It's happened: Burnout

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all

Its happened. The dreaded Burnout. Life is so busy right now and I've been eating a lot of junk not making time to low carb. Blood sugars off the rails.

How do you guys get back on track when this happens?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You've made the first step by recognising it! Then you just have to resolve to make small steps. I won't eat the chocolate. I'll test. Bit by bit it will come back. Set yourself some goals that require diabetes attention but are not predominated by it, e.g. Running 5k, doing something fun, etc.

Reactions: 5 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Emmotha sorry to hear that, I think you have took a step in the right direction by admitting how you are feeling & what you have been doing

I would suggest just taking 1 day at a time and set yourself little goals, whatever you will find manageable, maybe eating less rubbish, testing/correcting more that day etc

Hope you start to feel a little better, let us know how you get on

Don't beat yourself up over it, everyone goes through bad times

Abbie x

Reactions: 8 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Set a goal!
I've signed up for a run so it's either get in shape and be healthy or embarrass myself on the day. Hopefully not the latter.

According to my little machine my 30 day average has gone down to 7.0 and my insulin sensitivity is back on the up.

I still have to go to my dn appointment tomorrow though explain my last hba1c of 63 :(

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So sorry to hear this @Emmotha, don't be afraid to ask for help from your diabetes team if matters continue. Best wishes.

Reactions: 4 people

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Emmotha, had very similar experience lately. Had to go to hospital for diabetic eye screening and bumped in to my DSN. Told her I feel I can't really be bothered at the moment and expect my next blood test to show this. She suggested going in to see her. Spent nearly an hour just talking about everything. Afterwards it did feel a little more positive and she gave me a few ideas. After that I started changing things bit by bit and it is getting better.

I think when you are first diagnosed the shock helps you make big changes quickly. Now after two years that has gone away and it seems making the changes is a lot harder.

Reactions: 9 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Big deep breath Emma - or lots of them !! It's an easy one to fall into so perhaps make a plan to go to the gym or to change something that is driving you to feel this way, if you work late leave early, or take a salad in for lunch. Start a food diary or log results. Also try and stop yourself before you eat something that you know will be hard to manage from an insulin point of view and just think how easy it will be manage the aftermath !

As said above, talk about it too, sometimes it helps you to think clearly when you talk about it.

Remember it's a temporary blip/slip and with a bit of effort you will get it right again ;)

Reactions: 7 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Emmotha, had very similar experience lately. Had to go to hospital for diabetic eye screening and bumped in to my DSN. Told her I feel I can't really be bothered at the moment and expect my next blood test to show this. She suggested going in to see her. Spent nearly an hour just talking about everything. Afterwards it did feel a little more positive and she gave me a few ideas. After that I started changing things bit by bit and it is getting better.

I think when you are first diagnosed the shock helps you make big changes quickly. Now after two years that has gone away and it seems making the changes is a lot harder.
Hi Darren,

This sums it up perfectly. I felt so motivated at first, now just a bit blergh!! I will book in with my DSN as you advised, I also have my eye screening next week.

Thanks all for the advice :)

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Sorry to hear this, I have yet to have this happen, although been bad for skipping meals lately to avoid another injection!!! Hopefully the meet up at the end of the month will give renewed envigor! Got my eye screen this afternoon

Reactions: 2 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Must be eye screening time. Had mine today and didn't need to the drops! Result.

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I had to have the drops and can only just about see now!!! All clear on the retinopathy front tho :)

Reactions: 7 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I accepted the fact that it comes from time to time, but I also know it will pass. When I have bad days I just wait as I know I will be back on track soon. Hope your rubbish time doesn't last too long! x

Reactions: 10 people

lely

When I get off track, I take time and get back to basics. Test and record all results, go back to giving myself text book care even if only for a few weeks till I see good patterns on my bg, I have terrible evening control due to this being my busiest time of day. Cooking cleaning bath times and bed times for kids and myself. And have a tendency to forget to take insulin with meals also s the kids get older and we eat later I struggle to get my bg low enough before bed. Daytimes are great though.

Cassandra13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this site but was brought here because of some serious burnout! I find that when I am having trouble with control, I don't speak up and ask for help from the people around me. I am the only one in my family with diabetes and I feel that people wont understand the burnout. I get responses like "you need to take better care of yourself" and so I just dont talk about it because I feel like the worst diabetic in the world.... Any advice on how to get over this blame/shame because I think it just keeps me in this cycle of bad control

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think everyone goes through burn out. Diabetes is 24/7/365 thing and it gets old very quickly. You'll get yourself back on track, don't feel bad about it, no one is perfect!