1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

1,000,000 messages: how has the forum helped you?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Administrator, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Clivethedrive

Clivethedrive Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Without this forum and the wonderful posters...should be a mushroom....in the dark an fed ******** by nhs

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So many things...

Most importantly, I think, is that I don't feel isolated any more. The other people with diabetes that I know think I'm slightly bonkers to low carb - so it's lovely to know there are other bonkers people out there too. ;) Its especially nice when they share their meal choices - there are some really imaginative foodie people on this forum.

I love the variety - joy/tragedy, drama/everyday life, education, comedy (both intentional and unintentional). I especially like reading how other people are working towards proving their health and I love it when they reach their personal goals.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

If I hadn't found this forum 2 years ago after I was diagnosed I would probably still be eating the food recommended to me by the nurse. (most notably jacket potatoes with baked beans for lunch, but no butter), and therefore likely to be on a lot of medication, getting progressively worse, and wondering why. I wouldn't have had a glucose meter to put me on the right track. The information, advice, tips, and most of all, support, has been a life saver. I am still learning even after 2 or more years.

Friendships, too. There are some amazing people on here that I am proud to call friends.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I actually think I am really lucky that I found this website & especially the forum before my official diagnosis. Because of this I was able to find and follow the invaluable help and support offered without first being led astray by official NHS dogma.

I told my GP there and then that I would not be reading, let alone following the information sheets, so not to bother printing them out.

He won't admit it directly, but I'm sure he knows I followed the correct course, and the one he is forced to offer is the wrong one.

This forum is an amazing place, and one I am proud to contribute (usually worthlessly) to.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For me it's been finding other people who want to control their diabetes. I know quite a lot of diabetics but all of them advised me to take the pills and carry on as I had been. I wanted to try to manage my diabetes without pills if that was possible. Neither my GP or nurse thought it was. With lots of help and reading of this site I am now managing my diabetes without pills and HbA1c has gone from 97 to 50 and then the last one of 33. I'm now about to book in for my next one and hope that it will still be in the non diabetic range even if it has gone up a bit. Today my GP told me he had never heard of any diabetic with an HbA1c as low as 33. I am still learning but I hope I am also able to help others and encourage when I can.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

My new best friend. :)
    Supportive, extremely helpful and there for me when I'm down.
    Even at silly o'clock.
    Thankyou - everyone! :) :) :)

• Like Like x 15
  7. ewelina

ewelina Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I cant even imagine how lonely I would feel in my diabetic struggles, without this forum. Ive met many amazing people in here and through the meet ups. They are very special friends to me

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. andyolly

andyolly Type 2 · Active Member

This site has been a sauce of education that quite frankly I believe I should have been given by my doctors and diabetic nurse. I have after reading many posts been better informed which has carried me though decisions. Knowing others have the same issues,fears has boosted my resolve to treat my friend the way I want to

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Received excellent advice and help when I was first diagnosed ~ 4 years ago. Nowadays it keeps me motivated to manage my diabetes properly.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I have made some wonderful friends on the forum and had so much support, help and kindness which means a lot especially when things in a persons life isn't going too well.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook