19 month old and type 1

gemzy91

My son whos 19 months was diagnosed a week ago today with type 1 diabeties. I spent 5 horrible days in hospital with him until he was better. Iv spent to weekend buying new foods and snacks for him. ( so much more exspensive then a normal shop). His still at the stage of binge eating though doctors said this will go away after a couple of weeks but I feel like his going to be like this forever. I dont understand why this happened to my baby he hates the insulin but I have to give it to him I just want to no is there anything I can do to make it that little bit easier? I have a 3 year old to aswell thats now having to adjust to the change in everything. X

VickiT11979

Oh, you poor, poor thing! Hope you've got someone to give you hugs. I'm a diabetic myself, not a Mum of a diabetic, but I do have 2 boys & can maybe half imagine what it would be like for you.
It must tear your heart out having to inject him all the time, I think the only thing you can do is think that "no matter how bad this is, the only alternative is far, far worse". You know you're doing it to save him, and I hope he will get used to it in time. The injection needles are very fine, the other thing is, there's a local anaesthetic cream called EMLA you can get on prescription - it's usually just used before taking blood from children, but I wonder if your GP might prescribe it? You put it on about an hour before the needle & cover it with something to keep it in place & it numbs the skin. Don't know if it's expensive or not.

You mention buying special expensive food for your son - what have you bought? The general NHS advice for type 1s is to eat healthily, avoid tons of sugar, but otherwise eat a pretty normal diet. A lot of us find that we need to adjust our diets further to avoid swings in blood glucose, but you learn that with lots of time, and to start with I'd just be trying to eat stuff like cereals low in sugar eg weetabix, or toast for breakfast, sandwiches & crisps would be OK for lunch & a normal tea. Chocolate is actually not too bad for glucose levels as the fat in it means the sugar is absorbed quite slowly, as long as he doesn't eat a whole bar of it.
The key, I think, is not to ban anything, but to eat in moderation.
Hope this helps x

gemzy91

Iv got alot of family support and only being young myself I am generally finding it hard. I dont understand how he got it as none of my family have it nor does the fathers side. Guess its just one of those things. With the food basically im needing to stabilize his sugar levels as the doctor said there going to be all over the place for the next couple of weeks so they said to go buy diabetic food. Just so I can keep his sugar levels stable without changing his diet whilst his going through his binge phase. So once thats over and his stable would I just be able to use normal food like jams or biscuits or would I still need to buy the diabetic stuff just dont want his sugars flying high nor do I want him to go without as his brother can still have everything he cant. X

VickiT11979

I think it's more about the amount of the sweet stuff he'll be eating. I prefer peanut butter to jam, but if I do use it I buy reduced sugar ones from the supermarket & just put on a little bit spread thinly. Proper "puddings" like treacle sponge & custard are out really, they're just way too high in sugar. I don't really eat "afters" or desserts, my kids ask for biscuits or sugary yoghurts after meals & 1 of each would probably be reasonably OK for a diabetic, especially if he has it after a main meal (again it slows down the absorption of the sugar).
What's usual food for your 2 to eat?