10 years skinny fat Type 2

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First forum I have been on.
Is there anyone on this form that is familiar with skinny fat T2? I have never been over weight. From what I can gather, through internet research, if your not over weight with T2 then you are considered to be skinny fat. Skinny fat is when fat build up is on the inside of your body, the organs. my doctors's (General Practioners) have never mentioned to me this type of T2. Fatty liver and fatty pancreas I understand is the cause of T2. My main question with this is, is there a different approach to diet and fasting for skinny fat T2 from over weight T2?

A1C 8.6 Dec. 1 2019

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. Great place to have landed.

There will be someone along shortly with more info than me.

There are many causes and factors in T2 diagnosis and reasons behind.

What sort of lifestyle do you live with regards to foods eaten and alcohol?

With regards to you question on dieting, I would say not, your body has built or a resistance to carbs, and your blood sugar rises due to this, so the diet would be the same low carb high fat exercise. No beer/cider based beverages.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there anyone on this form that is familiar with skinny fat T2? I have never been over weight. From what I can gather, through internet research, if your not over weight with T2 then you are considered to be skinny fat. Skinny fat is when fat build up is on the inside of your body, the organs. my doctors's (General Practioners) have never mentioned to me this type of T2. Fatty liver and fatty pancreas I understand is the cause of T2. My main question with this is, is there a different approach to diet and fasting for skinny fat T2 from over weight T2?

A1C 8.6 Dec. 1 2019
How skinny are you? Height, weight, BMI? How much weight can you afford to lose? Waist measurement might indicate whether you are skinny fat as opposed to just skinny. If you are very skinny and if diet doesn't improve your A1c, you might just be LADA (late onset type 1) as opposed to T2.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

A1C 8.6 Dec. 1 2019
Another term for this is TOFI. Thin outside fat inside. As far as I am aware there is no definitive answer to the causes. Fatty liver and pancreas though are certainly factors for at least some type 2 (whether otherwise overweight or not) and resolution of this largely solves their problems. For others it seems less strongly an issue and perhaps genetics have a larger role. To maintain weight rather than lose it’s a matter of fats and proteins in sufficient amounts whilst restricting carbs.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I believe Jason Fung, The Obesity Code, may be an answer for you suggesting intermittent fasting, to lower body fat and insulin resistance. Otherwise, you may find out you're a T1, if your c-peptide is very low and you don't have insulin resistance.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

A1C 8.6 Dec. 1 2019

Hi.

I am in much the same boat. Currently just over 12 stone for 6' in height, and this is because I am a bad person and enjoyed myself too much over Xmas and New Year. I should be half a stone lighter.

General diet and exercise advice is much the same as "bulkier" T2s but remission is a lot harder in general.

I struggle with the concept of possibly being LADA after over 11 years of being diagnosed T2. Some say that a honeymoon period can last this long.

If T1 is someone who has a completely failed pancreas, then I assume that might apply to a T2 with a pancreas which has just worn out. However a lot of people define T1 as an auto-immune disease where the body destroys the Beta cells. In that case a worn out pancreas wouldn't make you T1.

Whatever, welcome.

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome! I am another type 2 skinny (although, full disclosure, diagnosis is not totally clear due to my age...).

I don't think there is a particular difference in diets - any diet which reduces visceral fat is good. Low Carb is what I have been doing and I have put my diabetes into remission. I have lost weight, but I noticed the biggest area it vanished from was my abdomen - a measure of your waist may be a useful indicator of whether your chosen diet is working for you.

On fatty liver - you may want to reduce anything with fructose (and alcohol!) as these are two sources which can only be metabolised by the liver and often that process ends up adding fat to this organ. This is one area I try to stay as low carb as possible - so berries for me!

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome! I am another type 2 skinny (although, full disclosure, diagnosis is not totally clear due to my age...).

I don't think there is a particular difference in diets - any diet which reduces visceral fat is good. Low Carb is what I have been doing and I have put my diabetes into remission. I have lost weight, but I noticed the biggest area it vanished from was my abdomen - a measure of your waist may be a useful indicator of whether your chosen diet is working for you.

On fatty liver - you may want to reduce anything with fructose (and alcohol!) as these are two sources which can only be metabolised by the liver and often that process ends up adding fat to this organ. This is one area I try to stay as low carb as possible - so berries for me!

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, for the info. trying to get my GP to refer me to a endocrinologist, she's resisting and it's frustrating. I stopped taking my meds ( metformin and Diamicron ) Dec. 6 2019 and went low carb ( around 50 to 60 g) just stared fasting about 2 weeks ago. still figuring out what food works best. My waist 32, Height is 5' 4" 130 lbs. This makes me think I may have a fatty liver and pancreas. Can you let me know if how long it took for your remission.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My waist 32
According to the NHS calculator cited above, you could usefully lose at least 0.5" off your waist. IMO this is good news, as it gives you something useful to do in the hopes of improving your numbers. Are you testing your blood glucose? To find out how low carb you need to go, testing would help. If you are the sort of person (like me) who responds to feedback, as in trying to meet Fitbit targets, regular meter readings will also be motivating.

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to the NHS calculator cited above, you could usefully lose at least 0.5" off your waist. IMO this is good news, as it gives you something useful to do in the hopes of improving your numbers. Are you testing your blood glucose? To find out how low carb you need to go, testing would help. If you are the sort of person (like me) who responds to feedback, as in trying to meet Fitbit targets, regular meter readings will also be motivating.

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the link. BMI looks good. I started recording all my food intake ( went low carb ) Dec. 8 2019 along with glucose levels, just started adding keto levels. Still trying to figure out what works best. My biggest Challenge is finding out what type of T2 I have. fatty liver and pancreas, IR or LADA. I do feel knowing what T2 type it is will help me with my choices ( hoping this site helps). If anyone is interested I can upload the spread sheet with my recordings. When I started the low carb diet I also stopped my meds. (1500 mg metformin 90 mg diamicron ). I want to see where I sit without the meds before I decide going back on them or not.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@WAGR57 no GP I know checks your C-peptide or GAD with a blood test. These are normally done by the metabolic unit in hospitals in the UK.
You may not be Type2.
This needs checking, first.
If your monitoring then continue. The more info you hv the better.
Insist on a referral.
If you can afford it monitor ketones on a monitor too.
Metformin works with the liver. More and more type1s are using it as it's great support. However it doesn't replace insulin.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LADA is a slow onset form of type 1 not 2.

any reason other than being skinny to suspect type 1 rather than type 2?

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you let me know if how long it took for your remission.

I started to note a positive trend 1 month into my diet, by my next 3 month checkup I'd got my HbA1c into the normal range. But judging by the comments I read on this forum, this can vary from person to person.

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started to note a positive trend 1 month into my diet, by my next 3 month checkup I'd got my HbA1c into the normal range. But judging by the comments I read on this forum, this can vary from person to person.

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I had my 3 month check up just over a month ago A1C 8.6. I'm feeling good about about my levels over the last 3 4 days. Hoping our medical system will do metabolic tests to rule LADA.