Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi as you all know i was diagnosed with diabetes so repetitively new to this as of 4 weeks ago.

3-4 weeks ago i was avraging like 18mmol a reading i have made major lifestyle chances and its been 3 weeks now and im getting the following readings.

This morning i woke up to Reading of 9.1 mmol after eating an 2x Eggs in an Wholemeal Wrap no butter slight touch of light Mayo this rose to 10.8 after 2 hours after eating

By 1pm before meal Stood at 9.6mmol I had 2 Small COD Cakes and a Garlic Chicken. This went to 10.6 After 1 hour .30 minutes

Are these OK reading for someone who has only just started changing there lifestyle 3 weeks prior and used to get readings of 17mmol+

I worry about thease things i just need to know im doing a good job lol, also i am on 1 metformin tab per day but will be increasing soon to 1 morning and night, also i am taking Vitmin D Tabs.

Thanks guys appreciate any help.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Light mayo - that would be low fat - maybe high carb - a 'wrap' is most likely a thin sheet of something made with flour?
If the lunch foods were packaged - what was the carb content? I would be shown on the back or side of the packaging. normally written quite small.
Diabetes is all about being unable to deal with carbohydrates, and in the early days the main thing is to try to push the blood glucose levels down, so not eating high carb foods is pretty much the way to go.
Don't worry about the essentials such as proteins and fats, look for the foods you can eat without getting high numbers.

Reactions: LeftPeg

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Light mayo - that would be low fat - maybe high carb - a 'wrap' is most likely a thin sheet of something made with flour?
If the lunch foods were packaged - what was the carb content? I would be shown on the back or side of the packaging. normally written quite small.
Diabetes is all about being unable to deal with carbohydrates, and in the early days the main thing is to try to push the blood glucose levels down, so not eating high carb foods is pretty much the way to go.
Don't worry about the essentials such as proteins and fats, look for the foods you can eat without getting high numbers.

What im traying to get at tho is like thease numberes are surly ok for someone who is only 3 weeks into the treatment programme, as i read it could take 3 months to get your bloods right after a change in habbits

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What im traying to get at tho is like thease numberes are surly ok for someone who is only 3 weeks into the treatment programme, as i read it could take 3 months to get your bloods right after a change in habbits

I was similar to you at diagnosis, and 6 days later I'm down to a fasting blood glucose of 6.0mmol/l. I've done this by drastically reducing carbs, following advice on here.

Not saying this to show off (it isn't a race!), but you may see quicker results if you cut the carbs more dramatically.

Well done on your progress so far.

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is your treatment program?
Basically change lifestyle and take metformin, and see doctor every 3 months

I was similar to you at diagnosis, and 6 days later I'm down to a fasting blood glucose of 6.0mmol/l. I've done this by drastically reducing carbs, following advice on here.

Not saying this to show off (it isn't a race!), but you may see quicker results if you cut the carbs more dramatically.

Well done on your progress so far.

I mean im trying hard too but i have to have things like potatoes daily as i cat afford other substites and would know what to replace them with

Mitch1705

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffer major anxiety too so im scared with those readings im doing something wrong and im trying so hard

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffer major anxiety too so im scared with those readings im doing something wrong and im trying so hard

The numbers are coming down, so I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Are you losing weight?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suggest checking what the processed foods contain in the way of carbohydrate, and how much unadulterated fish or chicken would cost - low carb is not usually all that expensive if you make good choices - I buy 1kg of chicken thighs for under £2 rather than going for breast fillets, packs of frozen veges and berries are not expensive - though of course you do need to have a freezer to store them. Casserole meats rather than best cuts , using a slow cooker or pressure cooker can help too.
I am quite a way from diagnosis now, almost two years, but keeping my BG levels down with low carb foods has put me into normal readings - the last one, done last night was 5.7 mmol/l so I am pretty well convinced that I have beaten diabetes.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The rises you are reporting from the foods you are eating are fine at 1.0 and 1.7, however your starting level is too high - you want it to be under 7, preferably lower.
If the rises you get from all your meals are similar ( i.e. an increase of under about 2mmol) then I would suggest
1) keeping your diet well controlled and seeing how much your pre meal numbers come down
2) if they dont come down within a couple of weeks then try cutting carbs back further, maybe to under 50g per day,and
3) if they still dont come down after another couple of weeks then ask for a medication review

If you are getting post meal rises of more than around 2mmol then Id suggest skipping step 1 and starting at step 2

Reactions: lindijanice

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Basically change lifestyle and take metformin, and see doctor every 3 months

I mean im trying hard too but i have to have things like potatoes daily as i cat afford other substites and would know what to replace them with
Mashed cauliflower, swede, turnips or celeriac can be used as a mashed potato substitute
Chips can be made from celeriac, swede, sweet potato, carrots and parsnips ( latter 3 have too many carbs for some people but are ok for others)