pump

Hayley64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are peoples views on the pump please my son is 9 been diagnosed 2 months don't know much about it yet pros and cons please

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know much about it either, but two months in things will be difficult whether he's on a pump or not. If you have some decent level of control at the minute it's probably best to stick with what he's currently doing (if ain't broke don't fix it).

Hayley64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know much about it either, but two months in things will be difficult whether he's on a pump or not. If you have some decent level of control at the minute it's probably best to stick with what he's currently doing (if ain't broke don't fix it).
Yes not considering it just yet as still getting our heads around it but just thought better than having the bruises and needles all the time

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes not considering it just yet as still getting our heads around it but just thought better than having the bruises and needles all the time

Bruises, what length are the needles he uses? I was on 5mm and was getting a few bruises a week but switched to 4mm and barely get any now.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst the odd bruise is unavoidable your son should not be bruising regularly. What size needles are you using and have you perfected a good technique?

Reactions: 2 people

Hayley64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bruises, what length are the needles he uses? I was on 5mm and was getting a few bruises a week but switched to 4mm and barely get any now.
He is on 4mm he is not very big don't know if that is anything to do with it

Hayley64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst the odd bruise is unavoidable your son should not be bruising regularly. What size needles are you using and have you perfected a good technique?
To be honest we had to learn very quickly and not had that much support yes pinch the skin leave in for 10 seconds try to be careful

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest we had to learn very quickly and not had that much support yes pinch the skin leave in for 10 seconds try to be careful

Sounds like you're doing everything right, I wonder if there could be any reason he bruises a lot.

Hayley64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you're doing everything right, I wonder if there could be any reason he bruises a lot.
I bruise easy naturally but do not have diabetes wether it is just his skin but will ask at next appointment did not say anything the last time just say check for lumps

TooMuchGlucose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bruise easy naturally but do not have diabetes wether it is just his skin but will ask at next appointment did not say anything the last time just say check for lumps

Sounds like a good idea, not sure what else you can do.

janejanejane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a pump and it is amazing. Look into the nice guidelines surrounding pumps and do some research on the best hospital to manage pump care as not all are so well equipped.

However, as your son is nine, if he were to go on a pump before he is 12 he will have to go back to MDIs between the age of 12-17, which can be quite traumatic. If he's doing well enough now it's best to wait until things get hairy, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hope the bruising gets better. 4mm sounds quite long for a nine year old. I was on 3mm when I did MDI, and I'm a bit of a chubber! Not sure if that is entirely the rational behind needle length though.

Also look at a charity called input, there were amazing helpful for me when I wanted to go on a pump.

Hayley64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a pump and it is amazing. Look into the nice guidelines surrounding pumps and do some research on the best hospital to manage pump care as not all are so well equipped.

However, as your son is nine, if he were to go on a pump before he is 12 he will have to go back to MDIs between the age of 12-17, which can be quite traumatic. If he's doing well enough now it's best to wait until things get hairy, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hope the bruising gets better. 4mm sounds quite long for a nine year old. I was on 3mm when I did MDI, and I'm a bit of a chubber! Not sure if that is entirely the rational behind needle length though.

Also look at a charity called input, there were amazing helpful for me when I wanted to go on a pump.
Thankyou so much for the information it is a real help as we know no one at all who is type 1 to speak to about it

bilb_baggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on a pump for 9 years and its the best thing ive ever done but your son is young but I do know children have been put on them its a bit hard going the first couple of months but the advantages are worth it

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Hayley64 Some of the pump companies have features about pumps for children on their websites. You and your son could maybe take a look at some of those? There may also be brochures you can send off for, showing children wearing their pumps and being out and about. I remember seeing lots of pictures and features when I got my pump some years ago.

Hayley64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Hayley64 Some of the pump companies have features about pumps for children on their websites. You and your son could maybe take a look at some of those? There may also be brochures you can send off for, showing children wearing their pumps and being out and about. I remember seeing lots of pictures and features when I got my pump some years ago.
Thankyou will have a look feel like I am blinded with science at the moment x

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive just started using the pump and I already see a difference in my daily readings. However I'm still getting used to it and am finding it difficult to get used to having it on me, where to put it, etc. I'll get over it soon I hope :)

Hayley64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ive just started using the pump and I already see a difference in my daily readings. However I'm still getting used to it and am finding it difficult to get used to having it on me, where to put it, etc. I'll get over it soon I hope :)
That's good it must be strange at first but got to be best in the long run hope you continue to do well with it