Should I request an antibodies test?

LaurieH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i am a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic. I am 36 and have an a1c of 13. Blood sugar is in the 400's after meals and mid 200's fasting. I'm 5'4" and 161lbs. So, I could lose a few pounds, but I'm not obese. No one in my family has type 2 diabetes. However my mother does have thyroid issues (an autoimmune disorder). I have had gestational diabetes twice, I remember vividly during my second pregnancy that they gave me pills and it wouldn't touch my blood sugars but as soon as they gave me insulin my blood sugars went to normal. They commented that they have never seen anything like it.

What do you think? Should I ask for the antibodies test? I asked the doctor if, with those numbers so high, I might be something other than type 2. He said , no and that because I had gestational diabetes, I was a type 2.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It may be worth having that done. 161 lbs is slightly high? That's 73Kg and I'm 63Kg and 5' 5", but you are certainly not obese. You are quite young so LADA is quite possible. Just because you had GD doesn't automatically mean you are T2; that's an illogical deduction.

LaurieH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am taking metaformin and glyburide atm. @Daibell - yes 161 is a bit overweight. I could lose 20lbs. It's just my numbers are sooo high.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like my story. I was rushed straight onto insulin in pregnancy and then diagnosed Type 2 for 3 years!!! Finally had the gad antibody test but I had to fight for it :( and it came back positive so therefore my diagnosis has.changed from type 2 to type 1 x

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i am a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic. I am 36 and have an a1c of 13. Blood sugar is in the 400's after meals and mid 200's fasting. I'm 5'4" and 161lbs. So, I could lose a few pounds, but I'm not obese. No one in my family has type 2 diabetes. However my mother does have thyroid issues (an autoimmune disorder). I have had gestational diabetes twice, I remember vividly during my second pregnancy that they gave me pills and it wouldn't touch my blood sugars but as soon as they gave me insulin my blood sugars went to normal. They commented that they have never seen anything like it.

What do you think? Should I ask for the antibodies test? I asked the doctor if, with those numbers so high, I might be something other than type 2. He said , no and that because I had gestational diabetes, I was a type 2.
Push for the test Laurie. Doctors are used to what they expect to happen. It's your life. If you are LADA, you need insulin not pills.

You need to know. Get that test.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Be persistent, its your health we are talking about and its important that you are diagnosed properly .

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would definitely push for an antibodies test if previous use of insulin helped bring your sugars under control.