2 questions about low carbing

jonnoras

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I've been very low carbing for about 2 months now. My weight is dropping and I am getting close to where I want to be. The effect on my blood is also pretty good. I am rarely above 6mmol after 1 hr. However, my FBG seems to be creeping upwards. I have been hovering in the mid 4's but this week I am reading in the low to mid 5's. I have 2 questions which, when I research on the old interweb, I cannot seem to find a satisfactory answer to.
Q1 I have read about low carbing and possibility of this inducing insulin resistance, and in particular slowly raising FBG levels - is this true? I understand the mechanics of this (if it is true) but it looks like the only solution is to eat more carbs - which will have the obvious effect of raising my post postprandial blood sugars.
Q2 As I approach my preferred body weight, how do I stop myself loosing weight and going on a long term maintenance diet.

Sorry for all the questions but I am still learning an awful lot about managing blood sugar.

Many thanks in advance.

J

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
1. There is something called physiological insulin resistance (PIR), which is not the same as the insulin resistance we, as diabetics, may have. It does happen to some people after very low carbing for a period of time, but it is also fairly temporary. If this is what your problem is, just carry on as normal and forget about your FBG. As long as your post meal rise (from before to after) is not increasing, there is nothing to be concerned about. It happened to me earlier this year. My base level increased by above half a mmol/l but the rise after a meal actually improved. This meant I may have been slightly higher, but I was flatter with much less variance, and this is what is important. My PIR disappeared after a couple of months and now my base levels are what they used to be and my post meal rises have stayed at the improved level. Win, win.

2. You need to make plans about a maintenance diet well before you reach your goal weight. I didn't, and I just kept on losing. You can up the carbs, but that isn't wise. You can up the protein a bit, and you can up the fats. It took me 2 months to steady my weight, which is why I said you need to plan in advance. It wasn't easy. It is a fine balance and may take a bit of trial and error, so your scales will become your second best friend after your meter. I upped the fats, but as this involved introducing (amongst other things) cheese and more eggs to my diet, it also involved extra protein. I did not up the carbs. I eventually found the right balance and have now maintained my goal weight for over 18 months.

jonnoras

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. Thanks for the information. Have you got any examples of the amounts of food you might have for a typical breakfast lunch and dinner. Today I had 3 sausages, mushrooms and an egg fried in butter for breakfast / for lunch I had lots of stir fry veg and chicken with cheese and almonds added and for dinner I had gammon salad. I feel I am eating quite a lot (also I'm not doing a great deal of exercise) and I'm still loosing weight. Have you found any side effects of being on such low carbs for this amount of time. I find my joints ache an awful lot.
J

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't give you examples. Everyone has different metabolisms, different aims, different weight, different exercise regimes. I believe it is best to eat just enough to satiate your appetite. When you are full, stop eating and never eat for the sake of it.

I've had no side effects.

Are you taking statins or other medicines? Statins especially can cause painful joints