1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

16:8 fast

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by Jibba Jabba, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jibba Jabba

Jibba Jabba · Well-Known Member

Hi all

I am T2 diabetic, diet controlled. When I was first diagnosed I changed my eating habits to a low carb diet. Cut out bread, pasta, rice and potatoes as well as all the sugary foods. I did really, really well. I lost around 4 stone in the first year and kept it off. Unfortunately in the last couple of years my weight has crept up. I am still low carbing but maybe my portion control has increased? I am thinking of staring the 16:8 fasting diet and wanted to ask if it's ok to drink coffee with cream in place of my breakfast? I am then planning on having a low carb lunch which is normally frankfurters or ham or tuna with salad and along the same lines for dinner. I don't actually eat dinner as such, just a handful of almonds and a couple of slices of cheese but am eating breakfast (my own version of porridge - flat tablespoon of oats, flat tablespoon of flax seeds, two tablespoons each of desiccated coconut and ground almonds). Any advice would be truly welcome. Sorry for the long post but I am struggling weight-wise and it's starting to get me down :(

2. mariavontrapp

mariavontrapp Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Jason Fung gives good advice on fasting. I'm still reading up on it so not sure about the cream. Isn't the idea of fasting that your body has to look for other sources of fuel than what you eat - ie to burn body fat?

3. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Part of the idea of fasting is that insulin level drops very low hence letting our body burn fat, a little cream in one cup of coffee is unlikely to stop this. If having cream in a morning coffee is what enables someone to fast for most of the rest of the day, so be it.

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I always have creamy coffee when fasting. seems to work for me.. cuts out hunger pangs so lets me fast for longer periods. I usually have mine at noonish

5. Jibba Jabba

Jibba Jabba · Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your replies.
    Bulkbiker, I was thinking of having coffee with cream around my normal breakfast time instead of porridge (effectively skipping breakfast) and then eating lunch and dinner within the 8 hour time frame. Does this sound sensible?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook