1505helen's daughter Emma here - update

EmmRoseTat

Some of you may have noticed my Mom, 1505helen, posting on here in her frantic state the past couple of days. For me these past couple of days are so surreal. Diabetes is something that I have heard about on tv several times and what not but its not something you ever think would happen to yourself, and personally I don't know anyone who has it either.

Anyway safe to say I am feeling so much better than yesterday! After having blood tests at my local minor injuries unit and finding out I have high BG levels and high ketone levels I was pretty much sent to Good Hope hospital in Sutton Coldfield. Turned out I had to end up there for the night but at least everything is sorted now.
Would so recommend going there for anything related to diabetes they were so helpful, kept me calm which helped keep my Mom calm, so reassuring and gave me clear information and didn't overload it, I felt in control again but not stressed about it

Gave an injection to myself for the first time about an hour ago, not so scary! Looking forward to hearing from anyone about their first days of having diabetes!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done Emma. Read your mum's post. So glad that you are feeling better.

My diagnosis was almost 30 years ago when we used to end up in hospital for a stay on a diabetic ward. I was in Tues morn and got out Friday afternoon.

The only thing that bothered me was getting down to the carpark, because my hubby would bring my dogs to see me. The morning before I got discharged.. They tried to make me experience a hypo... I had to walk up and down 4 flights of stairs until my levels dropped.. It didnt work. I had my first hypo at home.

The first 6 weeks for me were the hardest. Tbh, I cried myself to sleep everynight. So if you feel sad at any point this is quite normal. Things were so different 30 years ago.... Things have improved hugely in some ways...

This forum is the greatest help... Wish it had been here when I was diagnosed.

CambridgeLass

Hi Emma and welcome. It's all so new and I'm sure you've found there is SO much information out there. My daughter was diagnosed in December so we're 4 months in now. We do everything we did pre diagnosis. Still learning! Things have definitely changed a lot in the last few years and there is a lot of research and new technologies being tested which us very hopeful. Numbers may go up and down but you know what - every day is a new day. I'd take the first week easy, read a little, educate your friends & ask questions as nothing is too silly my dear - are you still at school or uni? Tracy x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EmmRoseTat said:
Some of you may have noticed my Mom, 1505helen, posting on here in her frantic state the past couple of days. For me these past couple of days are so surreal. Diabetes is something that I have heard about on tv several times and what not but its not something you ever think would happen to yourself, and personally I don't know anyone who has it either.

Anyway safe to say I am feeling so much better than yesterday! After having blood tests at my local minor injuries unit and finding out I have high BG levels and high ketone levels I was pretty much sent to Good Hope hospital in Sutton Coldfield. Turned out I had to end up there for the night but at least everything is sorted now.
Would so recommend going there for anything related to diabetes they were so helpful, kept me calm which helped keep my Mom calm, so reassuring and gave me clear information and didn't overload it, I felt in control again but not stressed about it

Gave an injection to myself for the first time about an hour ago, not so scary! Looking forward to hearing from anyone about their first days of having diabetes!

Hi Emma!

I was speaking to your mum over the last few days, I did warn her you would probably have to stay in overnight. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Give it a week and you'll notice big changes. I didn't even realise I had been feeling unwell until I started to feel better haha

I've been diagnosed 8 weeks now. Had my first clinic appointment today and been told I'm doing fab and to just keep it up which is a big boost! My first few days of diagnosis are a bit of a haze now as I also had tonsillitis but I do remember a barrage of information. It took me a few weeks to find this site.

Feel free to ask any questions or voice any fears. We're all just muddling through this together!

1505helen

So proud of her today she's taken it all in and seems to be testing and injecting like she's been doing it for ages. Had a lovely chat this evening I've got my lovely lady back there's a sparkle in her eyes I haven't seen for ages and she held a proper conversation for hours!

We will get through this together I'm confident of that now because of your maturity and strength.

Love you lots darling daughter.
Mum xxxxxxx

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
1505helen said:
So proud of her today she's taken it all in and seems to be testing and injecting like she's been doing it for ages. Had a lovely chat this evening I've got my lovely lady back there's a sparkle in her eyes I haven't seen for ages and she held a proper conversation for hours!

We will get through this together I'm confident of that now because of your maturity and strength.

Love you lots darling daughter.
Mum xxxxxxx

Your lucky to have a mum taking it all in this this Emma! I had to banish my mother and not let her come over until she promised to not cry any more. When you're trying up settle its normal to be upset but over emotional people don't help the situation haha

So what insulin are you on? Is it a mix like novomix? Or have to got a slow acting and quick acting? That is important as when people are trying to help you out with things there are some slightly different principles which apply!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So nice to hear your supporting each other confidently and positively. Keep up the good work, it is worth the effort. :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

EmmRoseTat

Iv kept positive, so far at least, but there is nothing else to do but get on with it! For now I'm just happy and relieved to finally feel well again. It's only now I feel good again I realise how bad I have been feeling! :shock:

At college at the moment coming to my final project, beginning of stress! But I'm working towards uni in September so I'm glad something like this has happened to me now while I'm still at home rather than when I'm there and on my own.

The support I'm getting from my family and friends is so amazing! No one too upset, least not infront of me. But I feel so happy right now cause I'm not feeling **** any more. :grin:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
EmmRoseTat said:
Iv kept positive, so far at least, but there is nothing else to do but get on with it! For now I'm just happy and relieved to finally feel well again. It's only now I feel good again I realise how bad I have been feeling! :shock:

At college at the moment coming to my final project, beginning of stress! But I'm working towards uni in September so I'm glad something like this has happened to me now while I'm still at home rather than when I'm there and on my own.

The support I'm getting from my family and friends is so amazing! No one too upset, least not infront of me. But I feel so happy right now cause I'm not feeling **** any more. :grin:

Absolutely better to have found out now than in a years time when you're living away from home. Got the summer to really get to grips with it and settle before moving out. I just moved back to my home town after 5 loooong years of uni and I'm glad to be back here where I can get help!

Where are you hoping to go for uni? Is it in Another town? You will have to look into the medical care etc associated with moving. I know my uni had a GP and a dentist on campus so I was registered there which made things easy on the rare occasion I had to go back then

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great to hear you're ok Emma, I posted in the thread started by your mum. I was a year older than you when diagnosed (29 now), so have had it for nearly 10 years now. I was in my first year of uni. When they told me I couldn't drink alcohol, I remember going home from the student union - sober - and crying because I thought my life was over if I couldn't drink! Fortunately, I figured that I could!

This forum is a brilliant source of information, listening to experienced diabetics has definitely improved my control. Don't be afraid to ask a question - no question is too silly!