Metformin and Gliclazide MR

maestro

Hi,
I think I experienced a Metformin overdose, if so, does that mean I can never take Metformin again, or is there a time limit before reverting to Metformin?

I asked the doctor if I should have a kidney blood test but he said that I hadn’t taken sufficient Metformin.

My BS drops until about 0300hrs and from 0400hrs rises until about 0730hrs, but that differs, sometimes reaching its peak at 0730hrs. I can exercise some control by ensuring my BS is never less than 7 mmol each night immediately prior to snooze time. I often have a jacket potato or other carbohydrate.

Gliclazide 80mg is on its way out and will be replaced by Gliclazide MR. I concern is that Glic MR will drip into my system over a period of 24 hours. Will this encourage my liver, upon detecting low BS to increase its output of glucose from 0400hrs onwards? I am worried about the trough and peak. At 0300hrs my sugar is about 6mmol and at 0730hrs between 8 - 9mmol. But after eating diabetics have a peak and a trough, so I wonder if I am being overly concerned.
Grateful for a reply
David

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi David.

What exactly do you mean by 'a Metformin overdose ?'

The way your Bg levels fluctuate in the night is probably down to the Dawn Phenomenon effect, part of the normal process for everybody, Diabetic or not.

Can you tell me where the information that Gliclazide is on the way out comes from please. We have no knowledge of that.

edwin

Dislikes
Getting older
I am on Metformin and Gliclazide and as David says its normal to have a higher BG level in the morning mine is around 7 my Doc says its a normal body function getting us ready to "fight or flight"

Ed