1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 1hour after eating

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Altaf_7, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Altaf_7

Altaf_7 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys ,
    So a few days back I tested my blood sugar fasting and it came to be 85mg/dl ,I had cold and chest infection that day so I had been taking cough syrup and amoxicillin ,anyway I had my routine breakfast and then I did my postparandial test after one hour it came out to be 166mg/dl and I was shocked to see this much spike and after that I waited another hour and when exactly 2hours passed from my breakfast I did another test and it came to be 112mg/dl... now I am just curious to know is this kind of blood sugar spike normal after one hour after eating and what are the normal values for fasting , one hour after eating and two hour after eating....

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Without knowing what you ate it would be impossible to even make a guess.
    High carbs usually means high glucose 2 hours after starting to eat, and low carb normally means within the rise of two whole numbers which is what many aim for. Middling carbs middling rise.
    The usual timing is 2 hours, once you get into a routine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Everyone will see some sort of spike round about an hour after food, including non diabetics, depending on the food eaten. The only guidelines we have is for a test 2 hours after first bite. In your measurement units, this rise should be no more than 36mg/dl (in UK units this is 2mmol/l) and preferably less. More than this and there are too many carbs in that meal.

Edited to add that your cough syrup and medication may well adversely influence your numbers

• Like Like x 2
  4. Altaf_7

No it was nothing like high carb ... I had two egg whites and a cup of tea with 2slices of bread with butter

• Like Like x 1
  5. Altaf_7

36 is hypoglycemia ... anything less than 70 is hypoglycemia what we have here in India is less than 110mg/dl -6.1 mol for fasting and less than 130mg/dl-7.2 mol after two hours after eating

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

If your pre meal reading is 85, then your two hours after first bite should be no higher than 110, if it is higher, then either a particular food or a combination of food from that meal has spiked you too high.

7. Lamont D

The bread will spike you!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Altaf_7

It’s not the white bread... it’s a different kind of bread

9. Lamont D

If it is wheat, oats, grains, even if it is low GI, it will be the bread.
    The carbs in the bread will spike you.
    It can't be anything else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

All bread will spike you, no matter what colour it is. It is high in carbohydrate.

When I said 36mg/dl I was referring to the rise in levels from before eating to after eating. I wasn't referring to the actual level. You should not increase your levels by more than 36mg/dl .

• Like Like x 2
  11. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I'm afraid that is the exact opposite of the LCHF diet recommended - whole eggs scrambled with butter or olive oil, with some low carb addition such as mushrooms or sweet pepper, and no bread would be my choice.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Olufisayo

Olufisayo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had 303 mg/dl, 16. 8 after my meal yesterday. I sent a SOS message to this forum. This morning I was on 5. 4 @ 7.30. Thank you good people!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

Yes it is .... do NOT eat bread unless and until you test and confirm. Wheat is not good

• Like Like x 1
  14. lindijanice

lindijanice Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could eat only one slice of your type of bread and see how you get on, andeat the whole egg:)L

All of us are very different and can tolerate different things, so you won't personally know until you test, test and then test again!! Someone mentioned that they test three times for certain carbs and if they get good readings all three times, that is an ok carb meal to have but retests that same carb once in a while to make sure it is still okay!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook