stardust92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone,

Hope you all had a good Christmas! ☺

I have now had t1 diabetes for nearly a year and thought I would share some thoughts here where people may understand or relate!

The initial flurry of appointments have now died down so I have very little contact with my diabetes nurse or dietician unless I request an appointment, as far as I can tell now it's just a twice yearly check up with the consultant. People who obsessively texted to check I was still alive in the first few months now roll their eyes when I need to do my blood sugars and almost act like I'm a hypochondriac!

I've tried to avoid boring people with explaining the difference between t1 and t2 and as a consequence there are still a few people who think I've brought this on myself by eating too many cakes or that diabetes is a minor health complaint that will clear itself up!

I also now see diabetes everywhere, probably because I'm so aware of it now. In spring I would be all excited to see news of medical breakthroughs but I'm a little more sceptical now, and know most of them won't result in anything (although you never know). It's strange getting used to the thought of having diabetes for the rest of your life!

Is anybody else out there at or around their first year anniversary of t1? I'd be really interested to hear your stories and how you feel the first year has been for you.

Best wishes for the New Year,

Ruth.

Reactions: col101

Type1Wonder_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hey Ruth, I'm coming up to my second year with Type 1 and I'm on the same boat as you with the doctors, diabetic nurses and all the others! I'm also on 1-2 appointments a year,

Hope you stay well,
Take care..

Ricky

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @stardust92 always feels odd at a diaversary, can't really say congrats however well done for taking a step back to review and track your year.

I have the same with being mistaken for type 2, being told what I can't eat and drink and people not understanding how to treat it, I just politely smile and let these comments go now, am so over these people, also lost a few friends over the years since being diagnosed, i don't honestly think they get it, but almost 5 years in now and still ok and each day is a blessing.

I can live a better life now though as I have learnt so much, I use the Libre from time to time which helps hugely and on a pump too so have a lot to be thankful for.

Heres to a positive 2017, keep well ;)

Reactions: Peppergirl