searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
10 years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes I was told by my consultant I was type 2 but was put on insulin. My doctor and nurses all said I was type 1.. 12 months ago I started pushing the consultant that if I were T2 I was going to stop insulin.. she did some tests and said again T2 prescribed a gliptin and said try that and maybe add a sglt2.

After a chat with another consultant who said I would not be able to stop insulin I pushed for more tests and have now been told 100% I'm t1

Was this just a cost saving exercise for the first consultant?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If the first consultant genuinely believed that you were T2 then they could have considered that you did not need insulin at that point.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
A lot of consultants and GPs used to believe that all T1s must be initially under 30. I'd suggest ignorance/stupidity rather than a cost cutting exercise,

I'd suggest that you make sure your official diagnosis is changed to T1 so that you are eligible for more diabetic goodies (eg libre and consultant management rather than GP).

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
10 years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes I was told by my consultant I was type 2 but was put on insulin. My doctor and nurses all said I was type 1.. 12 months ago I started pushing the consultant that if I were T2 I was going to stop insulin.. she did some tests and said again T2 prescribed a gliptin and said try that and maybe add a sglt2.

After a chat with another consultant who said I would not be able to stop insulin I pushed for more tests and have now been told 100% I'm t1

That must have been so frustrating for you! I'm not big up on other forms of diabetes but there is a Type 1.5, or LADA diabetes, which by the name falls somewhere between T1 and T2. I may be totally off the mark with this, so sorry to any 1.5ers out there! They have their own forum on here, might be worth checking out?
I doubt it was a cost saving exercise, as EllieM said, i would blame ignorance. You've done the right thing going to a different consultant for a tests :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That must have been so frustrating for you! I'm not big up on other forms of diabetes but there is a Type 1.5, or LADA diabetes, which by the name falls somewhere between T1 and T2. I may be totally off the mark with this, so sorry to any 1.5ers out there! They have their own forum on here, might be worth checking out?
I doubt it was a cost saving exercise, as EllieM said, i would blame ignorance. You've done the right thing going to a different consultant for a tests :)

Hi there, LADA & type 1.5 are both type 1 and are not even recognised by some in the medical profession, I think it simply means a slower onset of type 1, ie when you are well past childhood.

Reactions: Shannon27

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, LADA & type 1.5 are both type 1 and are not even recognised by some in the medical profession, I think it simply means a slower onset of type 1, ie when you are well past childhood.
Thanks for clarifying that @KK123 :)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
for me the annoying thing is that its only 4 months ago I saw her, still insisting I was type 2 and they just wanted a new hba1c before introducing a new medication..

2 months ago when I saw my dvla consultant for the renewal of my driving license, I explained I may not need to see him again as I may be off insulin by that time.. he said that he had been looking at my record before I went in to see him and in his opinion I would never come off insulin, and if I were his patient he would categorise me as a type 1 right away.. which is when I pushed my consultant again..

in the past I didn't really care if I had insulin or not, the reason ive started caring now is 2 years ago I started working as a HGV driver, getting off insulin would mean less hassle renewing my driving license every year..

on the positive side, a T1 diagnosis will give me more help now... still not what I had hoped for though..

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
for me the annoying thing is that its only 4 months ago I saw her, still insisting I was type 2 and they just wanted a new hba1c before introducing a new medication..

2 months ago when I saw my dvla consultant for the renewal of my driving license, I explained I may not need to see him again as I may be off insulin by that time.. he said that he had been looking at my record before I went in to see him and in his opinion I would never come off insulin, and if I were his patient he would categorise me as a type 1 right away.. which is when I pushed my consultant again..

in the past I didn't really care if I had insulin or not, the reason ive started caring now is 2 years ago I started working as a HGV driver, getting off insulin would mean less hassle renewing my driving license every year..

on the positive side, a T1 diagnosis will give me more help now... still not what I had hoped for though..

Unfortunately insulin is a must - if you had been taking it without needing to then your body would have gone into shutdown mode due to a lack of sugar and energy getting where it needs to go, chiefly the brain.

Control it as well as you can and there shouldn't be much hassle. :)

Reactions: KK123

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid it's NHS ignorance. GPs often guess T2 like mine did if you are not young. Some aren't aware of the two tests for T1 and may be cost saving

Reactions: porl69

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have been told if you diagnosed in your later years you are automatically diagnosed as type 2 like me if things change in the first two years then your diagnoses is reevaluated like me i am now classed as type 1.5 lada and on insulin for a year , I have been told as I get older and my pancreas tires i will become more dependant on insulin and may well be released as type 1

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
There was always disagreement between my care team because I was under 35 and had a normal BMI the consultant said t2 the nurses always said T1.. even my gp said T1 but he had to go with the consultants decision

Still it's done now my consultant has changed my diagnosis to T1

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The diabetes nurse at my GP clinic went down the T2 route despite my high ketones - that ended 2 weeks later with an A&E trip (i was 43)

Luckily the diabetes team at the hospital ran the blood tests that showed antibodies and low c-peptide so from then on the treatment was correct.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The diabetes nurse at my GP clinic went down the T2 route despite my high ketones - that ended 2 weeks later with an A&E trip (i was 43)

Luckily the diabetes team at the hospital ran the blood tests that showed antibodies and low c-peptide so from then on the treatment was correct.
I've never had gad antibodies which my DVLA consultant is not conclusive

But my latest cpeptide was only 60 which is apparently extremely low and makes me T1..

Since diagnosis I've been offered T1 courses have an appointment in March where hopefully can discus libre and maybe insulin changes I'd like to try fiasp