GERD / Gastroparesis?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If I did a home test I know I would just end up blocked up. Unless I just swallowed say 3 kernels. But then I would have to pull my poo apart!! Yuck!!

ANGEBABES

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a gastroscopy/colonoscopy ages ago when I was initially diagnosed with gastroparesis. Maybe 4 years later I was consolidating all my different clinics I attended to be at one hospital.

I did not really take a shine to the gastroenterologist I have been seeing, however he did have some good ideas, my chronic diarrhea with all the symptoms of autonomic neuropathy, he thought might be also bacterial overgrowth, a month long course of antibiotics worked a treat. My GERD symptoms were out of control, high doses of Nexium help those now. I also had a gastroscopy, no surprises with a gastroparesis diagnosis, this time I remembered to ask how they knew that and he said...considering you need to modify your diet and fast prior to the procedure, did I do that? Yes. Well my stomach was still full of food, hence demonstrating delayed emptying- gastroparesis.

During my last hospitalization, the Diabetes Professor told me of all the complications I have, gastroparesis is basically the only one that improves with tighter control.

I have never heard of a shapes test. Fascinating and makes perfect sense.
I had a nuclear medicine scan to diagnose my gastroparesis, whereby you are fed fluorescent cornflakes and therefore the images of the cereal passing through your digestive system are timed. My gastric emptying was really slow and after nearly a year of extreme nausea and vomiting, losing horrendous amount of weight, my gastroenterologist put me on Ondansetron and I haven't been sick or admitted since Feb, previously being admitted every month for a year and being threatened with dismissal at work - NHS lol the caring profession. I only take when I begin to feel nauseous but can't thank my doc enough as has changed my life for the better. Nearly killed me all that sickness, not eating for weeks on end and being diabetic type 1, certainly challenged my control. Best control of gastroparesis is eat little but often, eat over processed food, like softer pasta, nothing with skins like tomatoes, anything that takes a while to digest, think of stomach like a funnel, bob liquified food will go through quicker. Never thought I'd get out the cycle I was in, but here I am, haven't had that extreme nausea for months. Give anything suggested a try peeps. They used to use Metoclopramide which was an antiemetic and also sped up digestion process but was taken off the market recently and quite rightly so as can cause irreversible tics - as if we don't have enough wrong with us. xx

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I had a nuclear medicine scan to diagnose my gastroparesis, whereby you are fed fluorescent cornflakes and therefore the images of the cereal passing through your digestive system are timed. My gastric emptying was really slow and after nearly a year of extreme nausea and vomiting, losing horrendous amount of weight, my gastroenterologist put me on Ondansetron and I haven't been sick or admitted since Feb, previously being admitted every month for a year and being threatened with dismissal at work - NHS lol the caring profession. I only take when I begin to feel nauseous but can't thank my doc enough as has changed my life for the better. Nearly killed me all that sickness, not eating for weeks on end and being diabetic type 1, certainly challenged my control. Best control of gastroparesis is eat little but often, eat over processed food, like softer pasta, nothing with skins like tomatoes, anything that takes a while to digest, think of stomach like a funnel, bob liquified food will go through quicker. Never thought I'd get out the cycle I was in, but here I am, haven't had that extreme nausea for months. Give anything suggested a try peeps. They used to use Metoclopramide which was an antiemetic and also sped up digestion process but was taken off the market recently and quite rightly so as can cause irreversible tics - as if we don't have enough wrong with us. xx
I love ondansetron - I had nausea for months and it was the only drug that gave relief. sad to hear metoclopramide is now gone too. the cornflakes test may not show gastroparesis when the person has it, because the stomach might be behaving on that day (according to Dr Richard Bernstein, who prefers a different kind of test).

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I think observing foods that come out undigested can help with noticing SCT but the x-ray tests are better because the target objects can come out over a long period eg 7-10 days. I was x-rayed at 5 and 7 days after ingesting the radio-opaque markers and at 5 days they were all still in the colon and at 7 days some were still in the colon, all the way around to the start of it. So heaven knows how long the last one took to come out, lol. It's disturbing how slowly the colon can move in some people :(

Sorry I'm a bit late joining this thread I'd had type 1 for about 15 yrs when I started having sickness feeling and constipation, I was sent to Northwick Park hospital for tests over 5 days of popping capsulises and drinking horrible stuff and X-rays I was diagnosed with the start of gastroporeisis but it was mild aparently .
This was years ago, I was put into 40mg of Omeprazol and metoclomiride (sorry about spellings)

I've not had any side effects from these meds, but nowadays I also have to take 21 mg of Senna at night and 30ml twice daily of lactulose solution and even then I only go to the toilet properly every 3-4 days and it's either painful or just watery if I don't take the laxatives I go every 8-9 days
I know some of my meds cause constipation but I'm bloated 24/7 and that nauseous feeling hardly ever goes, also just as a thought I've been broad shoulder and stocky bloke but my belly looks like I'm due to drop a baby it's just horrible (on a bloke anyway)
I know I should go back to the doctors but it's just one problem after another and I've got to the stage where I'm really worried about being a drain on the NHS its becoming an issue for me.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strangely enough, when I went searching for bloating online, I found a celiac forum where there were posts about Nexium mimicking celiac symptoms in some people. It was one of the reasons I decided I wanted to come off it. After being off it for over a year, I was prescribed it again for gastritis, but within 3 days of taking it, the bloating was back. So, I suspect my original symptoms were a combination of SIBO, gluten intolerance and Nexium - all 3 create the same symptoms in me on their own, together they were a nightmare.

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
I really didn't know that I must have been on Omeprazol for about 25 yrs now, I'll have a read on that.