1/2 unit of insulin causing hypo

anuja

I do have the half unit pen...I used it for novorapid..haven't used it for a while now.I did speak to my DSN and they advised either to decrease Levemir to half unit which might end up in few highs at times...or introduce more snacking....I think snacking helped...but she does goes to 4 ...esp during early morning....she wakes up with somewhere around 4.7.... When she is at home I make sure that I check her frequently and she does not go low...but in school unfortunately I can't do that...it took me few days just to make sure that she eats the right snack in the morning.I will try to make sure that she doesn't go in 4s atleast for a while and pray that her awareness comes back....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have a Type 1 child - yet - but there are fair odds one of my children will develop Type 1 as I am Type 1 myself. My heart goes out to you, anyway.

The most important thing I would think would be restoring hypo awareness. In a young one this should be very resilient and should come back readily. But it is such a precious thing it mustn't be endangered by running frequent hypos. It is the frequent triggering of warning signs that causes the warning signs to be lost.

For my money what matters is that the warning signs trigger reliably, ahead of actual hypo symptoms. I am less bothered about what mmol/L level this happens at. For those who drive, particularly for their job, the actual mmol/L level of the warning signs is very important, understandably. This won't yet be a factor for a child.

anuja

Ok....the banana has been working and he did not have any hypos for the past two days...thou she goes down till 4.7... Her DSN asked me to reduce her Levimir to 0.5 and maybe give her some novorapid with dinner.It is the first night...I gave her half unit lev...but no novorapid...she was 7.5 two hours post dinner....but now she's climbed to 10.5 ....hmmmm looks like it will be a long night of testing BG levels to see how it goes.....

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
Ok....the banana has been working and he did not have any hypos for the past two days...thou she goes down till 4.7... Her DSN asked me to reduce her Levimir to 0.5 and maybe give her some novorapid with dinner.It is the first night...I gave her half unit lev...but no novorapid...she was 7.5 two hours post dinner....but now she's climbed to 10.5 ....hmmmm looks like it will be a long night of testing BG levels to see how it goes.....

It might settle down today sometimes a change in insulin causes a bit of a reaction but may be different a day or 2 after. My daughter came of the long lasting due to the same reason but unfortunately when her sugars would be 8.0. 9.0 or 10.0 she can't take novorapid even a 1/2 unit would cause overdose symptoms. Which I have to say I still find very strange.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It might settle down today sometimes a change in insulin causes a bit of a reaction but may be different a day or 2 after. My daughter came of the long lasting due to the same reason but unfortunately when her sugars would be 8.0. 9.0 or 10.0 she can't take novorapid even a 1/2 unit would cause overdose symptoms. Which I have to say I still find very strange.

Hi Scoobyzoo. Did you ever get to try using a small syringe to give her quarter units or tenth units of insulin?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No the hospital didn't even suggest it. Don't think they are sure what to do with her.
I think the other suggestion was to try a pump? It could just be for a week or so to try. Pumps can dose down to 0.05 or 0.10 units very reliably.

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
I think the other suggestion was to try a pump? It could just be for a week or so to try. Pumps can dose down to 0.05 or 0.10 units very reliably.
To be honest the hospital is not that helpful they didn't even do an antibody test to confirm diagnosis. At times of the day her blood can drop to 3.3 and have symptoms of a non insulin hypo but they wouldn't be worried about that!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be honest the hospital is not that helpful they didn't even do an antibody test to confirm diagnosis. At times of the day her blood can drop to 3.3 and have symptoms of a non insulin hypo but they wouldn't be worried about that!

That's really irritating. It sounds like they have given up trying to understand her problem or help her.

You could probably get a pack of small syringes from a chemist just by presenting her insulin prescription. Or perhaps your GP would prescribe them. You could also obtain medical grade saline and dilute her insulin to reduce the concentration, this makes it easier to give very low doses with precision.

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
That's really irritating. It sounds like they have given up trying to understand her problem or help her.

You could probably get a pack of small syringes from a chemist just by presenting her insulin prescription. Or perhaps your GP would prescribe them. You could also obtain medical grade saline and dilute her insulin to reduce the concentration, this makes it easier to give very low doses with precision.
It's probably not safe for her to have insulin at the moment today she was 6.0 when she got up 9.4 before lunch and 2 hrs after lunch she was 4.1 and then 5.5 before her dinner tonight. That seems to be most days pattern sometimes the 9.0 would be after dinner and sometimes lunch but it always comes back down within a few hours.

anuja

My daughter had similar patterns....she is pretty much the same now just that it does go till 11-14 in the night after dinner but then she comes down to 5 in the morning on her own....This is honeymoon phase...enjoy till it lasts...wish it cud last forever....the only thing I observed was that her body wud never let her get into a hypo..it wud get stuck in 4 but wud never fall below that.....once we increased the dose of Levemir....she started having hypos....today she ate a muffin ( 36g carb) whn she was already 10.0 after lunch...she shot up to 16 and we had to give her novorapid after a long time....no day is ever the same :(

Scoobyzoo

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Other
My daughter had similar patterns....she is pretty much the same now just that it does go till 11-14 in the night after dinner but then she comes down to 5 in the morning on her own....This is honeymoon phase...enjoy till it lasts...wish it cud last forever....the only thing I observed was that her body wud never let her get into a hypo..it wud get stuck in 4 but wud never fall below that.....once we increased the dose of Levemir....she started having hypos....today she ate a muffin ( 36g carb) whn she was already 10.0 after lunch...she shot up to 16 and we had to give her novorapid after a long time....no day is ever the same :(

Are you able to give her novo rapid without food? For example if her blood sugar shot up to 16 and it wasn't a meal time.

anuja

Yes...like yesterday she ate a muffin(36g) in between meal times and her BG went up to 15.9, I had to gave her novorapid 1 unit...and asked her to have her dinner half and hour later...she came to 7.1 by 11:00 pm .....she has been on novorapid 2units with the meals and 7 units Levemir as soon as she was diagnosed in Feb and stayed on that for a month before she went on her honeymoon period..since then she has only be taking 1 unit Levemir...no novorapid....except for scenarios like yesterday...