to note that it is advised that Zaditor (one of the allergy drugs) should not be used by diabetics.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting stuff - if anyone finds an over the counter version of this in the UK I'd love to know about it...