Need to let off (lots of) steam!!!

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry if I've posted in the wrong forum but I desperately need to rant and let off steam.

I'm dealing with a few health related issues, namely my T2 diabetes, high blood pressure and stress/depression. I'm also experiencing stress in the workplace as well. I am being "lectured" about diabetes do's and don'ts by my Boss :mad::banghead: :mad:

My Boss has told me I shouldn't be drinking any alcohol. I am only having the odd glass of red wine where previously I'd drink what I wanted pre diabetes(in moderation). I was incensed by this and told her that the odd glass of red wine probably wouldn't affect my blood sugars very much and that red wine was "better" than most other alcohol. She then proceeded to tell me that she knew a lot about diabetes. Really?? :rolleyes: She may know a bit but she doesn't have diabetes and is now acting like the "Diabetes Police".

I am the one that has diabetes and I am the one trying to manage it and with diet only.

Thanks to her, my blood pressure is probably up and my BS is likely to be higher than it should be too, although I've not tested tonight (don't want to stress myself out further)!

Any suggestions to stop her from giving me "advice" although she may not listen??!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Tell her politely that diabetes is not a work related subject and one that is down to each individual to manage.

Incidentally a glass of red wine is not detrimental to diabetes... Would be interesting though to find out her alternative suggestions-lol:)

Reactions: 7 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@donnellysdogs - yes, maybe I should ask her what she considers would be an alternative to a glass of red wine! ;)

I've cut out a lot i.e. biscuits, cakes, white bread etc etc so I think the odd glass of wine at the weekend along with a few squares of 70% + dark chocolate is allowed! :)

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If she knows so much about diabetes I think this is an opportunity to learn from her. Ask her...

What, in her opinion is the root cause of type 2 diabetes.
Does she think testing is a good idea and what levels you should aim for.
Could she explain how Hba1c works and what could you do to improve it.
What foods should be avoided to keep your blood sugar low.

Well, you get the gist. See if she really knows anything at all or is just one of those people who think fat=diabetes.

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Absolutely!!! It always astounds me of "advice" people offer....probably well meaning (I always give people benefit of doubt first).. Before SHOUTING at them to BACK OFF!!-lol!! ;)

As she is Mrs Boss.. Prob best to give benefit of the doubt first:)

Reactions: 2 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear all the problems you're having. Sometimes you just have to let people have their say and accept that their views are different to yours. Often it's a question of nodding and changing the subject. Soon after I was diagnosed other diabetics told me just take all the pills offered and eat what you like. One of the problems of diabetes is that stress affects blood sugar and it's really hard to avoid. Hope your problems calm down soon.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to mention the best bit . . . She'd brought in cake for all staff today. She approached me in the morning and I had no colleagues immediately surrounding me, and she says "There's cake upstairs" to which I replied "Well, you know I can't have it"!!!

So, I can have my cake and eat it but not a tipple. Says it all really . . .

Reactions: 2 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ask her to explain everything she knows about your diabetes. ... . in the smallest of detail ... don't let her move off the subject .. keep her on the subject to as long as she can talk about it .. and longer ..ask her lots of very stupid questions .. then when she has totally runout of things to say on your diabetes .. you can say .. Thank you, I now know as much as you do .. and more as I am the one with diabetes .. :)
Failing that .. just say 'talk to the hand because the face is not listening' and start looking for a new job :(

Reactions: 6 people

norfolkboy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiots.
I'm sure that you are not 10 years , and really don't need some knowitall lecturing you about your needs as a type 2.
Best find another job, or embarrass her in front of other colleagues..................that should shut her up,