Spreads v butter

notest15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.
A few words re above. I have recently discovered that butter is far better for diabetics than so called lower cholesterol spreads. I have a publication on how to reverse type 2, and one section deals with this. It has no trans fatty deposits, so therefore reduces cholesterol. Has anyone else discovered it!! Also it states yeast as a cause of increased cholesterol, trying to find a producer of multispeed bread without same, any ideas anyone?
Food for thought.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I do prefer butter on toast and when making things like scrambled eggs, but for sandwiches I do tend to use an olive oil spread.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Nooo always has been and always will be butter. My partner on the other hand can't abide butter - philistine.

Reactions: 3 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi all.
A few words re above. I have recently discovered that butter is far better for diabetics than so called lower cholesterol spreads. I have a publication on how to reverse type 2, and one section deals with this. It has no trans fatty deposits, so therefore reduces cholesterol. Has anyone else discovered it!! Also it states yeast as a cause of increased cholesterol, trying to find a producer of multispeed bread without same, any ideas anyone?
Food for thought.
Hi just put my twopennyworth in.....the finer molecules in hydrogenated fats is whats causing most of the damage.butter has larger molecules and cannot cause the same problems that manmade fats do so steer clear of manmade oils and anything with hydrogenated fats

Reactions: 2 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep most of the new evidence that is coming out seems to point to the fact that we have been given the wrong advice about fat for the last 40 years......... :banghead:

Butter and lard ;) in my fridge these days , along side other good oils and full fat yogurt etc etc..............

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of curiosity as I always get confused, which butter is good I use bertolli or I can't believe it's butter, if these are not correct which is the one I should really use. What brand if any? Anchor is too expensive and most of the butters says spreads and I end up getting confused all the time.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just out of curiosity as I always get confused, which butter is good I use bertolli or I can't believe it's butter, if these are not correct which is the one I should really use. What brand if any? Anchor is too expensive and most of the butters says spreads and I end up getting confused all the time.

Anchor & Country Life is our favourite butter, but some of the budget supermarket brands are just as good and cost a lot less. Bertolli spread is good but Aldi also do a nice olive oil spread too and again it's a lot cheaper than the big brand names.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anchor & Country Life is our favourite butter, but some of the budget supermarket brands are just as good and cost a lot less. Bertolli spread is good but Aldi also do a nice olive oil spread too and again it's a lot cheaper than the big brand names.
Thanks a lot Noblehead will try this, I just have a lidl close by so will try there own brand butter.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The very first thing we did when MrCeleriac got a better job after college, was to ditch the soya margarine in favour of butter and the sunflower oil in favour of Extra Virgin olive oil and we have been eating them for 15 years now.

Sainsbury's SO organic butter is cheaper than Anchor and President actually. I bulk buy offers on organic butter e.g. Rachel's and Calon Wen as it can be frozen.

Besides butter and olive oil, we use organic ghee, coconut oil, palm oil and avocado oil plus duck fat, goose fat and dripping.

As a kid I was given Flora eww

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Butter for me. I try to get an organic or 'grass-fed' one. It's more expensive but it lasts me well so I think it's worth it for me.

I used to use Bertolli a few years ago, having swapped to that from Flora, but then I read about margarines and spreads and immediately swapped to butter!

Reactions: 3 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Even before diagnosed diabetic we always had anchor butter and always will

lynne99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Aldi also do a BEAUTIFUL butter in a blue wrapper made in Cornwall Worth every penny

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was born during the war and well before all the low fat is better nonsense and have always eaten butter (and cream and full fat cheese and yoghurt, my only concession being slimmed milk). :D My husband however comes from a family that's always eaten marge. But he now eats mainly Bertolli With Butter. I though t this might be a better option as it was apparently two good ingredients - until I saw all the other stuff it contained as well:
(Ingredients:
Re-blended Butter (22%) (Butterfat, Buttermilk Powder, Water), Olive Oil (21%), Palm Oil, Water, Rapeseed Oil, Buttermilk, Salt (1.5%), Natural Flavouring (contains Milk), Lactic Acid, Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Vitamins (A and D), Colour (Carotenes)
)

So I'll stick with my Kerrygold plain ordinary butter instead, and have my olive oil "neat"!

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Simples :) if it spreads it is not butter.......no matter what the marketing men say,

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't touch any of them that spread, contain colour, and that are mucked about with.
Have stuck to butter for about 25 years - ever since i saw a video on the manufacturing process that goes into creating those spreads.