Diagnosed today ................... stuck HELP

becky1966

Hi, my name is Rebecca. I went to see my gp today and was told that i have type 2 diet control ... my surgery was good, gave me all the stuff i need dates for dietician and a machine to check my levels. The thing is this, I do not know what the issue is about the carbs............. I dont know what snacks i can eat, I am a grazer, I eat little but often and i just have no idea what on earth to do with this........ my body is slowly going to ground.. of all the things to have on top of all my stupid health problems (arthritis, endometriosis, hysterectomy, false teeth (im 43) gum disease, fibromyalgia) anyway i am a crook and really could do with some feedback on the simple stuff, of which i have no idea, I am so confused and very upset that this has knocked me side ways, I desperately need some imput, help please.................... thanks

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Sorry to hear your problems, Rebecca. Most of us were knocked into a panic on diagnosis, especially if w are told too much straight away..

Diabetes 2 is very slow acting, so you have plenty of time to learn to control it. The basic rules are to keep active, cut out obvious sugar & reduce carbohydrates. Increase vegetables, cheese & meat. With your tooth problems, an increase in fruit & nuts may not be possible, however I add ground almonds to a lot of mixes, including a "porridge" (not as we know it) made also with oat bran & wheat germ & milled seeds. Its much more suitable than cereals. Its even the basis for "bread." See Coconut bread (substituting ground almonds for coconut flour

I use no-added-sugar squashes for sweetening fruit & jelly.

Ask away - somebody will answer.

becky1966

Thanks for your replies.

My nurse went through some stuff with me and gave me a monitor straight away.

I am going to test every day but not sure what time. I am unsure what to eat for breadfast but i am thinking that muslie could be ok, toast, eggs, not sure about which cereals..... low carbs though..... fruit ... are there any fruits which are no no's.? Veg and salad, meats.....

Now the question is this, I have a tendency to snack so what can i have if i get the munchies (up till this week I used to have sweet teeth, I was a chocaholic and now im grounded yuk)

Any food advise would be so helpful. I am not so panicky today and reading your story john has defo explained alot to me, thank you so much

Rebecca

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Hi Rebecca

Welcome to the forum. You have certainly come to the right place for reassurance, help and support. I am still a newbie myself, having been diagnosed in May this year and fully understand like everyone else on this forum what a shock it can be when diagnosed - especially if you have other health problems as well - its a lot to cope with.

However, with the help and advice given here I have managed to get my blood sugars under control and lose over 2 stone in the process. My numbers are usually between 4.8 and 6.2, although I have occasionaly gone into the 7's - but this is rare. My goal was to keep then well under the 7 mark.

What I did learn very quickly was that I needed to change my diet (I have cut out all starchy carbs i.e potatoes, bread, pasta and rice) - I appreciate that everyone is different and my diet may not suit others - you have to find out what works for you - some people can tolerate more carbs than others. I, for one can't have cereal without my bg going skywards and I can't eat muesli or All-Bran.

And the way to do this is to test, test and test and keep a food diary of everything you eat.

The NICE guidelines are:

Fasting (waking)......between 4 - 7 mmol/l
2 hrs after meals .... no more than 8.5 mmol/l

I would suggest that you also test one hour after eating to see if you have 'spiked'. If you can get the above numbers even lower then so much the better. There are loads of threads on here regarding diet - have a read and see what you think.

If I get the munchies, I have all sorts of things - celery with cream cheese, boiled egg, ham or chicken, slice of frittata, parmesan crisps, macadamia nuts etc.

I, too have a sweet tooth and used to love chocolate - can't trust myself to buy a bar as I would eat it all in one go but I am finding other things I can eat. I have just posted a recipe for a chocolate mousse using unsweetened cocoa and mascapone cheese which is absolutely delicious and this satisfies my chocolate cravings - not that I really have cravings anymore since low-carbing - which is great - I also rarely get hungry.

I eat loads of vegetables or salads with everymeal but I have to limit myself with fruit. I can eat apples and pears without too much increase in my bg but apricots and plums send me way over the 7 mark. Most people can tolerate berries, and although I eat these they do send my bg levels up slightly higher than I would like - so I limit them.

As I said, this is what works for me but it may not work for you and the only way to do this is to test and monitor your bg levels. Your blood sugar monitor will tell you what the best 'diabetes diet' is for your body.

I have learnt all this from the people on this forum and am glad that I found it so quickly after being diagnosed - in three months I have halved my HbA1c from 12.5 to 6 and I couldn't have done that without the help I found here and I can't tell you how much better I feel.

Good luck

Rita

wallycorker

Great stuff that Rita! Wonderful advice for Rebecca!

An HbA1c improvement of 12.5% to 6% in three months is a tremendous change - I've never come across anything as dramatic as that before. My three-monthly improvements were far less sudden 8.5 > 6.8 > 5.7 > 5.5 > 5.3% over twelve months and I thought that I'd done well. Good luck with your improvement programme. Sounds like joining the "5% Club" isn't far away - might even be "4% Club" for you considering what you are doing!

Best wishes - John

Reetpetite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Crowds, traffic jams, pollution, housework
Thanks for your good wishes John - it just goes to show what you can do if you really try and work at it which I do - I just hope I can keep it up.

I'm so glad I found this forum - apart from the numerous books I have read on diabetes (all pretty scary in their own way :shock: ) the most help I have gained is from people like yourself here on the forum - and I hope Rebecca does too. Thanks

Rita

becky1966

Oh my god you guys are wonderful, Ive started to do a diary as the other forums have suggested but need to know what 'HbA1ci' means.

I have measured my levels today and yesterday. Both days i was 6.6 on waking, today i had half a bagel, 2 slices of toast and jam (low sugar jam) and tea, my levels went up to 10.8 so ive realised from this that i cannot have the bagle or the toast or jam or something so i have to eat and test to find out what i cannot tolerate... its so much to think about.

I am booked onto our GP practice diabetic clinic but not until november 25th and in january i'm going on a local health board 6 week diabetic course, 3 hours per week and one of the weeks is shopping.... this at the moment is my nightmare, last week standing in the isles crying.... all too much.

I understand a little day by day but you are all great, I feel so much better knowing that there is this forum.

My diabeties is diet controled so i hope to lose weight, i currently weigh 18st 10.... having operation soon so hope that will get rid of some of the weight lol.

Tomorrow i am having a fruit cocktail for breadfast, jacket pot for lunch with cottege cheese and stir fried veg and chicken for dinner. | will keep testing my breakfast until i know what i can and cant eat then I will move onto lunch and then dinner. I hope that this is a good plan, pls tell me if i'm not doing something right.

Thanks for your reply's guys, keep healthy, Rebecca XX

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Becky what do you mean when you say fruit cocktail? Is this one you make yourself or the tinned variety? In tinned fruit cocktail there is 14.8 carbs in the juice variety and 20.1 in the one with syrup.

wallycorker

becky1966 said:
...............jacket pot for lunch with cottege cheese .......
A relatively good choice but take care that the jacket potato isn't too big or that will take you high.
becky1966 said:
...... will keep testing my breakfast until i know what i can and cant eat ...........
Try tomatoes fried in a little olive oil with grilled lean bacon or low-fat sausage or mushrooms or baked beans or something similar. That'll do nothing much for your blood glucose levels.

becky1966

When i say fruit cocktail I mean one that i make myself, not sure how much fruit i can have in one day but if i have 5 portions of fruit or veg a day I dont think that it will bad, does anyone know if any fruit is not good?

I cant eat tomatoes, ive got diverticular disease and any seeds will aggrivate it but i do like bacon and poached or scrambled egg. The sizes i think im ok with, Jacket spud about the size of my fist?

I am constantly looking at my food intake now what is good or bad, the one im struggling with though is yoghurt.... anyone got one that is ok to have (once or twice per week)

Again thanks to you all for your help

Rebecca

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Which fruits are you using to make your fruit cocktail ? You can also get seedless tomatoes if you look for them.

Potatoes in general are very starchy carbs and raise the blood sugar whatever their size.

Potatoes, Baked , flesh and skin, 31.7gm of carbs per 100gm. Boiled and peeled 17gm per 100gm. That is a very small potato !

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
In general, check the nutrient info on the side of packaging. Look at the total carb content.
Yoghurt can vary a lot , Greek yoghurt made of cows milk are lower than ones made of sheep's milk. The cow's milk Greek yoghurt are 3 carbs while the sheep's are 8 ! Other yoghurt ,such as custard style are also 3 carbs for a small pot. Watch out for the fruit or low fat yoghurt though, they are usually higher in carbs.

becky1966

sugarless sue said:
Which fruits are you using to make your fruit cocktail ? You can also get seedless tomatoes if you look for them.

Potatoes in general are very starchy carbs and raise the blood sugar whatever their size.

Potatoes, Baked , flesh and skin, 31.7gm of carbs per 100gm. Boiled and peeled 17gm per 100gm. That is a very small potato !

thanks for this, what sort of carbs work the best?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
what sort of carbs work the best?

I suggest you get a Collins Gem carb counter book and then you can work out meals with reduced carb content.
All carbs turn to glucose in the body and put up your blood sugar levels.

Which fruits are you using in your fruit cocktail ?

becky1966

sugarless sue said:
what sort of carbs work the best?

I suggest you get a Collins Gem carb counter book and then you can work out meals with reduced carb content.
All carbs turn to glucose in the body and put up your blood sugar levels.

Which fruits are you using in your fruit cocktail ?

Today i have had pineapple, banana, nectarine, grapes, handfull of each, also had a bit of rachels lowfat vanilla yoghurt..... thanks so much for this X

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Hi, Becky,

I presume that all fruit is fresh and not any tinned ?

Pineapple......................10.1g carbs per 100g weight.
Banana.........................23.2g carbs " " "
Nectarine......................9g carbs " " "
Grapes.........................15.4g carbs " " "
No idea what Rachel's Low Fat Vanilla Yoghurt is, not in my book. Most of these are very high in carbs so I would steer clear unless you can tell me the carb content.

Depending on the portion/weight you have they can quickly mount up to a sizeable amount of carbs which will convert directly into glucose and elevate your Bg levels. Test to see what your after meal readings are. Banana's/Grapes are are NO for most Diabetics.

I love fruit but go for berries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries which are lower in carb content. I also go for creme fraiche ( low fat) as I do not eat too much fat either.

becky1966

sugarless sue said:
Hi, Becky,

I presume that all fruit is fresh and not any tinned ?

Pineapple......................10.1g carbs per 100g weight.
Banana.........................23.2g carbs " " "
Nectarine......................9g carbs " " "
Grapes.........................15.4g carbs " " "
No idea what Rachel's Low Fat Vanilla Yoghurt is, not in my book. Most of these are very high in carbs so I would steer clear unless you can tell me the carb content.

Depending on the portion/weight you have they can quickly mount up to a sizeable amount of carbs which will convert directly into glucose and elevate your Bg levels. Test to see what your after meal readings are. Banana's/Grapes are are NO for most Diabetics.

God im stupid, sorry i replied twice so ignore the 2nd one, lol. Rachels is low fat yogurt, ive got the carbs for that. The fruit was 1 nectarine, 6 grapes, 1 small banana and pineapple 2 rings in their own juice. So from what you just said i should steer clear of fruit, **** that is rough, i love fruit also aswel as sweets, now what......... not coping with this at all. Thanks though X

I love fruit but go for berries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries which are lower in carb content. I also go for creme fraiche ( low fat) as I do not eat too much fat either.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Don't give up on the fruit Becky !!!!

Just cut down the portions, weigh them till you get the hang of portion size, eat more berries, buy fresh pineapple, ( you will never go back to tinned once you have eaten fresh ! ).

Above all , test before and two hours after to see how you are tolerating the fruit.

When you reply , Becky use the ' post reply' button as typing inside a quote is very difficult to read! :D :?